Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:31 AM

545 posts, read 1,099,993 times

Advertisements

If Northern NJ were compared to other US cities and their metro areas, where would NNJ rank? In terms of population size, economy, jobs, skyscrapers, etc. Would it stack up against cities like Philadelphia and Atlanta? I'm talking about Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Passiac, Union and Middlesex Counties...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 06:40 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
If we're talking about metro areas. Northern NJ vs. Northern VA would be really good. Bergen county vs. Fairfax county and many more.

As for cities, Northern NJ could go toe to toe with many sunbelt cities.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 AM

545 posts, read 1,099,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
If we're talking about metro areas. Northern NJ vs. Northern VA would be really good. Bergen county vs. Fairfax county and many more.

I don't think that is a good comparison. northern VA has 2.8 million residents. northern NJ has over 5 million. plus the economy is much bigger in northern NJ.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:26 PM

260 posts, read 299,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
I don't think that is a good comparison. northern VA has 2.8 million residents. northern NJ has over 5 million. plus the economy is much bigger in northern NJ.

People from NYC rarely go to places in N. Jersey whereas DC people go to Old town Alexandria and Arlington all the time.

N. Jersey is the red headed step child of NYC but N. Virginia is an integral part of DC. The Pentagon is in Arlington

Old 01-08-2015, 04:12 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post

No way. Northern Jersey is almost larger than the entire DC area, plus significantly more urban than Fairfax County; Hudson county is nearly as urban as Manhattan! It has 4 cities more dense than NYC, and Guttenburg is the densest city in the country (slightly less than Manhattan though).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_County,_New_Jersey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Jersey

The best comparison I can think of would be North Jersey vs Philadelphia.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:45 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
I created an account on C-D because this person kept insisting Jersey City was a lot better than Philly and that JC would have multiple supertalls by 2020. In terms of the OPs original question about population and economy, I still think the Philly Metro is bigger but Fat Chris Christie would love nothing more than to watch south jersey decline further and north jersey rise farther ahead. In terms of skyscrapers, I think Philly is a pretty clear winner in my book, but what do I know.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:53 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
People from NYC rarely go to places in N. Jersey whereas DC people go to Old town Alexandria and Arlington all the time.

N. Jersey is the red headed step child of NYC but N. Virginia is an integral part of DC. The Pentagon is in Arlington
LOL @ suggesting NNJ is not an integral part of the Metro. The sheer size of it alone suggests otherwise. What a foolish, self aggrandizing statement.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:56 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:

N Jersey is nearly the size of the whole DC metro - dont see them all that different really both very affluent with and abundance of large high paying job centers. Big difference is one is burb of NYC and the other DC

yes people dont leave NYC that live there often because all is there - no need to to go to crystal city or King street - I like Alexandria actually - interesting area that would be more charleston had DC not been accross the river

Old 01-09-2015, 10:00 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:

Tell that to the northern shore towns in the summer

Old 01-09-2015, 11:11 AM

260 posts, read 299,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Tell that to the northern shore towns in the summer
Okay
"Northern shore towns you're the red headed children of NYC, you are not like upper Virginian suburbs because New Yorkers avoid you like the plague".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City