Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:31 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
BALTIMORE ⤴ GREYSTONES

When I saw this first 360° in Baltimore.... It was like CHICAGO'S greystones . Giving me a perfect opportunity to show difference in Rows vs. Singles... FOR THE SAME STYLE OF HOMES.

THESE GREYSTONES ARE NEAR WRIGLEY FIELD ...NOT CHEAP TODAY. BUT I USE IN COMPARING TO THE ABOVE BALTIMORE GREYSTONES....BUILT AS ROWS.

TO ME CHICAGO TO DO THEM AS SINGLES..BELOW WITH FRONT LAWNS ⤵ IS A BETTER CHOICE THEN IF THEY WERE ROWS TO THE SIDEWALKS ⤴ ON TOP THAT WAS POSTED.

CHICAGO ⤵ GREYSTONES
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9482...x5jeYPxTPQ!2e0

Some west of downtown ⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9016...2dHeZE0Ogw!2e0

Last edited by steeps; 01-06-2015 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I saved this 360° of what I thought were ALL 1900 Chicago Cottages? I found out some are from 1900 some are new. The new ones in this gentrified block go for $1 million I was floored ...the originals for $300,000+ Still not cheap . ⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9571...Zg1nWZ2-Yg!2e0

This is a more ordinary old brick 1900 Cottage home neighborhood not gentrified. Some empty lots might get filled in. BUT MY POINT IS THIS TO ME FOR THE MASSES IS SUPERIOR THEN WALLED BRICK ROWS TO THE SIDEWALK? THIS ORDINARY CHICAGO BLOCK ⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8975...kMVSYEt8EQ!2e0
^^^I understand what your saying, as a matter of fact this last link was a few blocks from where we
lived as kids (also lived in Ukrainian village). Another home was near where my grandmother lived
(a cottage home) which she paid $4000.00 for it in 1952. So yes, I love the bungalows from the 30's and would love to have one but you are correct - they are expensive.
I just wanted to give Philly some credit since I saw some great homes there as well.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:27 AM

I realize many Row homes have value and warrant in Big cities. Just when these cities built for the Masses, working class housing much was bland. walled rows on alley size streets. While a city as Chicago chose Mostly singles on a street grid that gave front Lawn space all tree-lined and alleys not for housing... but garbage pick-up, power lines and garages... once the car age came in. The managed to maintain very close density to predominately Row home cities

No one answered the question??? If to leave Rows was a better choice .... for big city neighborhoods?

Ironically now elaborate Townhouse areas are popping up in downtown Chicago.... This one looks like it should be in Boston⤵
Attached Thumbnails
Is a Rowhome best choice ALL American cities should have embraced,cities of Philly,Baltimore,Pittsburgh did. Not Chicago-new-chicago-row-homes.jpg  

Old 01-14-2015, 03:56 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,952 times
I come from Detroit, a city derided for being suburban in layout. I prefer the single family detached house:

1. Rowhouses are too narrow - 15 feet wide. Single family houses and 2-family flats in Chicago and Detroit are 20-25 feet wide.

2. Most rowhouses do not have front porches. In Detroit, I like being able to sit on my wide front porches and talk with our neighbors who are walking down the street. With those rowhouses, there is really no place to sit, except for the steps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=coyle...282.14,,0,1.31

3. Single family houses (in Detroit) offer natural (sun)light on 4 sides of the house, as opposed to just the front and back on the rowhouses. Also, for rowhouses, it is more common to hear your neighbors talking through the walls of the adjacent rowhouse.

Obviously, single family homes will result in less population density, so that's the trade-off.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Even a city like Philly would have similar options to the Detroit example - though this is what would be considered one of the least urban areas of the city.

Rowhouses can be functional and awful - I more like the environment and can live with the drawbacks to be so close to everything yet with a residential street just 2 minutes from everything yet some peace and quiet.

and a layout like this is not all that bad

Old 01-14-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I come from Detroit, a city derided for being suburban in layout. I prefer the single family detached house:

1. Rowhouses are too narrow - 15 feet wide. Single family houses and 2-family flats in Chicago and Detroit are 20-25 feet wide.

2. Most rowhouses do not have front porches. In Detroit, I like being able to sit on my wide front porches and talk with our neighbors who are walking down the street. With those rowhouses, there is really no place to sit, except for the steps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=coyle...282.14,,0,1.31

3. Single family houses (in Detroit) offer natural (sun)light on 4 sides of the house, as opposed to just the front and back on the rowhouses. Also, for rowhouses, it is more common to hear your neighbors talking through the walls of the adjacent rowhouse.

Obviously, single family homes will result in less population density, so that's the trade-off.
Yes I too love them Tudor(gingerbread) homes. Chicago has some nice Tudor neighborhoods I always liked... always will be classic

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9393...PJaKjn7jnQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9390...RTt2S35dWA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9398...uUifnzS5qA!2e0

I still love these 50s 60s bungalow-ranches

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9714...415qsfZ4kQ!2e0

Old 01-16-2015, 10:31 AM

404 posts, read 585,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Man, this is beautiful. So gritty. So far removed from nature. Makes you feel like you're in an ocean of row homes. I live in Chicago but I would love to live in a neighborhood that looked like this.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:22 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Rowhomes are period-specific. They have nothing to do with "housing choice".

Chicago is a newer city, built after the rowhome era, so obviously won't be characterized by rowhomes. The Midwest cities that are characterized by rowhomes are Cincy and St. Louis, and they were the biggest and most important Midwest cities during the rowhome era.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Rowhomes are period-specific. They have nothing to do with "housing choice".

Chicago is a newer city, built after the rowhome era, so obviously won't be characterized by rowhomes. The Midwest cities that are characterized by rowhomes are Cincy and St. Louis, and they were the biggest and most important Midwest cities during the rowhome era.
OMG NOLA .... Do you realize cities like Philly and Baltimore.. even Pittsburgh. Didn't just build Row homes before the 20th century??? THEY CONTINUED BUILDING ROW HOMES ALL THROUGH THE 20th CENTURY. Chicago merely after some Victorian and Greystone/Brownstone examples pre-1800s for the most part.... chose the Cottage home....... and then bungalow era by 1920 kicked in.. for the working man.WHILE THE EASTERN CITIES CONTINUED BUILDING ROWS ... then later some HALF-DOUBLES, 2 homes attached then detached... the 2 attached .....FROM....FOR THE WORKING MANS PLAIN ROWS TO SIDEWALKS LIKE A SOLID WALL ...WHOLE BLOCKS....TO UPPER CLASSES MORE DECORATIVE ROWS WITH SOME SETBACKS.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:51 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner15 View Post
Man, this is beautiful. So gritty. So far removed from nature. Makes you feel like you're in an ocean of row homes. I live in Chicago but I would love to live in a neighborhood that looked like this.
It's gritty because it's the ghetto. If this was a fully gentrified area, it would look a lot nicer and less gritty. Regardless, I have no desire to live in a neighborhood like that though it looks better than the typical standard rowhouse neighborhood in Philly or Baltimore.

The Wire shown me how ugly Baltimore can be....rowhouse hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City