Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area would be better for me?
Indianapolis metro 57 50.44%
Richmond metro 56 49.56%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 07:23 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times

Advertisements

I don't care about vibrant, active or culture or any of that crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 09:55 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
I think both cities may be too cool for the op...

Old 12-23-2014, 10:00 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Really and you dont care about culture, people, scenery, gay community, things to do and that other crap?
Huh? I'm just saying that I am more introverted in general and don't care about things like nightlife, festivals or restaurants. I don't like trendy places either, or places full of yuppies.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:55 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Then what was the point of this thread? to stir the pot up or what?
Yea, why even compare the cities if you hate cities in general. It's obvious that VA and the east coast will offer a lot more outdoors and recreation than central Indiana.

I know I said that Richmond will have less "culture shock" based on your criteria (Indian simply doesn't really have as much to offer you as Virginia would), but Indianapolis is a large city and there will not be any sort of culture shock difference between Indy and Richmond within the cities themselves.

I just wanted to clarify that I was not saying that Indy is some sort of hick town in flyover country or something. It's a good sized metro. It's just lacking in recreation and non-city attractions. Honestly Richmond only wins this debate because of that. Otherwise, It's sort of boring city for as large and historic as it is.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:47 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, why even compare the cities if you hate cities in general. It's obvious that VA and the east coast will offer a lot more outdoors and recreation than central Indiana.

I know I said that Richmond will have less "culture shock" based on your criteria (Indian simply doesn't really have as much to offer you as Virginia would), but Indianapolis is a large city and there will not be any sort of culture shock difference between Indy and Richmond within the cities themselves.

I just wanted to clarify that I was not saying that Indy is some sort of hick town in flyover country or something. It's a good sized metro. It's just lacking in recreation and non-city attractions. Honestly Richmond only wins this debate because of that. Otherwise, It's sort of boring city for as large and historic as it is.
Yes, when it comes to recreation outside the city in VA there is more to do in terms of mountains, more better beaches and more significant historic points of interests (ie colonial Williamsburg a must see, btw). However, when you look at another criteria Indy's urban downtown core has a lot more vibrancy at street level than downtown Richmond with more to do. Richmond could actually learn a lot from Indy to help improve it's downtown. Cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh have actually looked to Indy for ways to help revitalize their downtowns (just look at them today). Now outside of downtown Richmond's neighborhoods are in better shape with a lot more historic homes intact.

Richmond could learn a lot from Indy's urban street level vibrancy. The Cultural Trail's (bike/pedestrian network) design linking all the neighborhoods is top quality.

https://dfwreimagined.files.wordpres...ymeetup015.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 12-11-2015 at 06:02 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 860 times
My husband took a job in Indy recently, and I went up for a house hunting visit. I'm not finding anything and I'm uneasy with how close blighted areas are to more pricey areas. I can't imagine spending a million plus in a house a few blocks away from $80K houses. I prefer older historic homes and that's what seems to be a common theme in Indy, if you want to buy closer in. I'm just not a suburban cookie-cutter type person. I like Indy's downtown, but I'm not sure it's enough to get me to invest in a $800-$1M home there...seems risky with homes in that price range taking years to sell. (We are coming from Dallas, TX)
We are within 10 years of retirement, and are toying with the idea of buying where we want to end up, and my hubby commuting to Indy to work. VA appeals to me because you are close to mountains, water, big cities, but I've never been to Richmond. I don't want more of the same tha Indy offers.
I don't need the size of Dallas, or the sporting teams (I'm a Packer fan anyway), but outdoor recreation is high on my list. Not sure about going back to dreadful winters either. Hmmmm......where to live, where to live? Maybe neither of these cities, but where?

Old 01-14-2016, 09:57 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyCottage View Post
My husband took a job in Indy recently, and I went up for a house hunting visit. I'm not finding anything and I'm uneasy with how close blighted areas are to more pricey areas. I can't imagine spending a million plus in a house a few blocks away from $80K houses. I prefer older historic homes and that's what seems to be a common theme in Indy, if you want to buy closer in. I'm just not a suburban cookie-cutter type person. I like Indy's downtown, but I'm not sure it's enough to get me to invest in a $800-$1M home there...seems risky with homes in that price range taking years to sell. (We are coming from Dallas, TX)
We are within 10 years of retirement, and are toying with the idea of buying where we want to end up, and my hubby commuting to Indy to work. VA appeals to me because you are close to mountains, water, big cities, but I've never been to Richmond. I don't want more of the same tha Indy offers.
I don't need the size of Dallas, or the sporting teams (I'm a Packer fan anyway), but outdoor recreation is high on my list. Not sure about going back to dreadful winters either. Hmmmm......where to live, where to live? Maybe neither of these cities, but where?
Why are you wanting to drop nearly a million bucks on a house in Indy? Meridian-Kessler has some nice homes, but there is no need to spend that much on housing here.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:54 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,736 times
Richmond has enormous street level vibrancy, so I tend to think a person decrying it has never been here.

do a google news search on Richmond, and see how many national top 10 lists it's won. See how much the New York Times writes about it. See zillow this week on the housing market. Etc. etc.

Honestly, I moved to Richmond from Boston and love it. I'd never consider moving to Indianopolis - even my friends there all moved out as fast as they could. The 2 cities aren't in the same league.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyCottage View Post
Why would you spend that much? Indy is cheap, what might cost $800K a lot of places would go for much less here. If you want to live in the city, you are going to have questionable areas near you. That goes just about everywhere, not just Indianapolis.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:54 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
From Rich, been to Indu, and besides the airport, Indy loses this battle. Indianapolis is truly one of, if not THE, most boring large cities in the entire nation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City