Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Texas metro
Dallas 31 21.99%
Houston 33 23.40%
Austin 43 30.50%
San Antonio 22 15.60%
El Paso 3 2.13%
Lubbock 3 2.13%
Fort Worth 2 1.42%
Other 4 2.84%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:46 PM

207 posts, read 345,392 times

Advertisements

What's the best Texas metro is best to live?

Along to whatever you deem important in a metro please consider..

Suburbs.. Which city has the best and most livable suburbs.

City.. Which city proper is best to you?

Best metro for..

Entertainment
Crime
Growth
Beauty
Historic beauty
Weather
People
Public transportation
Roads
Jobs

Now those are just additional things to consider.. The bottom line however isn't who wins the most of those topics but which metro you feel is the best and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 03:48 PM

Poll is up!

Old 01-12-2015, 03:50 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Entertainment: Austin
Crime: Austin
Growth: Houston
Beauty: Austin...I think the river does a lot for the city, otherwise, it would be very boring, scenic wise
Historic Beauty: San Antonio, though some of the historic buildings in downtown Dallas, I like.
Weather: Dallas
People: Austin
Public Transportation: Dallas
Roads: Dallas
Jobs: Houston, though with low gas prices, Dallas will likely begin doing better.
Urban Cores: Dallas

If I had to live in Texas, I would choose Dallas or Austin....Austin is overrated at this moment however.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:07 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
San Antonio for me. The city is often overshadowed by Austin in which I like, but SA has everything Austin has and more.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:15 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,679 times
Austin for me. I couldn't see myself living in another Texas city.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:20 PM

I moved to austin from Chicago and even bought a home here. We are really liking it.. However I agree it's overrated in a bunch of areas..

Poor public transportation (Texas thing)
Poor architecture (see above)
Food could be better in a lot of areas (Italian, Polish, Chinese, etc)
No pro sports
Few cultural neighborhoods
Houses very close together-cookie cutter
In need of a good Zoo-aquarium-museum

Now I'm just being a realist here. I've heard Dallas get bashed a lot but from my few times driving through the city and the surrounding suburbs look really nice. And it seems like it offers it's residents quite a bit.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:21 PM

Joinatx-

What do you like about San antono in particular?

We went to see the alamo and river walk and honestly were so unimpressed by the area we had no plans at ever going back. Downtown was dead at 5pm, followed by panhandlers, seemed dirty and run down, and just was no impressed personally. Maybe we missed something.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:32 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north2south. View Post
I moved to austin from Chicago and even bought a home here. We are really liking it.. However I agree it's overrated in a bunch of areas..

Poor public transportation (Texas thing)
Poor architecture (see above)
Food could be better in a lot of areas (Italian, Polish, Chinese, etc)
No pro sports
Few cultural neighborhoods
Houses very close together-cookie cutter
In need of a good Zoo-aquarium-museum

Now I'm just being a realist here. I've heard Dallas get bashed a lot but from my few times driving through the city and the surrounding suburbs look really nice. And it seems like it offers it's residents quite a bit.
Dallas is underrated, at least the central city itself. I don't see how Austin is more walkable than Dallas is, yet on this forum you'd think Austin had the walkability of Seattle.

Even walkscore has Austin at a 35 walkscore. The same people on here who bash Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston for being sprawly are the same ones who praise Austin. I don't get it. I find Atlanta to be a more walkable, historic, and cultural city.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:52 PM

Yeah always wondered why Dallas gets hated on so much. It seems like a great place.. Similar to Atlanta. Although even Atlanta gets much more love than Dallas.

Like i said.. Austin's a great place to live.. But it's also a brand new city that hasn't been around long enough to have all the amenities, entertainment options, and infrastructure that other cities have. Austin is really not walkable.. And neither is really any other Texas city- Dallas is I'm sure more walkable than austin but I'm not quite sure that means much.

Houston.. For being the 4th largest city is also bashed and left out of most of the important discussions regarding cities.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:15 PM

448 posts, read 812,708 times
Quote:
If I had to live in Texas, I would choose Dallas or Austin....Austin is overrated at this moment however.
Quote:
Dallas is underrated, at least the central city itself.
Completely agree. Of the Texas metros, Dallas is my favorite. And considering how trendy Austin is... I like to visit but I don't think I could live there. Way too much traffic.

Quote:
We went to see the alamo and river walk and honestly were so unimpressed by the area we had no plans at ever going back. Downtown was dead at 5pm, followed by panhandlers, seemed dirty and run down, and just was no impressed personally. Maybe we missed something.
When did you go? What time of year/which year? IMO, the Riverwalk is kind of seasonal. I don't know if that's true or not from a tourism/data point of view, but I know there are certain times of the year I don't want to go downtown. I much prefer the museums and missions and the areas north and south of downtown, to downtown itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City