Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Has Better Architecture, True Urban Feel, Nightlife, & Culture, Baltimore Or DC?
Baltimore 30 49.18%
DC 31 50.82%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 03:51 PM

673 posts, read 1,187,948 times

Advertisements

Baltimore Vs DC

Last edited by PurpleHaze1100; 12-18-2014 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 05:35 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Best Architecture: Tied DC has better architecture in its CBD, Baltimore has better residential.
True Urban Feel: slight edge to DC. DC has more of metropolis feel, but Baltimore is more structurally dense
Nightlife: DC has more clubs, mega-clubs, Baltimore is more of a bar city
Culture: Kind of vague, but DC has more and better museums, Baltimore has better local culture.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:14 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,714 times
Architecture: DC has way more iconic buildings than Baltimore, but overall DC & Baltimore are both pretty bland in this respect
Urban Feel: DC by far. Metro, second biggest downtown in the US, among the most walkable cities in the US, higher population density than Baltimore. It is pretty clear to me
Nightlife: DC has a lot of clubs, Arlington has a lot of bars. Baltimore just has a lot of bars
Culture: DC definitely. It has a very international, cosmopolitan culture because of all the international organizations & embassies. But i guess Baltimore has a strong crab culture. But I don't think crab culture compares to international culture.
It kind of sucks that people keep comparing DC to Baltimore because both cities are great, but DC is much better. DC is one of the top five cities in the nation, whereas Baltimore is more like top 20

Old 12-19-2014, 03:50 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Architecture: DC has way more iconic buildings than Baltimore, but overall DC & Baltimore are both pretty bland in this respect
Urban Feel: DC by far. Metro, second biggest downtown in the US, among the most walkable cities in the US, higher population density than Baltimore. It is pretty clear to me
Nightlife: DC has a lot of clubs, Arlington has a lot of bars. Baltimore just has a lot of bars
Culture: DC definitely. It has a very international, cosmopolitan culture because of all the international organizations & embassies. But i guess Baltimore has a strong crab culture. But I don't think crab culture compares to international culture.
It kind of sucks that people keep comparing DC to Baltimore because both cities are great, but DC is much better. DC is one of the top five cities in the nation, whereas Baltimore is more like top 20

I agree with this list however outside of most parts of the two cities' downtowns, how is the architecture in both DC and Bmore in any way, shape, or form "boring"?

Some of the most architecturally interesting and beautiful neighborhoods in both cities:

For DC: Capitol Hill, Adams Morgan, Anacostia, parts of Congress Heights, LeDroit Park, U Street, Shaw, Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Woodley Park, Mount Pleasant, Columbia Heights, H Street NE/Atlas District, Truxton Circle, Forest Hills, Cleveland Park, Lanier Heights, Takoma, 16th Street Heights, Logan Circle, Park View, etc.

For Bmore: Bolton Hill, Federal Hill, Locust Point, Mount Vernon, Canton, Midtown, Fells Point, Patterson Park, Roland Park, Tuscany-Canterbury, Little Italy, etc.

Last edited by tcave360; 12-19-2014 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-19-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I agree with this list however outside of most parts of the two cities' downtowns, how is the architecture in both DC and Bmore in any way, shape, or form "boring"?

Some of the most architecturally interesting and beautiful neighborhoods in both cities:

For DC: Capitol Hill, Adams Morgan, Anacostia, parts of Congress Heights, LeDroit Park, U Street, Shaw, Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Woodley Park, Mount Pleasant, Columbia Heights, H Street NE/Atlas District, Truxton Circle, Forest Hills, Cleveland Park, Lanier Heights, Takoma, 16th Street Heights, Logan Circle, Park View, etc.

For Bmore: Bolton Hill, Federal Hill, Locust Point, Mount Vernon, Canton, Midtown, Fells Point, Patterson Park, Roland Park, Tuscany-Canterbury, Little Italy, etc.
Those cities do have some interesting architecture, but overall it is just row houses. Pretty in small quantities, but with too many they just become normal & uninteresting

Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 PM

797 posts, read 1,431,087 times
D.C. and Baltimore architecture is bland?? Explain please.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:04 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,860 times
Quote:
Those cities do have some interesting architecture, but overall it is just row houses. Pretty in small quantities, but with too many they just become normal & uninteresting
Are you kidding me, Row houses NEVER get Old

Old 12-19-2014, 07:00 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
By that definition, Philly and New York are boring as well. As is San Francisco even though technically those aren't rowhouses.

Might as well call out New Orleans for having too many shotgun houses, Chicago for having too many bungalows, LA for having too many ranch-style homes, etc.

Regardless of what you personally feel, all I gotta say is welcome to the Rowhouse Belt. I love the endless plethora of them in the cities that are within this region.

Edit: And another thing, even though practically every neighborhood in DC has rowhouses and townhouses, there's quite a few neighborhoods where you can have a little more space with more standalone or semi-detached housing options such as Brookland, North Michigan Park, Michigan Park, Woodbridge, Takoma, Burlieth, American University Park, 16th Street Heights, Crestwood, Forest Hills, Manor Park, Penn Branch, North Cleveland Park, Friendship Heights, etc.

Last edited by tcave360; 12-19-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 12-19-2014, 07:49 PM

797 posts, read 1,431,087 times
Maybe cookie cutter newer architecture would be better haha

Old 12-19-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Maybe cookie cutter newer architecture would be better haha
vs cookie cutter 19th century architecture? For me, I don't like any city to have too much of the same era of buildings. DC has a lot of modern & row house architecture. Fun for a little while, but then become the norm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City