Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area is a better place to live?
Phoenix 64 39.02%
Denver 100 60.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 02:17 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times

Advertisements

Phoenix ONLY because of location location location.....Close to California Las Vegas and Grand Canyon where else Denver is isolated 9-10 hours(by car) from another major city....If it wasn't for location I'd choose Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
This is a FOOLISH response!!!!!! The only reason phx gets them is the weather! Denver has hosted FAR MORE World Class events! And we have the far superior football team as well! What did Denver do to the cards this season? Need I list the score? Hosting the pope, the G8, Democratic Conventions!!!! Denver has the larger and busier by far airport. Better outdoor activities. Denver is the more educated and healthier city with a better economy. Denver has the far superior mass transit system. And Denver is a CSMA of 3.3 million and still feels like a larger city in its CBD! I would not brag about how phx sprawls! People don't dig that! Denver is the superior city in almost all areas! The poll shall also show this!
But yet seemingly half of Denver's population comes here to Phoenix in winter. I cant tell you how many dozens of CO plates I see on a daily basis.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:32 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
But yet seemingly half of Denver's population comes here to Phoenix in winter. I cant tell you how many dozens of CO plates I see on a daily basis.
Yeah, I have run into quite a few people from Denver this winter. However, I know many Phoenecians who travel there in the summer, myself included!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:53 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
I think there are quite a few people that travel between the two cities. I've known quite a few people who moved here from Denver and vice versa. It just appears (based upon the people I know) that more ended up moving back to Phoenix.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:54 PM

13 posts, read 13,494 times
Pope visited Phoenix in the late 80s, and had the Republican national convention in the 90s.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:45 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
One point no-one mentioned is the fact that Phoenix is a much newer metro than Denver. Phoenix metro didn't get going until the '50s, hence the often heard complaint that everything looks the same here.

Conversely, Denver has a more traditional-city look and feel. Residential architecture there looks more like more eastern cities, whereas Phoenix looks more LA-like.

I won't deny that Denver's drinking water is better than Phoenix's.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
One thing I noticed, as an educated, white collar professional, is that the job opportunities in Phoenix, honestly are severely lacking. Whenever I do internet searches for jobs within 25 miles of Phoenix, the results are staggeringly disappointing. So many temp/contract jobs, lower-skilled white collar jobs, and a lack of corporate headquarter jobs in general. Even metros that are like half the size of Phoenix metro have WAY WAY WAY more quality, well-paying corporate jobs. What the hell?!

In this regard, Denver wins hands down, at least in my field of work! Night and day. There are jobs GALORE in Denver, for corporate tax accountants, which is my field. For this reason alone, I do not think it would be wise to move to Phoenix with no job lined up, in the case of my own specific profession.

Even the Bureau of Labor Statistics ranks Phoenix as having a low "Location Quotient" for accounting jobs, which means that the Phoenix metro has a concentration of accounting jobs that is lower than the national concentration ratio. Ridiculous!

Last edited by nep321; 01-26-2015 at 09:20 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 09:55 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
One thing I noticed, as an educated, white collar professional, is that the job opportunities in Phoenix, honestly are severely lacking. Whenever I do internet searches for jobs within 25 miles of Phoenix, the results are staggeringly disappointing. So many temp/contract jobs, lower-skilled white collar jobs, and a lack of corporate headquarter jobs in general. Even metros that are like half the size of Phoenix metro have WAY WAY WAY more quality, well-paying corporate jobs. What the hell?!

In this regard, Denver wins hands down, at least in my field of work! Night and day. There are jobs GALORE in Denver, for corporate tax accountants, which is my field. For this reason alone, I do not think it would be wise to move to Phoenix with no job lined up, in the case of my own specific profession.

Even the Bureau of Labor Statistics ranks Phoenix as having a low "Location Quotient" for accounting jobs, which means that the Phoenix metro has a concentration of accounting jobs that is lower than the national concentration ratio. Ridiculous!
No one city can be a mecca for every type of job. You do know that, right?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No one city can be a mecca for every type of job. You do know that, right?
Yes... I know that. But it's just odd that a city so big as Phoenix is weak on accounting jobs.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:55 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
"Ask yourself this question, how many Super Bowls as Denver hosted and how many has Phoenix hosted? Phoenix will be hosting its third Super Bowl this year, while Denver has never hosted the Super Bowl. This tells you right here that the powers that be consider Phoenix far more desirable than cold , snowy, Denver in almost every possible metric used to determine desirability.

It's also quite unfair to consider little Denver with an estimated MSA population of 2.7 million to a monster of a metro like Phoenix with a population of 4.4 million people."

This is a FOOLISH response!!!!!! The only reason phx gets them is the weather! Denver has hosted FAR MORE World Class events! And we have the far superior football team as well! What did Denver do to the cards this season? Need I list the score? Hosting the pope, the G8, Democratic Conventions!!!! Denver has the larger and busier by far airport. Better outdoor activities. Denver is the more educated and healthier city with a better economy. Denver has the far superior mass transit system. And Denver is a CSMA of 3.3 million and still feels like a larger city in its CBD! I would not brag about how phx sprawls! People don't dig that! Denver is the superior city in almost all areas! The poll shall also show this!
I have nothing against Phoenix, in fact I enjoy visiting AZ during the winter. However, it's very true that population is only one component of a city's international importance. In the world Global City rankings, Denver is a Beta- city. Even though Phoenix is larger, it's a Gamma+, or less important from a world economic perspective. Objects in mirror are closer than they seem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City