Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 11:14 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

There are a bunch of threads on this topic on multiple sections of the C-D forum(General US, NYC forum, FL forum....).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 11:22 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Wow California still #2 in growth

Old 12-25-2014, 11:25 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Wow California still #2 in growth
Yep. By now California's population should have surpassed 39 Million.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:37 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Furthermore, energy is not doing well right now due to plunging oil prices, hence the much cheaper gas-that takes money out of the states most dependent on that industry.

I'm actually a bit concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Chronicle
Now, after four years of leading
the nation's job growth on a
tidal wave of shale oil, Texas is
beginning to hear echoes of the
past. U.S. benchmark crude
brought $54.11 a barrel last
Thursday - a low for the year
and barely half its 2014 high of
$107.26 on June 20. The price
recovered on Friday to $56.52.

Oil's fall in early 1986 was
farther and faster - from a high
for the year of $26.57 on Jan. 6
to a low of $10.42 on March 31,
and only $12.78 by the end of
June. Adjusted for inflation, the
52 percent January-June drop
was about $27.

"I wish I could paint a rosy
picture, but I'm a realist. This is
my fourth downturn," said
Oldham. "Everything's going to
get pretty ugly. It'll take a couple
of years for this to work itself
out and get back on track."
Crude calculation: Another decade, another oil bust - Houston Chronicle

Old 12-25-2014, 11:43 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Especially when seemingly half of New York moves to Florida
A lot of your "snowbirds" back in the day would either have a second home down south or retire. Some of the people from up north who retire down south usually have some of it's family members tagging along which adds to the migration (the younger generation who tagged along that have remained will have probably added more new members to the population). My uncle has recently sold his home in Philly (where he grew up) will now be retiring in North Carolina. My friend's dad who is from NY also retired and moved down to Florida. So yes the population demographics of northern transplants in the Southeast is more wide spread than it was say 30 or 40 years ago since the trend continued.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:39 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,439 times
Actually I wouldn't mind a bust, it may slow Texas population down a bit so infrastructure can keep up. But unfortunately that's wishful thinking since Texas grew nearly 3 million during the 80's boom and bust cycle.
But progress is progress I suppose.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:46 PM

412 posts, read 545,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Actually I wouldn't mind a bust, it may slow Texas population down in which it needs so infrastructure can keep up. California, and Florida you can have all the population you want, I love my space and fresh air.
It's getting way too crowded.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:05 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
California is taxing itself to the brink of collapse. I have had several friends move because of that.
I wouldn't say that. I have multiple friends who left California as well, but mostly it was the cost of living that made them throw in the towel and stop messing with it all.

It's an interesting state. It's growing, but the dynamics are different from many other fast growing states. The state loses a HUGE number of established residents each year to the rest of the country, although it gains even more than that, mostly in the form of hispanic immigrants.

From 1990 to now the state had the largest % decrease in its white population, and easily had the largest drop in sheer numbers, down by over 2 million. It also had second largest decline in overall white population, from 57% of the state to 39%.

Back from the 1800's to the mid 90's or so the state was the "california dream", people were moving there by the hundreds of thousands each year from elsewhere in the country. Almost every knew someone who had moved west to the state in hopes of finding themselves, of finding money, good weather, etc.

That looooong trend reversed in the 2000's, with the opposite taking place. There are certainly people who still move out to California, but it's certainly not the norm now. There are hundreds of thousands more people who leave the state than who move there from within the USA. It's still a good state and I love visiting, but you can see from all the stats that the only reason the state isn't shedding overall population is mainly because of Mexican immigration. Not that it's a bad thing, just a much different form of growth compared to the past.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:41 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
It's getting way too crowded.
It's getting somewhat overcrowded. I am more concerned about our infrastructure, especially in the Austin area. Not sure how long our traffic can manage with the roads we got.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:52 PM

105 posts, read 149,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not really. Overall, these are actually very good economic times for California. Jobs are being created at a healthy rate, the state govt has a budget surplus, the state's debt is in control and actually the healthiest among the world's 10 largest GDPs, crime is on the decline, school test scores are much improved, etc.

California adds 90,100 jobs in November - LA Times

Is there room for improvement? Of course, but name a perfect place?

Sure, but California's population has NEVER sustained a year-over-year decline in population-Ever.
Believe I just read somewhere that there were more movies filmed in Atlanta in 2014 than LA. That's a huge blow to California, especially LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City