Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: lower cost of living
Omaha, Nebraska 1 5.00%
Nashville, Tennesee 5 25.00%
Louisville, Kentucky 1 5.00%
Indianapolis, Indiana 9 45.00%
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 2 10.00%
any other cities you have in mind 3 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:36 PM

34,800 posts, read 30,852,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I think that part of the problem with figuring out Indy's vibe is that it's way too big. Unlike most cities, Indianapolis takes up an entire county and includes many suburbs in its city limits. The vibes in Nora, Broad Ripple, Downtown, Speedway, Irvington, Beach Grove, and Southport are all very different IMO. Downtown, I feel like I'm in a fast changing, busy, and vibrant place. Downtown is also still a relatively young residential area that's forming its own identity. Fountain Square is definitely developing a hipster vibe, while Broad Ripple has the feel of a college town (some hipsters there too). You mentioned blue collar as a description of Indy's vibe. I have never lived or spent any significant amount of time in a part of Indianapolis that I'd describe as blue collar.

I could keep going on, but I think the bottom line is that Indy is just too geographically large and disconnected to have one vibe. Obviously every city has neighborhoods with different vibes, but many of Indy's neighborhoods are so drastically different that you wouldn't necessarily know each neighborhood is in the same city.
Wouldn't most of the east, south, and west sides be described as "working class?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 03:50 PM

918 posts, read 1,687,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I think that part of the problem with figuring out Indy's vibe is that it's way too big. Unlike most cities, Indianapolis takes up an entire county and includes many suburbs in its city limits. The vibes in Nora, Broad Ripple, Downtown, Speedway, Irvington, Beach Grove, and Southport are all very different IMO. Downtown, I feel like I'm in a fast changing, busy, and vibrant place. Downtown is also still a relatively young residential area that's forming its own identity. Fountain Square is definitely developing a hipster vibe, while Broad Ripple has the feel of a college town (some hipsters there too). You mentioned blue collar as a description of Indy's vibe. I have never lived or spent any significant amount of time in a part of Indianapolis that I'd describe as blue collar.

I could keep going on, but I think the bottom line is that Indy is just too geographically large and disconnected to have one vibe. Obviously every city has neighborhoods with different vibes, but many of Indy's neighborhoods are so drastically different that you wouldn't necessarily know each neighborhood is in the same city.
It's true, another poster already touched upon that. Any town midsize and greater is going to be split into different sections with different vibes in each.

I was trying to find something that's more or less prevalent across town. The areas that you mention - Broadripple is definitely there as a frat boy/bohemian hang out, Fountain Square/Mass ave may have their hipsters. But are these areas large enough to warrant a significant contribution to the overall vibe or are they more or less outliers ?

One of NYC's five boroughs, Staten Island, is practically a suburban bedroom community but few people think of SI when they think of NYC. Seattle has a few black and Hispanic working-class neighborhoods despite being overwhelmingly populated by white and Asian yuppies who work in tech industry, hipsters and artists. Portland even has a small Italian neighborhood while mostly dominated by granola new age hipsters.

Being that I haven't lived in Indy in nearly a decade, perhaps I don't have the best take on it and I'll gladly concede my opinions to the current inhabitants who've got their ear to the pulse of the city. IMO, vibe is best described as picking a few dominant traits that one is able to observe across a particular area. I'm sure someone else can describe it better than I did

Old 03-18-2015, 03:51 PM

918 posts, read 1,687,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Wouldn't most of the east, south, and west sides be described as "working class?"
That is what I meant by blue-collar

Old 03-18-2015, 04:01 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,529,342 times
I think vibe is the general mood of the city and the energy it put out. Some towns you go to where it seems most everybody is upbeat and feels like something exciting is happening or there's a strong sense that something exciting is about to happen. Some towns have a party vibe to them and they become known as a party town and people visit there with every intention of partying. Even its a real serious bidness convention, there will be some serious partying going on. Thats the kind of vibe that permeates thru out the entire town.
So the town gets a reputation as a relaxed laid back easy going and most anything goes kind of place.

Some towns are down and out and not much going on. Those towns will have a whole different kind of vibe.
Some towns have a negative vibe to them and you pick up on it thru interactions of the people you deal with in the town.

The weather has a lot to do with the vibe of the city, too. It seems to me the sunnier it is, the more upbeat and positive and friendly the vibe of the city is.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:54 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,587,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I guess I would agree with that other than on parts of the east side.

Anyway, my point wasn't that there are no blue collar areas in Indianapolis. My point is that everyone that lives here has a unique perspective based on where they live. I live Downtown near Mass Ave, so that's the vibe I would describe when someone asks me, "What's the vibe in Indianapolis". If I leave Downtown, I'm mostly on the north side, and sometimes on the east side. That's my only other real perspective of Indianapolis. Other than going to a specific restaurant or event, I spend almost no time on the south or west sides. If I lived in Southport or Speedway, I'm assuming my answer to, "What's the vibe in Indianapolis", would be completely different.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:12 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,576,422 times
Huston or Austin.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:32 PM

290 posts, read 336,534 times
You should add Charlotte to your list. It is a quality town that is pretty affordable... Atlanta wouldn't be a terrible choice either, it is very cheap.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:25 PM

16 posts, read 18,611 times
Indianapolis is good...the Noblesville/Geist/Fishers/Carmel area gets my votes. It has good schools, lots of things to do, and the cost of living is reasonable. The downside...winters are harsh. Two years ago we had a polar vortex that threw a huge amount of snow our way. We had snow up to our waists and couldn't see the ground for at least two solid months. It was miserable. Entire counties were closed and you couldn't drive places at all for days at a time. The last two winters we had -30 temps. It is very humid in the summers. Storms can be very bad...this past week there were 5 confirmed tornado touchdowns within a ten mile radius of me, last year, a tornado came through one short mile up the road from me and several homes were ruined. Indianapolis peeps are loyal to their sport teams...you won't find fans better than colts fans. We are all Indy 500 fans too even if you don't like car racing. There is lots to do here, and its fairly short drive into downtown Chicago as well. Indy cost of living is ~6000 dollars less a year than tampa...when I was doing cost of living adjustment, the calculator said to maintain my current lifestyle I'd need to bring in 6k more a year in tampa...

So personally, if you can take the weather here, Indy is a great choice. It the weather is something youd prefer not, I'd steer clear. Nashville seems quite lovely to me...and I'd move there in a heartbeat. That said, we are relocating to Tampa here shortly.

Hopefully this helps with you Indy choice...

Edited to add: I just reread you are getting your associates. Maybe you can tell us the jobs you are looking to get into? That might help too with advice

Old 07-29-2015, 04:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,500,813 times
Thread moved to city-vs-city forum

Sticky: What To Post In This Room (and - NOT). READ BEFORE POSTING ****

Old 07-30-2015, 12:34 AM

9,598 posts, read 9,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Minneapolis.

Mall of America - shopping is pretty good in almost every area you listed though
cost of living is good
good economy - unemployment is 3.9% right now (9/14 data)
family oriented
lots of areas to choose homes from that aren't all cookie cutter
low crime
has pro baseball, hockey and basketball
well known for good culture and food (although not to the super foodie level)
Quote:
Orlando is really family oriented, but has a pretty high crime rate and pretty high home prices relative to salaries (I lived in Orlando 5 years up until this past April
False

Quote:
Indianapolis' economy isn't great, but it isn't awful either - and is also fairly high crime, but not as high as Atlanta or Houston. Indy is very family and sports oriented, and home costs are about the cheapest in a metro area that you'll find
Indianapolis has a great economy, it's not booming but is one of the best in the Midwest. Oklahoma City has cheaper housing than most of the metros mentioned.

Quote:
Atlanta is a little higher cost of living and higher crime outside of suburbia, and the commutes suck there. They have sports as well, but unless you're southern and really want a southern city, I wouldn't recommend it.
False, Atlanta is one of the most affordable large cities in the country.

Quote:
Nashville is nice, but I wouldn't call them a thriving economy, and only has football and hockey for pro sports. Good culture and food there as well though. Not sure about crime levels.
False, you must be living under a rock if you wouldn't call Nashville's economy thriving. It is almost always ranked in the top ten fastest growing cities and economies in the country, but I don't expect someone who bases their like or dislike of cities on sports to know much about economics.

Houston is the one I know the least about, so I'm gonna pass on judging them further.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City