Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite SE U.S. Coastal City
Savannah 13 37.14%
Charleston 10 28.57%
Myrtle Beach 1 2.86%
VA Beach 6 17.14%
Wilmington 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:42 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite Southeast U.S. Coastal City between VA Beach, Wilmington, Charleston, Savannah, Myrtle Beach? For character, climate, overall livability, beauty. And regardless of factors, which one do you just like the best and would choose to live given the choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:25 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
In order

Savannah-love the city and Tybee Island
Wilmington-seems like a nice city and Wrightsville Beach is beautiful
Charleston-city is beautiful but seems very touristy and "high-falutin'. Folly Beach is great
VA Beach-nice beach and tons to do-good location but maybe not as warm year long as the rest.
Myrtle Beach-beach is nice but I could tire of the city-it's like Wildwood, NJ in the South

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-24-2015 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 12:57 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
I've been to Charleston, driven past Myrtle Beach, and my mother lives in Wilmington so I've been there a few times to visit. Charleston is pretty, I like how colorful it is, and its loaded with historic charm. It has a bit of a stuffy old money vibe to it and though I appreciated its unique character, I kind of felt out of my element there as I did in most of South Carolina.

Wilmington has small but cute downtown on the river and a small neighborhood of historic homes next it. Its a nice little coastal city but its doesn't really compare well to either Charleston or Savannah. The best thing about Wilmington is there are many attractive beaches nearby like Wrightsville, Carolina Beach, and Fort Fisher.

VA Beach didn't impress me at all, too much concrete and not very much character. Myrtle Beach would likely have more to do though it doesn't really interest me a whole lot either. If I was to go back again to this coastal region, I'd definitely pick Savannah and I do look forward to visiting there one day.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:30 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
St. Augustine maybe should have been an option as well.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:10 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
In order

Savannah-love the city and Tybee Island
Wilmington-seems like a nice city and Wrightsville Beach is beautiful
Charleston-city is beautiful but seems very touristy and "high-falutin'. Folly Beach is great
VA Beach-nice beach and tons to do-good location but maybe not as warm year long as the rest.
Myrtle Beach-beach is nice but I could tire of the city-it's like Wildwood, NJ in the South
I generally agree with this. I might put Charleston ahead of Wilmington despite the falutin' and I'd request Norfolk in lieu of Va Beach.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:56 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times
Wow I'm surprised Savannah is trouncing all the others so far. I have been to many states and regions around the U.S. extensively, but the Southeast U.S. is one of the areas that I have not explored. I have not been to any of the cities on this list. I would not have guessed it would outrank Charleston and Wilmington, but again I have not been to any so that was just speculation.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Wow I'm surprised Savannah is trouncing all the others so far. I have been to many states and regions around the U.S. extensively, but the Southeast U.S. is one of the areas that I have not explored. I have not been to any of the cities on this list. I would not have guessed it would outrank Charleston and Wilmington, but again I have not been to any so that was just speculation.
VA Beach and Charleston are more livable from an economic and day-to-day perspective, but I'm presuming that Savannah's more mysterious aura, nightlife, and the squares (which are all wonderful) are putting it ahead here.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:40 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
I know I'm from NC, but I might have to go with Wilmington. It's kind of a secret compared to Charleston and Savannah, with a very nice downtown and waterfront along the Cape Fear River. Lots of history in the area, and Wrightsville isn't far at all if you want the beach.

Charleston and Savannah are always nice, same with St. Augustine which definitely should have been an option. Actually, I still haven't visited Virginia Beach because I usually go for Carolina beaches. I've been to North Myrtle a thousand times and don't really mind it, actually. It's super nice at the end of the island heading towards the NC line past Cherry Grove, and Calabash isn't too far away which you can't beat. I've been to Myrtle a few times, Broadway at the Beach and a few other sites but I usually stick with North Myrtle.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:07 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
VA Beach and Charleston are more livable from an economic and day-to-day perspective, but I'm presuming that Savannah's more mysterious aura, nightlife, and the squares (which are all wonderful) are putting it ahead here.
As a Charleston boy, you tend to toot C-town's horn a bit, but you are quite right here on the basics: Charleston's and VB's economies are larger than Savannah's, and there are more amenities there, as both metro Charleston and Virginia Beach are twice as large or larger than metro Savannah. But Savannah has come into its own in the last 10 years, and it does often trounce Charleston in perceptions of southern mystique and overall aura (and occasionally prestige). Old Charleston is a stuffier place -- thanks in no small part to the kind of insufferably elitist Northerners and Westerners who have recently settled there. NPR once interviewed several of these transplants who've settled on the peninsula, and Lawdy!! they are hard to take). Savannah's new residents are more laid back, like the city itself.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
As a Charleston boy, you tend to toot C-town's horn a bit, but you are quite right here on the basics: Charleston's and VB's economies are larger than Savannah's, and there are more amenities there, as both metro Charleston and Virginia Beach are twice as large or larger than metro Savannah. But Savannah has come into its own in the last 10 years, and it does often trounce Charleston in perceptions of southern mystique and overall aura (and occasionally prestige). Old Charleston is a stuffier place -- thanks in no small part to the kind of insufferably elitist Northerners and Westerners who have recently settled there. NPR once interviewed several of these transplants who've settled on the peninsula, and Lawdy!! they are hard to take). Savannah's new residents are more laid back, like the city itself.
I'm glad you recognize that it's the wealthy transplants largely responsible for the peninsula's vibe, although I don't think it's nearly as "stuffy" as people say. However, they have also contributed to a more liberal Charleston. The good thing about Savannah is that I think it's on its way to being more economically well-rounded like VA Beach and Charleston because unlike some other touristy "boutique" cities, regional leaders actually desire more industry and are striving to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City