Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are the most powerful people?
In NYC 62 68.13%
In DC 29 31.87%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:22 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The Federal Reserve Bank is owned by a group of European and American banks. The politicians in DC are bought and paid for by bankers and corporations. Some of you are so naive.
I hear what you're saying and it seems like it is that way under the surface, but over the surface, clearly, The federal government in Washington DC rules this land, not NYC. NY and all the 49 other states have to answer to Washington when they are called upon, not the other way around. Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand are basically the bosses of NY state and they are the senators of NEW YORK but work for the Senate at the Capitol in DC, the nation's capital where all the major national decisions are made. I should know this being that I am from NYC, but I don't give the city more power or influence than it really has over this nation. There are senators from the other states who have equal power. NY is NY but the rest of the country dances to its own tune. NYC has no command over the other states like Washington DC does.

This answer to this question is easy. The only other explanation would be that the secret hand and/or the puppet master would most likely reside somewhere in NYC or Tel Aviv or Geneva for that matter, but we're not talking about "the man behind the scenes" that we never see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 10:28 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiUAE View Post
The fact that you called Dubai a third World country just shows me how domestically-ignorant you are.
Correction, it's a Third World hellhole.

Get back to us when they treat women, gays and their 'guest workers' like human beings.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:56 AM

83 posts, read 99,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Correction, it's a Third World hellhole.

Get back to us when they treat women, gays and their 'guest workers' like human beings.
LOL you realize Dubai is a tourist destination right. Haha "stupid is as stupid does" I guess. Get back to me when you leave your sheltered life.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:01 AM

83 posts, read 99,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
The only other explanation would be that the secret hand and/or the puppet master would most likely reside somewhere in NYC or Tel Aviv or Geneva for that matter, but we're not talking about "the man behind the scenes" that we never see.
Chicago South Sider just clearly told you who controls the government. There's not a single puppet master. It's more of a banking/industry conglemorate.

As for the question asked by the original poster, the more influential people that effect this government in a meaningful way are in DC and mainly have ties in DC.

Last edited by DubaiUAE; 01-16-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 11:16 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
LOL you realize Dubai is a tourist destination right. Haha "stupid is as stupid does" I guess. Get back to me when you leave your sheltered life.
Duh, for people with more money than sense I suppose it is.

Get back to me when you understand the concept of Human Rights. In the meantime, enjoy your fake house of cards.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:08 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Neither -- LA :-)

Just kidding, it's NYC.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:08 PM

251 posts, read 307,704 times
Quote:
DC may be in the hands of big corporations and banks, but major corporations are headquarted and scattered all across the US/World, and have physically little to do with NY. Decisions don't come from NY, they happen there. DC has more movers and shakers by default. NY has more icons pertaining to pop-culture and fashion. They definitely influence others, but don't effect the outcome of people's lives on a scale compared to DC.

NY still has the influence by the balls in terms of culture, entertainment, etc.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:15 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
DC's power is strictly due to the nation's power. If you moved the capital to Casper, Wyoming, then Casper would have the same degree of power, because it would still reflect the nation's power.

So I would definitely vote NYC, which is more like a city-state of tremendous power, perhaps unmatched, and not strictly connected to national power. I would also rank LA well ahead of DC in terms of power. DC would be more on the level of SF and Chicago.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:15 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Quote:
Chicago South Sider just clearly told you who controls the government. There's not a single puppet master. It's more of a banking/industry conglemorate.

As for the question asked by the original poster, the more influential people that effect this government in a meaningful way are in DC and mainly have ties in DC.

Nobody runs to nyc to address injustices. They march to Washington DC, so I don't understand how what you are saying is true. Remember occupy wall street? No laws were changed.
I think some of you have no faith in the republic, the constitution, the bill of rights or the flag of the united states and give all your allegiance to the tyranny of the banking elite, and that does not make sense to me.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:21 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Nobody runs to nyc to address injustices.
They do all the time. Protests are more common in NYC than in DC. United Nations, world media capital, seat of global economic and financial power, etc.

You probably mean to say that "nobody runs to NYC to address federal government-specific injustices", which is obviously true. You go to DC when dealing with something of federal concern, just like you go to Albany, Sacramento or Tallahassee when dealing with something of state concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City