Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
While Chicago is an awesome city and Soldiers Field is in a great location, the stadium itself is too small. Would they be able to add in any extra seats for the game?
They would have to update or start over, which is what I was saying above. Now that the seal was broken on NYC, Chicago would be the next logical cold weather open-air host, except the stadium is a hunk of garbage. The old lady (Virginia) has the whole organization on progressive hold until she passes.

It doesn't matter that Denver "can" get to 70 (hell, it was in the 70s in South Dakota this week), it doesn't matter that Seattle "usually" is above freezing, it matters what the worst case scenerio will be. And remember, the game is played after dark at night. Sunday forcasts:

Seattle: 40s and rain
Denver: Low of 23, snow
New York: Low of 15
Philly: Lows in the 20s
Pitt: Lows in the 20s, snow
Boston: Low 15
Kansas City: Low of 9, rain and snow
Chicago: Low of 15, snow
Green Bay: Low of 10, flurries

Basically, none of these are ideal for the "new" NFL. It basically would come down to the city (Chicago is the clear favorite, after NYC) and/or the franchise. The best combo is Chicago with a new stadium; out of the above list as they sit, outside NYC, Seattle seems like the most likely upcoming host to me, though it can easily drop into NYC or even Chicago temps in February there, and that will be an important consideration for the league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 10:57 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
The NFL got extremely lucky with a mild-weathered weekend last year in New Jersey. Look at the northeastern weather this week for comparison. Any future Super Bowl should be in either a dome or warm-weather location.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:01 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The NFL got extremely lucky with a mild-weathered weekend last year in New Jersey. Look at the northeastern weather this week for comparison. Any future Super Bowl should be in either a dome or warm-weather location.
That is fine... but the OP asked what non-traditional city with an open stadium would be most likely, not whether or not it would happen.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
They would have to update or start over, which is what I was saying above. Now that the seal was broken on NYC, Chicago would be the next logical cold weather open-air host, except the stadium is a hunk of garbage. The old lady (Virginia) has the whole organization on progressive hold until she passes.

It doesn't matter that Denver "can" get to 70 (hell, it was in the 70s in South Dakota this week), it doesn't matter that Seattle "usually" is above freezing, it matters what the worst case scenerio will be. And remember, the game is played after dark at night. Sunday forcasts:

Seattle: 40s and rain
Denver: Low of 23, snow
New York: Low of 15
Philly: Lows in the 20s
Pitt: Lows in the 20s, snow
Boston: Low 15
Kansas City: Low of 9, rain and snow
Chicago: Low of 15, snow
Green Bay: Low of 10, flurries

Basically, none of these are ideal for the "new" NFL. It basically would come down to the city (Chicago is the clear favorite, after NYC) and/or the franchise. The best combo is Chicago with a new stadium; out of the above list as they sit, outside NYC, Seattle seems like the most likely upcoming host to me, though it can easily drop into NYC or even Chicago temps in February there, and that will be an important consideration for the league.
Just want to add for further consideration:

City = [ Average Feb High ][ Average Feb Precipitation ][ Average Feb Snowfall]

Seattle = [ 49.9 ][ 3.72 ][ 1.7 ]

Denver = [ 46.2 ][ .37 ][ 5.7 ]

New York = [ 41.6 ][ 3.09 ][ 9.2]

Philadelphia = [ 43.8 ][ 2.65 ][ 8.8]

Pittsburgh = [ 39.3 ][ 2.39 ][ 10.2]

Boston = [ 38.7 ][ 3.25 ][ 10.9]

Kansas City = [ 44.6 ][ 1.48 ][ 3.2 ]

Chicago = [ 35.8 ][ 1.94 ][ 9.1]

Green Bay = [ 28.2 ][ 1.11 ][ 9.9]

I put in bold the highest three temperatures and the lowest 3 precipitation and snow measurements. I would argue that by this hastily made table, that Denver and Kansas City are most likely to have the better weather in February. Seattle is the warmest with the lowest amount of snow, but it is also the most likely to experience precipitation. Of those cities, there are 3 that are better in all categories than New York: Denver, Kansas City, and Philadelphia.

I was going to do a table of worst case, with record lows and such, but I don't have the time and looking at the data, record lows and such are pretty awful in all of the cities.

Going by current city, current stadium, etc... I think the four of those that are most likely to host would be Denver, Kansas City, Seattle, and Philadelphia. Philadelphia has most history playing their first season in '33, Denver and Kansas City were original AFL teams in '60, and Seattle has the least history playing their first game in '76.

(Even though all of those cities are unlikely in the near future.)

Last edited by Xander_Crews; 01-28-2015 at 11:46 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 11:39 AM

Xander - agreed that those cities are generally milder, but a city like Denver (just for one example) has a much greater range of weather possibilities than (say) NYC due to many factors that I'm sure you're aware of. That's why I said that the greatest consideration in planning is worst case scenario...and included Sunday's projected weather for each. It doesn't matter that KC can get into the 50s in February; it matters more than it can be 10 degrees with a below zero wind chill. For the NFL, 10 degrees would be considered a disaster, be it KC or Denver or NYC or Chicago. I personally would love it!

Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Xander - agreed that those cities are generally milder, but a city like Denver (just for one example) has a much greater range of weather possibilities than (say) NYC due to many factors that I'm sure you're aware of. That's why I said that the greatest consideration in planning is worst case scenario...and included Sunday's projected weather for each. It doesn't matter that KC can get into the 50s in February; it matters more than it can be 10 degrees with a below zero wind chill. For the NFL, 10 degrees would be considered a disaster, be it KC or Denver or NYC or Chicago. I personally would love it!
Well yeah, but like I said, if you look at the worst case scenario for ANY non-traditional open stadium city, they all would be completely unacceptable.

The funny thing is, the football players would complain less than the Super Bowl staff and spectators.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:49 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,341 times
I wouldnt want a Super Bowl in Denver just because of the thin air.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I wouldnt want a Super Bowl in Denver just because of the thin air.
Funny, I see that as a positive.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:56 AM

How would that be a positive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
The funny thing is, the football players would complain less than the Super Bowl staff and spectators.
For sure. I grew up playing a lot of football, and it was fun as hell when it snowed on game day. The big linemen will almost across-the-board take cold over hot.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
How would that be a positive?

For sure. I grew up playing a lot of football, and it was fun as hell when it snowed on game day. The big linemen will almost across-the-board take cold over hot.
I liked cold, but not snow in high school. I played half-back though. I went to high school in Iowa, so I played games during freezing drizzle, ha ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City