Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 07:19 PM

354 posts, read 627,254 times

Advertisements

Whats up Ladies & Gentlemen, How is everyone. So ive always wondered, I know ENC is NC's most rural section & is used mostly for agriculture, & has very few little major cities/towns. And I know that starting from the Eastern Piedmont which is where The Research Triangle Metro Region is located, & The Piedmont Triad Region which is more further towards the west is more urbanized & built up. I also know that in the piedmont & western areas of the state has rural areas as well. So my question is, is there a major difference between the rural areas of WNC & ENC, or is mostly WNC more suburbanized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 07:39 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,489,331 times
When you say WNC are you including the western Piedmont or just the Appailachin region?

Either way they are both far superior to anything between Raleigh and the coast. Eastern NC by far the least appealing part of this otherwise charming state in my opinion.

There are many good people in Eastern NC; but generally the cities and towns there are in rough shape and have far higher crime-rates than similarly sized towns in other parts of the state. There are some nice historical towns like Washington, Bath, Edenton, Beaufort, etc....but those are the exceptions. It's also the least aesthetically pleasing region of the state topographically; mostly flat, treeless, tobacco or cotton fields.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:53 PM

312 posts, read 494,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
When you say WNC are you including the western Piedmont or just the Appailachin region?

Either way they are both far superior to anything between Raleigh and the coast. Eastern NC by far the least appealing part of this otherwise charming state in my opinion.

There are many good people in Eastern NC; but generally the cities and towns there are in rough shape and have far higher crime-rates than similarly sized towns in other parts of the state. There are some nice historical towns like Washington, Bath, Edenton, Beaufort, etc....but those are the exceptions. It's also the least aesthetically pleasing region of the state topographically; mostly flat, treeless, tobacco or cotton fields.
New Bern? Kinston?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen View Post
New Bern? Kinston?
& Greenville which is where i am from

Old 01-25-2015, 08:15 PM

New Bern is nice. Kinston is terrible.

Sorry but I've spent a lot of time in Greenville and the fact that people in Eastern NC view it as "the nice city" speaks volumes for the region as a whole. You have decent areas immediately surrounding ECU's campus and some nice suburban developments on the fringe near Winterville....and the rest is not really anything to write home about. High crime and a lot of run-down looking areas. They have a beautiful park right on the river front and then all of the neighborhoods surrounding it are either trailer parks or boarded up houses with graffiti.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
New Bern is nice. Kinston is terrible.

Sorry but I've spent a lot of time in Greenville and the fact that people in Eastern NC view it as "the nice city" speaks volumes for the region as a whole. You have decent areas immediately surrounding ECU's campus and some nice suburban developments on the fringe near Winterville....and the rest is not really anything to write home about. High crime and a lot of run-down looking areas. They have a beautiful park right on the river front and then all of the neighborhoods surrounding it are either trailer parks or boarded up houses with graffiti.
Ok, but the trailor parks are mostly on the outskirts of Greenville.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:30 PM

I'm not trying to dis your hometown and it's great that you have civic pride; but I think you are getting a little too defensive.

You asked about the differences between Eastern NC and the rest of the state. I gave my opinion. I'm sorry it's not a very favorable one but I'd imagine most people familiar with NC as a whole would agree with me that Eastern NC is generally viewed as less desirable than the rest of the state.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to dis your hometown and it's great that you have civic pride; but I think you are getting a little too defensive.

You asked about the differences between Eastern NC and the rest of the state. I gave my opinion. I'm sorry it's not a very favorable one but I'd imagine most people familiar with NC as a whole would agree with me that Eastern NC is generally viewed as less desirable than the rest of the state.
Trust me & believe me I know how most of ENC is, but its the fact that you made it seem like Greenville is the only city in ENC that has abandoned homes & trailor parks in certain parts of the city. Trust me yes, the city does have a few run-down areas, but it is also doing alot better than the rest of ENC.

In other words Im saying is, its one of the better areas in this region.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Trust me & believe me I know how most of ENC is, but its the fact that you made it seem like Greenville is the only city in ENC that has abandoned homes & trailor parks in certain parts of the city. Trust me yes, the city does have a few run-down areas, but it is also doing alot better than the rest of ENC.

In other words Im saying is, its one of the better areas in this region.
I know....I made that exact same claim myself. And that's the point. It's considered the nicest city in Eastern, NC...even though it's not a particularly nice city. That speaks volumes about the region overall.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:30 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
NC isn't best described as "eastern" and "western" unless one is talking about pork barbecue.
It's really best described as eastern: east of I-95, Piedmont (central): essentially the Piedmont Crescent that runs from Raleigh to Charlotte, and western: essentially the mountains.
If there is any other distinct district that one can argue is different from the others, it would be the Sand Hills between the lower Piedmont and The Coastal Plain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City