Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban/vibrant?
Pittsburgh 50 56.18%
Minneapolis 39 43.82%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:28 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,904,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
No, not really. When was the last time you were there, 1999?
2014. Up until a month ago my brother lived in Bloomfield. He's one of those hipster types and he never went there. Neither did his friends. A lot of them are similar types. None of my friends who still live in the city ever go there. Nor did I. None of the people I worked with went there and they ranged in age from newly graduated to middle aged. The Southside frat types I sometimes went to the bar with on E. Carson never went there.

Obviously somebody goes to Lawrenceville though. Just saying it isn't likely to be your typical Pittsburgh type. Most likely it's the type of people who didn't want to live in Cranberry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 10:41 AM

4,176 posts, read 2,938,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
2014. Up until a month ago my brother lived in Bloomfield. He's one of those hipster types and he never went there. Neither did his friends. A lot of them are similar types. None of my friends who still live in the city ever go there. Nor did I. None of the people I worked with went there and they ranged in age from newly graduated to middle aged. The Southside frat types I sometimes went to the bar with on E. Carson never went there.

Obviously somebody goes to Lawrenceville though. Just saying it isn't likely to be your typical Pittsburgh type. Most likely it's the type of people who didn't want to live in Cranberry.
Wrong again. Lawrencville is a Pittsburgh type of hood. Lawrenceville is the ultimate hipster neighborhood. Bloomfield has not changed that much over the last 30 or so years. There are hotels and apartments under construction on Bloomfields border with Shadyside. The new developments in Bloomfield pale in comparison to Lawrencville and the Strip District for that matter. Are your associates true hipsters?

Old 01-20-2015, 11:02 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,903,085 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Wrong again. Lawrencville is a Pittsburgh type of hood. Lawrenceville is the ultimate hipster neighborhood. Bloomfield has not changed that much over the last 30 or so years. There are hotels and apartments under construction on Bloomfields border with Shadyside. The new developments in Bloomfield pale in comparison to Lawrencville and the Strip District for that matter. Are your associates true hipsters?
Hate to keep bashing here but pips is right. Lawrenceville is Pittsburgh's hipster center.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:29 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,108,973 times
Pittsburgh is more urban, but Minneapolis is more vibrant. One is booming and one is stagnant.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:51 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,127,557 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh falls short as it's stagnan
Not anymore.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:02 PM

14,176 posts, read 22,673,045 times
Pittsburgh's younger population is increasing as its older population is decreasing. As a result, population growth is flat, but the city is becoming more vibrant.

I've been to Minneapolis before, but it was in December, and I only got to see the Mall of America and a football game when I was there, so I didn't really get to explore the city. It wouldn't surprise me if Minneapolis has a lot going on, given that it's larger than Pittsburgh at both the city and metropolitan levels, and never had its economy destroyed like Pittsburgh did in the 1970s and 1980s.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Pittsburgh is more urban, but Minneapolis is more vibrant. One is booming and one is stagnant.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Everyone is stuck in Pittsburgh 1984 time warp. Pittsburgh has more jobs than at anytime in its history. The jobs within the city are highly concentrated and high paying. The city and county is gaining population in recent years. Pittsburgh as a whole is very vibrant. Our vibrancy is not limited to Downtown and adjacent areas. We have Downtown, Southside, Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, East Liberty, Strip District and Lawrencville, and the North Shore. Pittsburgh is a lively active city outside of downtown. Its a compact city and packs a punch in its 55 sq miles.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:57 PM

14,176 posts, read 22,673,045 times
Quote:
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Everyone is stuck in Pittsburgh 1984 time warp. Pittsburgh has more jobs than at anytime in its history. The jobs within the city are highly concentrated and high paying. The city and county is gaining population in recent years. Pittsburgh as a whole is very vibrant. Our vibrancy is not limited to Downtown and adjacent areas. We have Downtown, Southside, Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, East Liberty, Strip District and Lawrencville, and the North Shore. Pittsburgh is a lively active city outside of downtown. Its a compact city and packs a punch in its 55 sq miles.
Part of the problem is that a lot of the good things that are happening in the city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County are getting washed out in the metropolitan numbers.

The city and Allegheny County have been doing all the heavy lifting in the last 10 years, aside from a couple pockets of growth on I-79 just outside the county line. It's the outlying metropolitan counties that are stagnant. Growth in Butler County has slowed down dramatically, and Armstrong, Beaver, Fayette and Westmoreland Counties continue to lose population. Growth in Washington County is flat.

Allegheny County contains 52% of the total metropolitan population, but 60% of the college-educated population, and 79% of the non-white population. Its population is increasingly young, educated and diverse, while the outlying counties are aging rapidly with negligible growth in college-educated and non-white residents.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:00 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,904,917 times
Quote:
Wrong again. Lawrencville is a Pittsburgh type of hood. Lawrenceville is the ultimate hipster neighborhood. Bloomfield has not changed that much over the last 30 or so years.
Yeah, it didn't look like it had changed much. Pittsburgh's known for being that way though. No matter how much things chance it still retains that certain Pittsburgh quality. Probably the only reason hipsters haven't overrun the city as much as some other places.

Quote:
Are your associates true hipsters?
Nah. Those are mainly my brother's friends. I hang around all sorts, but if I had to pick one main group that accounts for the biggest number of my friends it would be artists.

@speagles84 "Lawrenceville is Pittsburgh's hipster center."

So they say. Pip says it's a Pgh type of hood so it's got to be filled with some interesting types since "local Pittsburgh hipster" strikes me as a bit of a misnomer or at the very least conflicting.

One thing Pittsburgh could be is more bike friendly. It's coming along, but it's not on par with Minneapolis.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it didn't look like it had changed much. Pittsburgh's known for being that way though. No matter how much things chance it still retains that certain Pittsburgh quality. Probably the only reason hipsters haven't overrun the city as much as some other places.

Nah. Those are mainly my brother's friends. I hang around all sorts, but if I had to pick one main group that accounts for the biggest number of my friends it would be artists.

@speagles84 "Lawrenceville is Pittsburgh's hipster center."

So they say. Pip says it's a Pgh type of hood so it's got to be filled with some interesting types since "local Pittsburgh hipster" strikes me as a bit of a misnomer or at the very least conflicting.

One thing Pittsburgh could be is more bike friendly. It's coming along, but it's not on par with Minneapolis.
Pittsburgh is bike friendly now a days. Bike lanes added throughout downtown and the strip plus Pittsburgh's bike sharing program kicks off this spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City