Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city should host the 2024 Olympics
Boston 49 24.87%
Los Angeles 42 21.32%
San Francisco 62 31.47%
Washington DC 44 22.34%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:42 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
Btw, I know Hollywood is so very often associated with idiocy but I don't think even Hollywood would ever try to claim that a city like St Louis is above the likes of NYC and Chicago in status because they managed to win an Olympics bid.
There's that butthurt over NYC's failed bid again. You say you've never lived there long term? The NYC cheerleader outfit you have on (with color-coordinated pom-poms) suggests otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 02:51 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
I voted for Boston... Not exactly for infrastructure reasons, but more of a "current news" type of thing...
The Boston Marathon bombing is still fresh in many minds... I think it would be the ultimate F YOU to all the idiocy you see in the news practically every day now.
Having representatives from most of the world in one place... Back in a place that was violated. Use that opportunity to send a message of relentless perseverance in a city that has enough pride to pull of an unforgettable Olympics.
Except it will be in 2024...several years after the incident. Fortunately or unfortunately, it will be way off people's minds by then. It wasn't exactly 3000 people and a couple towers going down (not to take away from the significance of those lives, taken in Boston, to their families), but that is just reality...rather small event on the world stage.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:06 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
WRONG.

This is NOT a thread about development, nor is it about unity(Give me a BREAK)-this is a versus thread.

The process of bidding for the Olympics is far more than who has the prettiest stadium and certainly entails far more than what makes Americans feel warm and fuzzy. No one outside of DC cares about DC showcasing itself to the world-big whoop.

One of the biggest factors in winning the Olympics is economic development in low income or distressed areas of a city. Do you know anything about this process?

Also, a versus thread doesn't have to be negative. One of the skills most posters on the city vs. city board lack is the ability to give constructive criticism. It’s impossible to even make a comparison without a SWOT analysis which most posters on this board lack the knowledge to create for most cities so it’s a waste of time. That's the only way to be fair to all cities involved.

This is the reason why I wouldn't argue who should get the Olympics based on what the other cities lack, I just build up the things I know my city has because I would be doing the other cities an injustice if I tried to compare when I don't have all the facts, plans, or proposals for each respective city. It's also why I don't come into threads comparing who has better "whatever..." unless I know from personal experience how good a city is in that current year. You guys should try it sometimes... I just talk about my own city since I am an expert in that.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:49 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

One of the biggest factors in winning the Olympics is economic development in low income or distressed areas of a city. Do you know anything about this process?

Also, a versus thread doesn't have to be negative. One of the skills most posters on the city vs. city board lack is the ability to give constructive criticism. It’s impossible to even make a comparison without a SWOT analysis which most posters on this board lack the knowledge to create for most cities so it’s a waste of time. That's the only way to be fair to all cities involved.

This is the reason why I wouldn't argue who should get the Olympics based on what the other cities lack, I just build up the things I know my city has because I would be doing the other cities an injustice if I tried to compare when I don't have all the facts, plans, or proposals for each respective city. It's also why I don't come into threads comparing who has better "whatever..." unless I know from personal experience how good a city is in that current year. You guys should try it sometimes... I just talk about my own city since I am an expert in that.
No, that is NOT one of the biggest factors for determining who wins, cut the bullsh*t. That's how they entice taxpayers and investors--The IOC doesnt care.

Gawd, there is way too much naivete in this thread.

The only way to win is to convince delegates to vote for you, and each one has their own agenda.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:57 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Anyway, as I said on page 1, say what you will about LA, but when it comes to getting medals, LA reigns supreme. SF is a very distant 2nd.

Which American Cities Won the Most Medals? - CityLab

Old 12-19-2014, 03:58 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
Quote:

The LA bid proposes a USC/DTLA-centric hub, which is an area that could use economic development- especially USC. USC may be one of the most expensive universities in the USA, but the area surrounding it is literally South Central, and needs all the help it can get. London won the 2012 bid partially on the economic development that the new facilities promised to bring to East London, and South Central LA is an area far more in need of investment than East London ever was.

There's also the public transportation angle. LA already has all the venues it needs, so most of the cash spent on the games would go towards accelerating the 5 rail projects currently under construction, and possibly even funding additional ones that haven't been started yet. Funding mass transit is a far more realistic way of generating real economic development than building some shiny new stadiums and an Olympic Village that will sit vacant immediately after the Games are over. I don't know if the USOC and the IOC will see it that way, but that's the reality.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Anyway, as I said on page 1, say what you will about LA, but when it comes to getting medals, LA reigns supreme. SF is a very distant 2nd.

Which American Cities Won the Most Medals? - CityLab
If Los Angeles was a country, it would have ranked 5th in total medals. It produced more medalists than Germany. Pretty cool.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Has anybody ever wondered why 18Montclair is so mad all the time. You have to wonder what could make someone so angry all the time.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:18 PM

65 posts, read 90,116 times
Quote:
Has anybody ever wondered why 18Montclair is so mad all the time. You have to wonder what could make someone so angry all the time.
Lol Monty ain't angry. Maybe the facts make you angry but Monty ain't mad.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifNumberOne View Post
Lol Monty ain't angry. Maybe the facts make you angry but Monty ain't mad.
How could you think I'm angry? I'm the one being positive. He is the one being negative. I don't really understand how you got an angry tone from reading my post. Now, reading his posts, he is saying things like "cut the bull $&@#" and other profane language and responding with a negative tone versus an unbiased tone when talking about the other cities. Do you really think the USOC is going to use that tone or this kind of language when discussing the strengths and weaknesses for each respective city? You guys really need to take a step back and examine the things you all are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City