Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Saint Louis vs Providence, RI
Saint Louis 31 46.97%
Providence, RI 37 56.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,806 times

Advertisements

Both of these cities seem affordable, dense, and filled with interesting things to do.

I've notice Saint Louis people/the city is similar to Pittsburgh, which I feel is also a good match up to Providence.

So when it comes to Saint Louis, MO vs Providence, RI which city is better for urban living, with walkable neighborhoods, good density, architecture, and amenities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:19 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,657,632 times
St. Louis is much bigger and more prominent than Providence.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 PM

676 posts, read 961,294 times
Saint Louis is a much bigger metro area (although, Providence is a part of the Boston CSA, and is on Boston's commuter rail line) and thus has more "big city" amenities, but in terms of dense urban living, walkable areas, and architecture, I'd say Providence wins in a landslide. Not sure about affordability though.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
St. Louis is much bigger and more prominent than Providence.
In what ways?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
In what ways?
St. Louis metro pop. 2.8 million
Providence metro pop. 1.6 million

St. Louis GDP: 145.9 billion
Providence GDP: 61.8 billion

St. Louis annual visitors (TripAdvisor 2014): 23rd most-visited city in the US
Providence annual visitors (Trip Advisor 2014): ??? Not even on the list

St. Louis media market size: 21
Providence media market size: 52

St. Louis Fortune 500 HQ: 9
Providence Fortune 500 HQ: 3

Non-stop destinations from STL airport: 59
Non-stop destinations from PVD airport: 19

St. Louis miles of local rail transit: 48
Providence miles of local rail transit: 0

St. Louis major league sports: 3
Providence major league sports: 0 (or 1 if you count New England Patriots, which it shares with Boston, a much larger metro)

And for those who question St. Louis' strength in terms of urban neighborhoods, have you ever even visited? By 1900, St. Louis was the 4th biggest city in America. Providence was 20th. The urban core of St. Louis is a lot bigger and denser than you care to admit.

Last edited by STLgasm; 01-23-2015 at 07:17 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
StL is definitely a bigger and more prominent metro. In my experience, Providence has just about every big city amenity you could want, as does StL. Both have dense and urban areas, but I actually think StL has more urban neighborhoods overall (it was a much bigger city at one point than Providence). Providence is better located, in my opinion, but I could live in either. All in all, I think a better sized match up might be Indianapolis v. Providence.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 01-23-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
StL is definitely a bigger and more prominent metro. In my experience, Providence has just about every big city amenity you could want, as does StL. Both have dense and urban areas, but I actually think StL has more urban neighborhoods overall (it was a much bigger city at one point than Providence). Providence is better located, in my opinion, but I could live in either. All in all, I think a better sized match up might be Indianapolis v. Providence.
Well, raw numbers are one thing. Doesn't really tell you much about the feel, day to day use, fun, and so forth of an area.

Sort of just leapfrogged places like Indianapolis since it's similar in metro size, but (at least to my knowledge) isn't known as a vibrant place to live with a good quality of life.

I still remember coming back from my Minneapolis trip and entering into Indianapolis. The energy and attractiveness just sort of fell off. But the upper Midwest is certainly different so I'm sure there were other factors.

Places like StL, Pittsburgh, and others have a similar city character, nightlife, and are desirable places to live without (IMO) trying to make a complete apples to oranges comparison.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post

I still remember coming back from my Minneapolis trip and entering into Indianapolis. The energy and attractiveness just sort of fell off. But the upper Midwest is certainly different so I'm sure there were other factors.

Places like StL, Pittsburgh, and others have a similar city character, nightlife, and are desirable places to live without (IMO) trying to make a complete apples to oranges comparison.
I definitely agree with your observations.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 AM

676 posts, read 961,294 times
Yes, in terms of physical layout and infrastructure, Saint Louis has plenty of "urban" neighborhoods. But today, Providence seems more alive in terms of hustle and bustle.

But, my time in Saint Louis was in 2010, so perhaps things have changed by now.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,566 times
I'm thinking people are greatly underestimating the quality of St. Louis architecture in comparison to Providence. Providence has good urban form, but its frame architecture pales in comparison to St. Louis' ornate brick architecture. St. Louis' architecture also seems way more distinct and unique to me. Providence's architecture is comparable to any other New England city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City