Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 03:00 PM

16 posts, read 15,548 times

Advertisements

Help I've studied in the UK doing a medicine degree I've also started to work as a doctor I want to go Miami or LA to work but I'm confused about a medical License In both cities also I want to how americans think of brits , also I want to know about muslims and pakistani community in both however I want to know the cost of living in both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 03:41 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Americans tend to like Brits--or at least they don't mind them.

The Asian community overall in Miami isn't very big, so you won't find many Pakistanis. I don't think there's a big Muslim presence there at all. But I don't think you'll have big issues regarding being a minority in Miami.

LA is more expensive than Miami (but both are overpriced), however, it has a larger Asian and Muslim presence, so you might feel more at home there and it may be easier to make friends.

Both cities tend to draw in a lot of Brits and Europeans in general, but I think (not certain, though) that Miami does better in that department, since it's closer to Europe.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:19 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
Before deciding where you are going to practice for the long term, consider that you're going to have to pass the USMLE then do your residency. Honestly, you won't have all that much leeway what city you get to do your residency in because most hospitals have limited spots.

Come back when you pass the USMLE and have a few hospitals willing to accept you for residency, then we'll talk.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:58 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Americans tend to like Brits--or at least they don't mind them.

The Asian community overall in Miami isn't very big, so you won't find many Pakistanis. I don't think there's a big Muslim presence there at all. But I don't think you'll have big issues regarding being a minority in Miami.

LA is more expensive than Miami (but both are overpriced), however, it has a larger Asian and Muslim presence, so you might feel more at home there and it may be easier to make friends.

Both cities tend to draw in a lot of Brits and Europeans in general, but I think (not certain, though) that Miami does better in that department, since it's closer to Europe.
The largest British expat community in the US is in Santa Monica, CA.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:04 AM

136 posts, read 200,280 times
You may have to consider starting in a more rural area and move on from there.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Before deciding where you are going to practice for the long term, consider that you're going to have to pass the USMLE then do your residency. Honestly, you won't have all that much leeway what city you get to do your residency in because most hospitals have limited spots.

Come back when you pass the USMLE and have a few hospitals willing to accept you for residency, then we'll talk.
Let's not forget the Visa too.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 PM

401 posts, read 551,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZainChoudry21 View Post
Help I've studied in the UK doing a medicine degree I've also started to work as a doctor I want to go Miami or LA to work but I'm confused about a medical License In both cities also I want to how americans think of brits , also I want to know about muslims and pakistani community in both however I want to know the cost of living in both
If you are looking for a pakistani community best bet is SoCal. I'm not sure if Miami has a big community of them but I know for a fact LA has a huge Asian community.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:03 PM

137 posts, read 144,241 times
Miami. Not because LA is "more expensive" in the traditional sense; the difference in real estate, property taxes, little things, etc. are exaggerated based on COL perceptions circa 2004. The real estate price gap in particular is narrowing at a fast pace.

When you consider that the places in Miami most people find desirable carry with them unbelievably high wind/flood insurance rates, the gap gets even smaller.

For upper class people, it's about one thing and one thing only: income tax.

Say you make 550K.

You're now at the 3% "bonus" cap level for california.

Based on the above example that's $71,500 per year in income taxes you'd save from choosing Miami over LA.

I am in a similar income level in a similar situation (love LA and Miami, they were both on my short list), and that reality ended the dilemma rather quickly.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:01 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingforarip View Post
Miami. Not because LA is "more expensive" in the traditional sense; the difference in real estate, property taxes, little things, etc. are exaggerated based on COL perceptions circa 2004. The real estate price gap in particular is narrowing at a fast pace.

When you consider that the places in Miami most people find desirable carry with them unbelievably high wind/flood insurance rates, the gap gets even smaller.

For upper class people, it's about one thing and one thing only: income tax.

Say you make 550K.

You're now at the 3% "bonus" cap level for california.

Based on the above example that's $71,500 per year in income taxes you'd save from choosing Miami over LA.

I am in a similar income level in a similar situation (love LA and Miami, they were both on my short list), and that reality ended the dilemma rather quickly.
Yes, FL has no state income tax. However, Miami is, arguably, the worst city in which to live in the entire country in terms of QOL. While the OP wouldn't pay state income tax if he was to choose Miami over LA, he'd still have to deal with:

-Oppressive humidity that lasts from March to November
-Suicidal drivers accompanied by the highest pedestrian, cyclist, *AND* motorist fatality rates, not to mention the highest auto insurance rates in the nation
-Cranky, pushy, entitled snowbirds from the Tri-State area
-Extremely high violent and property crime rates
-Hordes of immigrants from Latin America who refuse to speak English, even if they're fluent
-Standstill traffic on I-95 and the Turnpike during hurricane evacuations with zero visibility due to whipping rain bands
-Scammers and con artists galore
-The constant threat of credit card and identity theft (South Florida has always been the #1 metro area in the US for both)
-Shady transients from the world over hiding out in residential apartment complexes and subdivisions
-The "tough" attitude/mindset of locals, which entails being rude, pushy, argumentative, combative, shrewd, ghetto, or having some other variant of a "get-out-of-my-way" mentality
-Wages and salaries that are incredibly disproportionate to the COL
-Employers who make it seem as though they're doing you a favor by hiring you
-Or the fact that a person with a master's degree who doesn't speak Spanish is less qualified to work a local fast-food restaurant than an immigrant from a third-world country with a sixth-grade education

Is all that really worth the lack of a state income tax? Not to mention the Pakistani community in Miami is virtually non-existent and it's home to a medical community that's world-renowned for it's deviance (think David Acer), especially compared to LA. Oh, yeah -- no hospitals like UCLA Medical Center, USC Keck, or Cedars-Sinai in Miami, either.

Please.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:53 PM

62 posts, read 83,582 times
^ About 5 of your complaints about Miami has to deal with immigrants and people from out of state. As if LA doesn't have these issues either? Also why should he care about Wages and salaries that are incredibly disproportionate to the COL in Miami since being a doctor his income will be vastly higher than most of the general population? Did you also forget that California has a state income tax too while Florida doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City