Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:45 AM

83 posts, read 99,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I'm surprised you're a "buyer", when you clearly don't have a good command of English. The correct spelling is They're. Call me doubtful.
Hopefully you can understand that English is not everyone's first language, and that not everyone from NY was born in an English-speaking country you xenophobic tool. It doesn't lessen their ability to do their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:48 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiUAE View Post
Hopefully you can understand that English is not everyone's first language, and that not everyone from NY was born in an English-speaking country you xenophobic tool. It doesn't lessen their ability to do their job.
I am terrible with grammar man and English is my first language and I still get high paying jobs. I agree with you man, some people just hate their lives and have to take it out on other people. I feel sorry for them.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:11 PM

83 posts, read 99,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Virgin is opening a hotel chain, you fabricated the "luxury boutique" part to try and confuse people that a hotel opening is somehow related to the thread topic, which is luxury retailers. The hotels will not be luxury and they will not be boutique. They will be big-time hotels, with big-time meeting space, no different from a Hilton or wherever.

And you still haven't explained why a hotel opening "proves" that one city has better luxury shopping than the other. The first Sofitel in the U.S. was in Toledo, long before NYC, LA, Miami, Chicago and other cities, so using your ridiculous logic, Toledo, Ohio has the best luxury retail in the U.S., because it was the first U.S. city to have a luxury hotel brand from another country. Sofitel is more upscale than Virgin.

Virgin Hotels, BTW, is just opening a hotel in an existing building in Chicago. It's building new hotels from scratch in other cities. So that's probably why the first one is opening in Chicago; it literally just assumes the lease for an existing hotel. In New York it had to assemble an entire block over a number of years, and is building a new construction tower with a giant retail base.

And Virgin is not even a luxury hotel brand, it's trying to be a hipster type hotel, not that it matters. It could be the fanciest hotel on earth, and you would still be wrong, because a hotel has nothing to do with luxury shopping. Hotels are completely irrelevant to the thread topic.

NOLA, are you saying that luxury hotels don't typically include fine-dining? With famous chefs and some sort of award-winning stature. Luxury retailers also look at tourism. Why do you think New York has the most!? Do you think people in Chicago (not just talking about downtown) who actually live there would go downtown or to a place like Northbrook or Oakbrook for their shopping needs? Luxury hotels, restaurants, shopping go hand-in-hand.

As far as Virgin Hotel goes:

"Sir Richard Branson's new hotel is being built out in the former Dearborn Bank Building, built in 1928. We're told that they will restore and recreate significant historic and architectural elements of the 27-story building."

Not sure how you're getting "hipster" out of that...

Old 01-18-2015, 12:16 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Assuming you're referring to Orange County, is that not already incorporated into the LA area?

Also, Philadelphia and Detroit have metro populations of 6 million and 3.7 million, respectively, and both have among the highest concentrations of millionaires in the country (Philadelphia #7 and Detroit #12): https://www.worldwealthreport.com/uswr

That inherently makes these regions far more lucrative for luxury retail than cities like Austin, Portland or San Antonio.
3.7 million is actually only the urban area population for Detroit. But other than that I agree. Detroit has plenty of high end stores to shop at and on top of that the beautiful Somerset Collection mall. Now they are building another premium outlet mall by the airport. And doesn't Philly have the second largest mall in the US? I can't see why Philly wouldn't make that list.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:52 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Virgin is opening a hotel chain, you fabricated the "luxury boutique" part to try and confuse people that a hotel opening is somehow related to the thread topic, which is luxury retailers.
You are beyond believable, Crawford.

Let me repeat this, since you continue to gloss over and ignore it.

The OP provided a list of luxury BRANDS in certain cities that went beyond the scope of pure retail, to include other luxury BRANDS.

Not only do you ignore it, you go on to say there is no such thing as Virgin Hotels. You claimed I totally fabricated the whole thing.

When proven wrong, you resort to the pathetic back-tracking shown above.

You can admit to being wrong from time to time. It won't kill you, and it just may restore any shred of credibility you may have once had.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:41 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
From the article:

Quote:
The report indicates that while core metro areas ranked at the top of the list of preferred locations, they exhibit slower growth momentum compared to secondary cities. Several emerging retail markets like Dallas, Houston and Orlando possess the attributes for longer term success driven by ongoing population and income growth.
Unless I am misunderstanding the usage of "secondary cities", it tends to indicate that they looked only at the primary city and not the entire metro. This would explain LA's absence from the list - Rodeo Drive and other locations outside the city, in theory, wouldn't have even been considered.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:23 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiUAE View Post
934 ft up to the roof.

The $900 million is just the starting point that was already provided by the primary investor, The Wanda Group without any other sources. Pretty sure it'll go up from there. If you read the article you'd see that.
And $1 Billion is just the primary investors cash influx into the building, not taking into account what other companies involved in the project have and will invest.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:05 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
That's an interesting observation. Though we need more info from the report to say it was the case, I do agree with your assessment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
From the article:

Unless I am misunderstanding the usage of "secondary cities", it tends to indicate that they looked only at the primary city and not the entire metro. This would explain LA's absence from the list - Rodeo Drive and other locations outside the city, in theory, wouldn't have even been considered.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
From the article:

Intersting that would impact LA - or even my hometown with mot luxury retailer in KOP or Cherry Hill - not that with thee Philly would eba top 5 - maybe top ten but would explain aspects here

Old 01-19-2015, 10:02 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
That's an interesting observation. Though we need more info from the report to say it was the case, I do agree with your assessment.
Yeah, I browsed the report's methodology but couldn't glean anything conclusive. But while they frequently use the term "cities" I didn't see any usage of the term "metropolitan area". That being said, a lot of reports will use the term city when they're actually referring to the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City