Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area is a better place to live?
Phoenix 64 39.02%
Denver 100 60.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 03:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Okay, this thread isn't about LA, but that is simply incorrect. This isn't an opinion. The Greater LA Metro isn't defined by Lancaster (which is within the Mojave). The majority of Greater LA is Coastal Sage Scrub/ Chaparral/ California grasslands. All you have to do is go on a good hike, whether in the Angeles National Forest, Santa Monica Mountains or Laguna Canyon Wilderness Park, to get an idea of how this place looked like without human inhabitants. I'll give you a clue: not a desert. Plant Communities - LandscapeResource.com

Los Angeles Is Not a Desert. Stop Calling It One. | Commentary | SoCal Focus | KCET

Myth of a Desert Metropolis | UCLA Institute of the Environment and Sustainability Newsroom
Lancaster is considered part of the greater LA MSA, and is indeed part of the Mojave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 05:03 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Geez...that's annoying. Aren't people entitled to simply have their opinions without having to explain them away to people who can't take no for an answer?
If we are doing a compare and contrast between two places, it would be useful for the OP and other's considering moving to one of those places to know what criteria is being used to make such statements. Otherwise, yes people are entitled to their opinions, but they are pretty worthless to anyone trying to gauge what an area/city/state/wtv is like.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:08 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Lancaster is considered part of the greater LA MSA, and is indeed part of the Mojave.
Superfluous statement. Lancaster does not LA make. It is quite absurd to judge the ecosystem of an entire metropolitan area based on one its exurbs.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:38 PM

157 posts, read 192,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
So be specific! This should be fun! What type of food, entertainment, and people do you like?

Quote:
So be specific! This should be fun! What type of food,
A variety of ethnic cuisine, I'm from California so that's what I'm use to.
Quote:
entertainment,
Raunchy.
Quote:
and people do you like?
Of various color....

Old 02-03-2015, 08:05 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
If we are doing a compare and contrast between two places, it would be useful for the OP and other's considering moving to one of those places to know what criteria is being used to make such statements. Otherwise, yes people are entitled to their opinions, but they are pretty worthless to anyone trying to gauge what an area/city/state/wtv is like.
Yes, you are correct; however, there is a difference between responding to the OP versus having to answer to a homer. As you are well aware, it is just as important for posters to speak to what they know about a locale rather than making faulty assumptions without doing some research first.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:54 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Geez...that's annoying. Aren't people entitled to simply have their opinions without having to explain them away to people who can't take no for an answer?
IMO, no. I think it's disingenuous and unproductive to just blurt out the "food, weather, entertainment sucks." That's not the point of this forum. If you ask me what I don't like about Atlanta's chinese cuisine, "it sucks" just isn't helpful. Compare it with another city or name specific areas it's lacking.

This forum is supposed to help those of us who are thinking of relocation.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
I like the mountains around Denver but I'd probably pick phoenix, here is why.

Skiing or snowboarding would never be a regular activity for me, more like some nice retreat a couple times a month if that. And Phoenix has some skiing in flagstaff, I personally never went there to ski, but it's doable on a weekend trip, a bit farther than Denver's bazillion ski resorts, but oh well.

Meaning, my criteria will come down to which city I would rather live in. I just don't want to do cold weather anymore, I don't want to do the whole driving in snow thing anymore. While I know Denver's winters are quite mild compared to the midwest, it still gets cold (in the morning) and it still gets snow. I'd avoid all that for Phoenix, though I'd pay for it by a terrible summer. A price I'm willing to pay.

Then there is the fact Pheonix is within short trips (2-5 hours) of San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Puerto Penasco/Mexico, and what have you. Denver is much much more isolated.

In terms of urbanity, I've only been to Denver to ski so that means drive immediately out to nearby resort towns. However, from the briefest and most superficial of impressions, Denver isn't much more urban than Pheonix, if it all. It's also a sprawly American style city.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:50 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
IMO, no. I think it's disingenuous and unproductive to just blurt out the "food, weather, entertainment sucks." That's not the point of this forum. If you ask me what I don't like about Atlanta's chinese cuisine, "it sucks" just isn't helpful. Compare it with another city or name specific areas it's lacking.

This forum is supposed to help those of us who are thinking of relocation.
Of course it is "supposed" to help those who are thinking of relocation. However, you have to admit that it becomes just as annoying when homers won't shut up about wanting to know WHY someone doesn't like their city as it is when ignorant posters throw out faulty assumptions about other cities.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 AM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I like the mountains around Denver but I'd probably pick phoenix, here is why.

Skiing or snowboarding would never be a regular activity for me, more like some nice retreat a couple times a month if that. And Phoenix has some skiing in flagstaff, I personally never went there to ski, but it's doable on a weekend trip, a bit farther than Denver's bazillion ski resorts, but oh well.

Meaning, my criteria will come down to which city I would rather live in. I just don't want to do cold weather anymore, I don't want to do the whole driving in snow thing anymore. While I know Denver's winters are quite mild compared to the midwest, it still gets cold (in the morning) and it still gets snow. I'd avoid all that for Phoenix, though I'd pay for it by a terrible summer. A price I'm willing to pay.

Then there is the fact Pheonix is within short trips (2-5 hours) of San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Puerto Penasco/Mexico, and what have you. Denver is much much more isolated.

In terms of urbanity, I've only been to Denver to ski so that means drive immediately out to nearby resort towns. However, from the briefest and most superficial of impressions, Denver isn't much more urban than Pheonix, if it all. It's also a sprawly American style city.
I'm with you on this, especially if you want to avoid any sort of cold weather.

Keep in mind from a Southwest, NorCal, SoCal perspective, Denver is very COLD in the winter and fall with temperature and weather extremes, they also exaggerate how much sun they really get. If the sun peaks out for a few seconds, they mark it as a sunny day. In the Southwest and California we don't call it a sunny day unless its completely cloudless. Using Colorado standards, Arizona and California would measure 365 days of sun!

Also, Colorado, not Denver has a lot of ski resorts and only a few are an "hour away". Several are over 3hrs away. Flagstaff is about 2 hrs away from Phoenix.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:18 PM

603 posts, read 931,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I'm with you on this, especially if you want to avoid any sort of cold weather.

Keep in mind from a Southwest, NorCal, SoCal perspective, Denver is very COLD in the winter and fall with temperature and weather extremes, they also exaggerate how much sun they really get. If the sun peaks out for a few seconds, they mark it as a sunny day. In the Southwest and California we don't call it a sunny day unless its completely cloudless. Using Colorado standards, Arizona and California would measure 365 days of sun!

Also, Colorado, not Denver has a lot of ski resorts and only a few are an "hour away". Several are over 3hrs away. Flagstaff is about 2 hrs away from Phoenix.
They are a lot closer to Denver than the resorts are to Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City