Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:03 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,479,383 times

Advertisements

Why San Francisco companies are choosing Nashville on the east as it's city with the earlier time zone. https://amp.tennessean.com/amp/1858042002

Old 11-26-2018, 07:09 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,402,016 times
Are they really, though?

Old 11-26-2018, 07:42 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,397,613 times
I think Nashville is just being overblown atm.

Mecklenburg county (Charlotte) which is virtually the same size as Nashville is around 50+% more dense.

Charlotte is adding more people than Nashville numerically. Charlotte added 15k+ between 2016-2017. Pretty sure Nashville was below 10k despite quite larger city limits. Austin & Atlanta also added more people (bit city limit sizes vary)

In 2017, in percent, Nashville was the 8th fastest growing larger city behind Charlotte (#4) & Austin (#1). Despite Nashville being a smaller which means in theory, it’s easier to grow by a faster percentage.

I also don’t really think even in downtown development, Nashville is growing any faster than Charlotte, Austin or Atlanta.

I’m not trying to derail the thread this early. But at the same time, I have to question all these fluff articles when I think Nashville has a ways to go to catch Austin & Charlotte — not even mentioning ATL, MIA, DAL, HOU... Nashville doesn’t seem to be growing faster than Austin or CLT in any metric neither percent nor numerical. I know Nashville folk mention list of 40 skyscrapers going up — FYI, CLT & AUS are throwing up large towers fast also.

505 would be the 7th tallest alone in CLT, maybe 8th soon. But beyond height, 20+ floor towers are going up left & right in CLT also. Só development, population growth, I assume jobs, everything still lags behind 2 regional peers that are already quite larger.

I know I sound like a hater now, but I’m really not... I just don’t think the growth is that huge there. And I think it’s getting way more attention than Austin these days and Austin is still going cray cray.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 11-26-2018 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,486,942 times
Nashville needs transit. Plus, too hot there for me.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:13 PM

10,073 posts, read 14,453,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Mecklenburg county (Charlotte) which is virtually the same size as Nashville is around 50+% more dense.

Charlotte is adding more people than Nashville numerically. Charlotte added 15k+ between 2016-2017. Pretty sure Nashville was below 10k despite quite larger city limits. Austin & Atlanta also added more people (bit city limit sizes vary)

In 2017, in percent, Nashville was the 8th fastest growing larger city behind Charlotte (#4) & Austin (#1). Despite Nashville being a smaller which means in theory, it’s easier to grow by a faster percentage.

I also don’t really think even in downtown development, Nashville is growing any faster than Charlotte, Austin or Atlanta.

I’m not trying to derail the thread this early. But at the same time, I have to question all these fluff articles when I think Nashville has a ways to go to catch Austin & Charlotte — not even mentioning ATL, MIA, DAL, HOU... Nashville doesn’t seem to be growing faster than Austin or CLT in any metric neither percent nor numerical. I know Nashville folk mention list of 40 skyscrapers going up — FYI, CLT & AUS are throwing up large towers fast also.

505 would be the 7th tallest alone in CLT, maybe 8th soon. But beyond height, 20+ floor towers are going up left & right in CLT also. Só development, population growth, I assume jobs, everything still lags behind 2 regional peers that are already quite larger.

I know I sound like a hater now, but I’m really not... I just don’t think the growth is that huge there. And I think it’s getting way more attention than Austin these days and Austin is still going cray cray.
You know what it is, Nashville is red-hot at the moment of course (which helps the city get noticed in general), but Nashville's branding and marketing seems to do it almost better than anyone else when it comes to competing to lure companies to their city--at least at the moment.

Add in the historical music city history and the entertainment base that brings, and Nashville seems to have that "cool and edgy vibe" that other mid to larger sized cities just can't lay claim to.

If a start-up/digital agency founder/CEO/executive team is looking to move its HQ from a dynamic city like NYC, Chicago or San Fran, to a smaller, less expensive city that offers high quality of life, access to great shopping/entertainment, and has that "still hip" factor going on, Nashville is probably top of that list right now - at least in 2018/2019.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:17 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
no income tax

Old 11-26-2018, 08:50 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,279,135 times
Quote:

Have you been to Nashville? It has character and identity.

As far growth, you know city limits don’t stop the internal interaction of the metro as whole (including city), Nashville is growing a bit faster than Charlotte.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanth.../#5edbd057febf

And Charlotte may be larger in size, so higher in its tier by virtue of size, but not as far as offerings. They are in the same league for the most part.

Phoenix is tiered higher than Seattle for size, but Seattle punches well above its weight on many things. It outperforms many cities in the top 10 on this board.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:56 PM

413 posts, read 438,193 times
No doubt Nashville is red hot them and Austin.....
Charlotte I think is still hot but not quite like before the recession of 08....

Old 11-26-2018, 08:58 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,699,687 times
I've said it before.. Nashville has that cool factor and is gonna fall in line with the Austins and Portlands where the "it" factor will drive further growth because that will attract creative and educated individuals unlike the cities that grew mostly out of lower COL.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:42 PM

126 posts, read 143,070 times
Quote:

Tell it to AllianceBernstein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City