Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city should host the 2024 Olympics
Boston 49 24.87%
Los Angeles 42 21.32%
San Francisco 62 31.47%
Washington DC 44 22.34%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:21 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
One can make a good case for DC, but this isn't it. I know many people in DC tend to treat numbers as an abstraction, but 13.6% is not “half”. Mexican Immigrants in the United States | migrationpolicy.org In fact, it’s something a bigot says, bro.

Here another number: 13. As in: “the heat index is 13 degrees higher in DC than downtown Los Angeles in August.” Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And recognition for merely Hollywood and beaches far exceeds any globally-held affinity for DC.
but the LA Olympics would be help in DTLA, not in Hollywood or along the beaches. So does recognition for those two things really matter when the tourists would be far from them?

Last edited by Yac; 12-31-2014 at 06:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:22 PM

65 posts, read 90,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
If you want me to take you seriously, at least act like you know how to write English. But to comment, you have done nothing but provide your biased opinions without actual fact to back you up. Like I said, LA is very American centric with a lot of American businesses & American celebrities. Like I said, it is a great city. But not as international as DC
Not as international as DC?!?! DC?!?!?.......... DC?!?!? Omfg lmfao this is getting more retarded every post xDD you'd like to believe that b.s. but too bad don't work that way

Old 12-18-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifNumberOne View Post
Biased opinions?? I was naming facts. Oh and sorry I don't text like a white person cuz I'm jot white??? Lol? Just cause da truth hurts don't mean I'm pulling out info out ta the garbage like these DC lovers.
If being educated is associated with being white, America is going down hill fast. But anyways, you aren't worth my time, you spit out information that isn't true nor is it backed up with any sources. Therefore your argument is invalid in every sense

Old 12-18-2014, 06:25 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Omfg wtf. More complete BS^^
This is so funny xD. IMA tell people about these jealous east coast LA bashers xD
Dude your responses sound like a 16 yr old trying to argue, I respond back with factual information and all you say is this is BS as your rebuttle lol. I'm done with you man.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
If being educated is associated with being white, America is going down hill fast. But anyways, you aren't worth my time, you spit out information that isn't true nor is it backed up with any sources. Therefore your argument is invalid in every sense

Lol because I don't text like you I'm uneducated?!? Pathetic. You sound racist and I ain't lyin . still can't believe people think DC compared to LA. Facts? Like the ones I named earlier? I didn't lie about LA unlike these jealous LA bashers trying to say DC is actually comparable. LA is ranked 6th in the world. But that don't matter right?

Old 12-18-2014, 06:29 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
One can make a good case for DC, but this isn't it. I know many people in DC tend to treat numbers as an abstraction, but 13.6% is not “half”. Mexican Immigrants in the United States | migrationpolicy.org In fact, it’s something a bigot says, bro.

Here another number: 13. As in: “the heat index is 13 degrees higher in DC than downtown Los Angeles in August.” Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And recognition for merely Hollywood and beaches far exceeds any globally-held affinity for DC.
Fair enough, but outside the U.S. what more is LA known for beyond Hollywood, if anything SF has much about it's city that is known to foreigners 'Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, the rolling hills as a part of its topography' etc.

Just like globally people know about Brooklyn and the Bronx or Long Island beyond Manhattan.

Last edited by Yac; 12-31-2014 at 06:12 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Dude your responses sound like a 16 yr old trying to argue, I respond back with factual information and all you say is this is BS as your rebuttle lol. I'm done with you man.
Thank God. You are ignorant and even if I started naming facts you would just ignore it then start with some ridiculous outlier that don't have to do with anything. Sorry but ain't nobody fooled when you say DC yea lol * D C *is comparable to LA.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Lol because I don't text like you I'm uneducated?!? Pathetic. You sound racist and I ain't lyin . still can't believe people think DC compared to LA. Facts? Like the ones I named earlier? I didn't lie about LA unlike these jealous LA bashers trying to say DC is actually comparable. LA is ranked 6th in the world. But that don't matter right?
You literally brought it up first by saying proper English is speaking like a white person... If anything, you're the racist. But anyways, you pull these numbers out of no where & expect me to believe them & if I don't believe them you say I am stupid. Please go back to high school.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
but the LA Olympics would be help in DTLA, not in Hollywood or along the beaches. So does recognition for those two things really matter when the tourists would be far from them?
So, people from around the globe are going to travel to the Olympics for the sole purpose of visiting only the venue to which they obtained tickets and then leave immediately? Or are they more likely to visit other parts of, not only the city, but the region, like Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, SF, Napa, San Diego etc?

Here's the venue map from '84. CityDig: See an Event Map from L.A.'s 1984 Olympics - Los Angeles Magazine,

Since then they've added beach volleyball, which draws some of the best TV ratings. They can play it where it was born.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
So, people from around the globe are going to travel to the Olympics for the sole purpose of visiting only the venue to which they obtained tickets and then leave immediately? Or are they more likely to visit other parts of, not only the city, but the region, like Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, SF, Napa, San Diego etc?

Here's the venue map from '84. CityDig: See an Event Map from L.A.'s 1984 Olympics - Los Angeles Magazine,

Since then they've added beach volleyball, which draws some of the best TV ratings. They can play it where it was born.
LA's lack of a good rapid transit system means that, yes, most people would stay around the venues. Even with good rapid transit most tourists stay around the Olympic sight, as London showed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City