Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city should host the 2024 Olympics
Boston 49 24.87%
Los Angeles 42 21.32%
San Francisco 62 31.47%
Washington DC 44 22.34%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:44 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
How am I ever going to recover after that comeback? I'm surprised you didn't associate Santa with some KGB conspiracy somewhere in there to be honest.

Oh the irony. Let's say we buy into your analogies of cities being of picked based on their image, both DC and LA have enough of negative representation among people:

The Government - Corruption
Hollywood - Stupidity

SF and it's hippie/weirdo image isn't exactly a positive thing either. So that just leaves Boston then.

Btw, I know you live in "The Bay" but you seem to represent LA's image much better. You sure you're living in the right place?
The butthurt over NYC's failed 2016 bid is palpable here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I dont understand why everyone is saying Paris is the favorite. Yes it will be the 100th anniversary of their games, but it would have only been a few olympics since it was in London. Not to mention France is about to slip into another recession & the people of Paris don't look upon the Olympics very positively

I doubt London 2012 will be on the voter's minds when they make their selection considering Tokyo is hosting a mere 12 years after Beijing. It seems like a no-brainer to give it to Paris, but you're right, if the public is against it, the games will go elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 04:57 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
How am I ever going to recover after that comeback? I'm surprised you didn't associate Santa with some KGB conspiracy somewhere in there to be honest.

Oh the irony. Let's say we buy into your analogies of cities being of picked based on their image, both DC and LA have enough of negative representation among people:

The Government - Corruption
Hollywood - Stupidity

SF and it's hippie/weirdo image isn't exactly a positive thing either. So that just leaves Boston then.

Btw, I know you live in "The Bay" but you seem to represent LA's image much better. You sure you're living in the right place?
blah blah blah.

I said Sochi and the forthcoming trainwreck in Rio is PROOF that they dont pick "the best plan" and your response is nonsensical because you know Im right.

Or do you think that half completed hotels and displaced shantytowns is 'the best plan'

Actually, dont you worry your pretty little head about this. Just go back and finish writing your letter to Santa.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:59 PM

And you are off your rocker if you think most people in the world think Hollywood=Stupidity.

Hardly, they follow everything that happens in LA farrrr more than DC.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:26 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Let's not turn this in to your typical DC bash fest type of thread bro, we know you don't respect us and hate our city but don't demean every fact that was stated in the thread so you can go off on your predictable and typical "everybody hates DC/ DC is politically corrupt" tangent that you do once a month. We aren't doing that for your beloved WC cities so show some courtesy.

People follow Hollywood, not "LA's international image." Hollywood is the international image of the city that's it. Not the urban fabric of the city and it's natives like NYC. Get it right bro, LA is half Mexican immigrants, just like Houston and Dallas, many people (Internationally)couldn't guess outside of Hollywood/TV and beaches what LA holds unique to the world. It's not Rome, or Paris, or even Beijing it's Los Angeles.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The butthurt over NYC's failed 2016 bid is palpable here.
Ah...now I see.

It's a shame really. New York should have won, but American bids seem to put together PR schemes that cater to sentimental Americans that jerk plenty of tears IN THE US but garner very little endearment from foreigners.

Hence neither NYC nor Chicago even made it to the final round of voting.

But I digress, cityguy7 has a point-I am wayyy too jaded when it comes to the process.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Let's not turn this in to your typical DC bash fest type of thread bro, we know you don't respect us and hate our city but don't demean every fact that was stated in the thread so you can go off on your predictable and typical "everybody hates DC/ DC is politically corrupt" tangent that you do once a month. We aren't doing that for your beloved WC cities so show some courtesy.

People follow Hollywood, not "LA's international image." Hollywood is the international image of the city that's it. Not the urban fabric of the city and it's natives like NYC. Get it right bro, LA is half Mexican immigrants, just like Houston and Dallas, many people (Internationally)couldn't guess outside of Hollywood/TV and beaches what LA holds unique to the world. It's not Rome, or Paris, or even Beijing it's Los Angeles.
Well, regardless, LA has the most powerful city brand in the world.

Top 10
1 Los Angeles
2 New York
3 London
4 Paris
5 Seoul
6 Barcelona
7 Rio de Janeiro
8 San Francisco
9 Las Vegas
10 Dubai

The world cities with the most powerful brands - get the data | Cities | The Guardian

Old 12-18-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Top 10
1 Los Angeles
2 New York
3 London
4 Paris
5 Seoul
6 Barcelona
7 Rio de Janeiro
8 San Francisco
9 Las Vegas
10 Dubai

The world cities with the most powerful brands - get the data | Cities | The Guardian
How does this discredit my point?? Due to Hollywood! I said. Again people know the city for one thing only. NY is known for more than Wall St.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:40 PM

It seems that East Coast people resent how liked LA is abroad. lol

Old 12-18-2014, 05:47 PM

560 posts, read 666,935 times
Quote:

Top 10
1 Los Angeles
2 New York
3 London
4 Paris
5 Seoul
6 Barcelona
7 Rio de Janeiro
8 San Francisco
9 Las Vegas
10 Dubai

Since this thread already derailed, rolled 40 times, fell off the side of a cliff, crashed into the ocean, and sunk to the bottom of the Marianas, I just wanted to note how impressive Barcelona is.

Not even in the top 50 metro populations but the number 6 most successful city brand. Good stuff there.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Thirdly, Los Angeles has an liked international image and caché that DC does NOT.

DC.
And even if you firmly believe this is true, it shows how you don't see the bigger picture as to why Washington DC is the PERFECT place to choose out of the options. The hidden gem with the most potential out of all the cities and by FAR the most misunderstood, would be the prime example of why you could turn the tide/ perception of what a great city it is and showcase it to the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City