Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are the most powerful people?
In NYC 62 68.13%
In DC 29 31.87%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James XV View Post
LOL, I've never seen any sort of poll of study that puts D.C. ahead of NYC when it comes to power or political influence.

It's the world against your city boosters . Must feel lonely having that opinion, huh?
Right... 8+ million people in NYC, 650,000 in Washington and your surprised that they have twice the lead in the poll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 09:38 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That's not why DC became the capital. Actually, Washington wanted Alexandria VA to be included in the capital boundaries but when Congress found out he had a home and family in the area, they created a provision that said no part of the capital could be located on the other side of the river, it had to all be on the Maryland side... so quite the opposite of "it's in his region."
Md, Va, VA, MD. They both share the Chesapeake bay and the Potomac river, plus Alexandria and Arlington used to be part of DC but Virginia decided to take the two areas back in the 1840s.

Many people are saying that NYC has all the power and influence, yes on the surface, but not even NYC is above the law so don't forget. Every so often, the feds in DC have to bring one or two big whigs in NYC back down to earth, when they break the law, to keep things in perspective.

Sorry for being semantic, but NYC does not run this country; Washington does. I doubt if NYC is involved with every single bureaucracy within the federal government.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:29 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Lol pardon me I was just watching the State of the Union last night noticing how 100 billionaires in NY couldn't dream of coming close to the power that was in the Capitol building during that speech. They were probably listening to the speech hoping and praying to hear the government will consider more tax breaks for them etc.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:54 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
I am going to change my original answer on this. The business class is too decentralized to be considered NYC centric. The Koch brothers are based down south as one example, Hollywood, Silicon Valley, Houston's oil etc are all regional business powerhouses. For pure power, DC is number one as it's the HQ of representational politics in this country. Big business as a whole is more powerful than DC (because DC is currently in its pocket), but it's wrong to think of Wall Street as the de facto representative of Big Business.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:20 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
The business class is too decentralized to be considered NYC centric. The Koch brothers are based down south as one example.
Actually, Koch Industries is headquartered in Wichita - not the South. The brothers live in Manhattan, though.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:45 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Actually, Koch Industries is headquartered in Wichita - not the South. The brothers live in Manhattan, though.
Really...learn something new everyday...thought they were in the south because of Georgia Pacific...and I see they live in Manhattan...NYC comes close, really close...but DC's power advantage is built in...if NYC were the HQ of Big Business in the same way DC is the HQ of politics I would actually give NYC the edge but I don't think you can really make that claim for NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City