Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 07:07 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I understand. But the reason I constantly debate these points with people is because no one can ever tell me what Deep South attributes are absent from Houston. All they can ever tell me is what Houston has that can't be found in the Deep South, and, as you yourself said, that exact same argument can be made for Atlanta. It's likely that I'll never get a real answer.

Even once you get outside of discussing the major cities, every single person who usually participates in these debates has their own definition of what the Deep South is. No two people seem to agree on any specific barriers. I still insist that my definition is the most historically and culturally conclusive, and feel that I have objectively demonstrated this repeatedly, but I'm learning to live with opposing opinions. A while back I told myself that this was one topic I wasn't allowed to participate in, since people don't seem to respond well to me telling them that they're wrong.
Oh boy... People don't respond well to you telling them that they're wrong? Um, ok... Hahaha! Try flipping that in reverse, and then you're on to something.

Perhaps it's that you continuously convince yourself that you're always right, and anyone who disagrees with you or has a different point of view are the ones who are "wrong"?

Welcome to C-D.

Quote:
Hey, you disagree with me quite often as well
I'm just sharing my opinions and perspective. I don't expect everybody to agree with them. I know they're just opinions. However, many times my opinions are shared by many other people. When it comes to our respective hometown (I'm assuming you live in Houston, or at least grew up there), you and I tend to butt heads. That's fine. I take no personal offense to anything you have said. Not here, or in any previous discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 07:18 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Oh boy... People don't respond well to you telling them that they're wrong? Um, ok... Hahaha! Try flipping that in reverse, and then you're on to something.
I don't get it.

Quote:
Perhaps it's that you continuously convince yourself that you're always right, and anyone who disagrees with you or has a different point of view are the ones who are "wrong"?
I'm not always right, but if I'm able to demonstrate that my argument is based more on fact and historical evidence while the other person's argument is inconclusive, then I certainly feel that I have room to insist that they are wrong and I am right. Not that it matters since facts get little respect here. Even a Harvard scholar won't be taken seriously on City Data.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not always right, but if I'm able to demonstrate that my argument is based more on fact and historical evidence while the other person's argument is inconclusive, then I certainly feel that I have room to insist that they are wrong and I am right.
So, how exactly have you done that here?

Old 12-26-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
So, how exactly have you done that here?
I'm talking about in the past. I haven't even bothered in this thread. It never gets me anywhere.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
To a point. Once you're West of Beaumont on I-10, you're really not in the deep South anymore.
agreed.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:54 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times
My personal opinion is that Houston is the deep south thru and thru. I could see where some would disagree with that, but to me, Houston feels like a fast, diverse version of a deep south city, that has alot of hispanics. Now, i DONT think it would be the quintessential deep south city, because of these very attributes...but i would and do classify it as a deep south city, in general, but especially its suburbs in particular.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
agreed.
What happens west of Beaumont?

I know I said I'm done, but I'm especially interested in your answer.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
My personal opinion is that Houston is the deep south thru and thru. I could see where some would disagree with that, but to me, Houston feels like a fast, diverse version of a deep south city, that has alot of hispanics. Now, i DONT think it would be the quintessential deep south city, because of these very attributes...but i would and do classify it as a deep south city, in general, but especially its suburbs in particular.
What exactly is it about Houston that makes you think of it as a deep South city? Especially it's suburbs?

Not trying to argue, I'm just genuinely curious.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:11 PM

89 posts, read 120,524 times
Upper South : Norfolk, VA. Southern enough with northern attributes. Still retains it charm.
Deep South: Birmingham, AL. Undoubtedly southern, with all the southern hospitality.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:16 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
What happens west of Beaumont?

I know I said I'm done, but I'm especially interested in your answer.
It becomes simply the South but a different aspect of the South. Just like Miami or even Orlando is. There maybe some neighborhoods that has resembles the deep south. I can find areas in South Florida that resemble the deep south. I do not under any circumstance get the same vibe in most of Houston that I would get in say Birmingham or Jackson, Mississippi. Heck, I don't get the same vibe even from Memphis compared to Houston. It feels like a very international gulf coast southern city. Like a larger Tampa Bay area without the amount of retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City