Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:47 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
$22k extra is nice but the city and State of California are in serious trouble. The amount of tax you'll be paying over now drops that extra income dramatically. The city itself sucks! Roseville/Rocklin area is nice but a commute if woking downtown.

Personally, you couldn't pay me to live IN Sacramento.
Woah, buddy, this ain't 2007. California is currently one of the best places to be for professionals of all kinds, as the economy is expanding. It still sucks to be poor (or even middle to lower middle class) here. I think states like Colorado and Texas offer better opportunities for the unskilled, or less resource rich. To a point.

If you're poor in California, and intelligent enough to take advantage of the California Community College system (which is TUITION FREE for poor students thanks to the Board of Governors Fee Waiver), and affordable (by national standards even) schools with great programs like CSULB, CSUF and San Diego State, then you can bring yourself up securely into the middle class. Having that said, it isn't necessarily easy, and living expenses while you're a student usually means that you will also be working one or two part-time jobs to get by. You just have to make sure you don't make too much money, because then you don't qualify for the tuition waiver. It's a simple cost/benefits analysis, but I'm not sure enough students take it into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,760 times
Sacramento i lived here 29 year's originally from Phoenix Arizona, when the economy is getting better it comes with a cost gas is 2.11$ milk is 3.33 and the list goes on. I rent a duplex 2 bedroom 2 bath in citrus heights 1,000$ a month. When in Arizona i see 3 bedroom 2 baths with pool for that much wow hmmmm. Gas in arizona 1.71 a gallon ok yes Arizona is hot but who the hell is out side in anything over 102 degrees not even here in sacramento. Now as far as crime stay out of oak park rancho cordova south sacramento north highlands and delpaso heights youll be just fine but once again van burean bell ave Bethany roads those neighborhoods look bad in Phoenix as far as the cost of living Arizona is way cheaper. O my neighbors are drug dealers tell you what 1,000$ a month gets you in sacramento California i can just go on and on. Jerry brown is increasing gas tax by 76 cents for a bullet train yeah im done for now. I lived in both places.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:12 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
Sacramento no question, don't even have to think about it for a half second. I'm not a big fan of Phoenix.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:31 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,457 times
Sacramento is boring but you have Tahoe, Reno and San Francisco within 1-2 hours from you. So this is a tough one, live in a small city where you can make many weekend trips (and you know that as you settle in these weekend trips will become more and more infrequent) or a larger city with more to do?

Ultimately, I'd go with Phoenix personally.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:51 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Sacramento is boring but you have Tahoe, Reno and San Francisco within 1-2 hours from you. So this is a tough one, live in a small city where you can make many weekend trips (and you know that as you settle in these weekend trips will become more and more infrequent) or a larger city with more to do?

Ultimately, I'd go with Phoenix personally.
From Phoenix, you can make weekend trips to Flagstaff and 3 day weekend trips to LA and SD.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:55 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
From Phoenix, you can make weekend trips to Flagstaff and 3 day weekend trips to LA and SD.
There is plenty of entertainment in Sacramento city/metro and there is more options for days trips than Phoenix has.

Sacramento Day trips: Tahoe, Reno, Wine Country, SF, Santa Cruz, Rivers, Lakes, Ocean and beach activities.

Sacramento Weekend (2day trips): Santa Cruz, Monterey, Redwoods, Mt. Shasta area, LA

Sacramento 3 day trips: San Diego.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:24 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
OP, if you love Phoenix and weren't impressed by Sacramento, why live there? I've never been, but everyone I've talked to that has complains about the crime and boredom. I hear it's a pretty area and near some great natural scenery so I'm sure someday I'll head out there, but remember the old adage--money doesn't buy happiness. Sure you'll make more money, but would you truly enjoy living in a city that didn't even impress you on a trip there? Not to mention that Phoenix has warmer winters, and Sacramento summers aren't really that much of an improvement over Phoenix ones.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
OP, if you love Phoenix and weren't impressed by Sacramento, why live there? I've never been, but everyone I've talked to that has complains about the crime and boredom. I hear it's a pretty area and near some great natural scenery so I'm sure someday I'll head out there, but remember the old adage--money doesn't buy happiness. Sure you'll make more money, but would you truly enjoy living in a city that didn't even impress you on a trip there? Not to mention that Phoenix has warmer winters, and Sacramento summers aren't really that much of an improvement over Phoenix ones.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Sacramento has much much better summers than Phoenix. About 20-30 degrees cooler on average. 90% of the time it will cool in the evening and night to where you don't need a/c, and in the morning a.m hours you can be outside 55-60 degrees cool, great for outdoor exercise. Also, the daytime highs average 88-92 degrees with very low humidity.

In normal winters and spring, Sacramento is green and mild, no other place in the continental US is warmer Sacramento than the southwest/florida/hawaii. Like right now it's NATURALLY GREEN. In the fall, Sacramento has lots trees that turn colors.

Sacramento has natural soil for growing things. Sacramento is not a desert like Phoenix.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:37 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
^^Not necessarily true with the CA drought. Besides, Phoenix grows lots of things.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
^^Not necessarily true with the CA drought. Besides, Phoenix grows lots of things.
The drought is 2-3yrs old and Sacramento still has more rain than Phoenix.

150 year averages:

Sacramento = 21 inches of rain per year. Points just 30 miles west, east, and north receive even more rain 30-50 inches of rain per year.

Phoenix = 8 inches of per year.

You can NATURALLY grow plant life as diverse as Redwood trees, Ponderosa pines, elm trees, ferns, cactus, citrus in Sacramento soil. Phoenix is a desert there is no natural soil; it's mostly sand and rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City