Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Orlando 36 38.71%
Ft. Lauderdale 57 61.29%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:12 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
EXACTLY. Miami metro is now like any big metro, like DC, Chicago, LA, SF, where it's not quiet or not congested. They are highly urbanized metros. Perhaps the Miami metro was not like that before but no other in Florida can match it. Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville all have vey similar metros in that they are sprawling suburban cookie cutter type places.

So if someone wants to live a quiet retiree life, in a sprawled out place, Orlando metro certainly fits the bill much better. But if you want something more urban, vibrant, lively, diverse, cultured, then by far Miami metro is going to give you that.

There is nothing exciting nor that appealing about Orlando to the general public unless you want a quiet suburban type of life. The most exciting thing in Orlando is the Incredible Hulk roller coaster, haha. Or maybe Mako at Seaworld?
That's how I'd understand the difference personally. For my lifestyle and interests, I'd have a much higher QOL in Miami if I could find a job. And I'd gladly live in Ft. Lauderdale and commute or try to find a job there. My personal QOL would be much higher in that area. Maybe overall people may have a higher QOL in Orlando or Tampa, but those looking for a real city feel in a highly urbanized area like me would not be as happy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:18 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
There is nothing exciting nor that appealing about Orlando to the general public unless you want a quiet suburban type of life. The most exciting thing in Orlando is the Incredible Hulk roller coaster, haha. Or maybe Mako at Seaworld?
Do you really expect to be taken seriously by posting ignorant drivel like this? Kindly find another sandbox in which to play.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
EXACTLY. Miami metro is now like any big metro, like DC, Chicago, LA, SF, where it's not quiet or not congested. They are highly urbanized metros. Perhaps the Miami metro was not like that before but no other in Florida can match it. Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville all have vey similar metros in that they are sprawling suburban cookie cutter type places.

So if someone wants to live a quiet retiree life, in a sprawled out place, Orlando metro certainly fits the bill much better. But if you want something more urban, vibrant, lively, diverse, cultured, then by far Miami metro is going to give you that.

Miami is not a "highly urbanized metro." Stop looking at Googlemaps and assuming that it is because of a grid-layout and tall buildings. There is a very small part (downtown, and Miami Beach) that feels "urban." The rest looks like any other place in a typical Florida city. Just with more congestion. If congestion anywhere is a plus, and somehow increases one's QOL, then yes, one will like the area significantly more.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
That's how I'd understand the difference personally. For my lifestyle and interests, I'd have a much higher QOL in Miami if I could find a job. And I'd gladly live in Ft. Lauderdale and commute or try to find a job there. My personal QOL would be much higher in that area. Maybe overall people may have a higher QOL in Orlando or Tampa, but those looking for a real city feel in a highly urbanized area like me would not be as happy there.
That is an incredibly miserable commute... Just FYI. These areas may be a bit more "urbanized" than Orlando or Tampa, but don't assume that to mean that they are particularly "urban" by any means. It's not SF, Chicago, NYC, Boston, or Philly by any stretch of the imagination. The commute is going to look like this https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9613...7i16384!8i8192 much like it would look like this in Orlando https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6279...7i16384!8i8192

To experience the "urban lifestyle" you'd want in SFL, you practically have to live downtown or in Brickell. I have a friend who grew up in NYC and moved there. She loves it there. There is also a regular poster here (forget the name) who moved from I believe Manhattan to Brickell, and also loves it. Aside from that, it's just not quite as "urban" a place as many would be lead to believe.
Ironically, lots of people constantly bash Atlanta for not being urban enough, but yet assume Miami to be. Is it because of the street layouts? Or density? Atlanta has a more urban feel than Miami.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:21 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Having known a lot of these upstate transplants over the years, I'd assign a resounding 'no' to that statement. There was definitely a sense of seeking a better lifestyle for most I knew, and it clearly was not just about money. 'Old' Miami/Fort Lauderdale no longer existed in their minds.
Yeah, that may be the case for some, but I’d hardly say it’s a resounding no. You said it yourself “seeking a better lifestyle”. Short of family or jobs, money is usually the biggest factor, though many won’t admit this out of pride, which seems silly to me. I’m sorry, but I don’t see someone with a good job, living in a good neighborhood (urban or suburban), with good schools, close to work, etc, etc, making a lateral move from Miami to Orlando is it wasn’t about the money. Maybe Tampa because it’s still on the water, but not Orlando.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:24 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Do you really expect to be taken seriously by posting ignorant drivel like this? Kindly find another sandbox in which to play.
Yes I do.

Oh come on lighten up, it's just a joke. Maybe a visit to the Magic Kingdom might lighten up your mood.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:28 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
That is an incredibly miserable commute... Just FYI. These areas may be a bit more "urbanized" than Orlando or Tampa, but don't assume that to mean that they are particularly "urban" by any means. It's not SF, Chicago, NYC, Boston, or Philly by any stretch of the imagination. The commute is going to look like this https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9613...7i16384!8i8192 much like it would look like this in Orlando https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6279...7i16384!8i8192

To experience the "urban lifestyle" you'd want in SFL, you practically have to live downtown or in Brickell. I have a friend who grew up in NYC and moved there. She loves it there. There is also a regular poster here (forget the name) who moved from I believe Manhattan to Brickell, and also loves it. Aside from that, it's just not quite as "urban" a place as many would be lead to believe.
Ironically, lots of people constantly bash Atlanta for not being urban enough, but yet assume Miami to be. Is it because of the street layouts? Or density? Atlanta has a more urban feel than Miami.
Totally understand that. I know nothing actually compares to NYC Philly Chicago whatever, but Ft. Lauderdale does have an actual downtown area plus a strip of urbanization along the beach with hotels, restaurants, bars, and clubs. They may be touristy, but I'd still go to them. I'd ride a bike to them and just hang out at a beach all day after some drinks or something on the weekend. Also Google Maps says the commute on the train from Ft. Lauderdale to Brickell is only 46 minutes. Driving may be hell with traffic and it says up to 1:30, but I honestly much prefer trains to driving anyway. If I lived in downtown Ft. Lauderdale, I could walk to a Publix for groceries, bike to the beach, and take a train to work in Brickell.

And no, I've never done just that, so please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. But from the looks of it, I could live a pretty car-lite lifestyle, in a downtown area, a short bike ride to the beach, and a relatively short train ride from Brickell/downtown Miami. But I think for me and my lifestyle, again correct me if I'm wrong, I'd find more happiness in Ft. Lauderdale. There may be some people looking for a quieter life moving to Orlando and Tampa, but that's not me. I know that Orlando has a downtown, but it's still not the same lifestyle.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Yeah, that may be the case for some, but I’d hardly say it’s a resounding no. You said it yourself “seeking a better lifestyle”. Short of family or jobs, money is usually the biggest factor, though many won’t admit this out of pride, which seems silly to me. I’m sorry, but I don’t see someone with a good job, living in a good neighborhood (urban or suburban), with good schools, close to work, etc, etc, making a lateral move from Miami to Orlando is it wasn’t about the money. Maybe Tampa because it’s still on the water, but not Orlando.
Some prefer the more frantic pace of Miami. Orlando has its share of issues with traffic, visitors, etc., but it is easier to get away from all of that in Orlando than it is Miami. So someone seeking a more peaceful lifestyle while still having access to some urban amenities (sporting events, theaters, museums, walkable neighborhoods, etc) might choose Orlando, while someone seeking a more frantic place with little to nowhere to go to escape it aside from The Everglades, or seeking to live in a residential highrise with a bigger variety of retail attainable by foot (Brickell) might choose Miami, even if it means taking a slight pay cut.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:37 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Miami is not a "highly urbanized metro." Stop looking at Googlemaps and assuming that it is because of a grid-layout and tall buildings. There is a very small part (downtown, and Miami Beach) that feels "urban." The rest looks like any other place in a typical Florida city. Just with more congestion. If congestion anywhere is a plus, and somehow increases one's QOL, then yes, one will like the area significantly more.
I have been to the Miami Metro more than a dozen of times since my dad lives there. It is a highly urbanized metro. How many metros can you name that have cities/downtowns like WPB, Fort. Lauderdale, Miami, Coral Gables, Miami Beach, Delray Beach, in their metro, just to name a few. Not even Chicago outside of Chicago has neighboring or surrounding cities like Miami metro does.

Three international airports, two international seaports, a new rail system (Brightline) that links all the major cities in the metro, high density for a metro overall. Currently Miami is the FOURTH densest metro in the country, after NYC, LA and Philadelphia. It's a very developed metro, and mostly due because it has ocean on one side the Everglades on the other, which has forced it to be a highly urbanized metro. It's a denser metro than Boston, Chicago's or San Francisco's metros. Of course Miami metro doesn't have anything to match the cities of Boston, Chicago or San Francisco, but to say that the Miami metro is NOT a highly urbanized metro, is a lie. Unless theme parks are paramount, Miami metro just offers way more than Orlando metro, be it beach living, city living, and amenities in a lot of different ways.

Heck Orlando can't even compete with West Palm Beach's downtown! WPB has a more vibrant and more things to do in their downtown than Orlando's.

Hey, if you are jealous that the Miami metro just is a more dynamic and urban place than Orlando and can't accept the fact, well I am sorry to hear that. Denial can certainly blur things, I understand that. But accept Orlando for what it is. A sprawled, sunbelt city, that is perfect if you want quiet living at a cheap cost.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

And no, I've never done just that, so please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. But from the looks of it, I could live a pretty car-lite lifestyle, in a downtown area, a short bike ride to the beach, and a relatively short train ride from Brickell/downtown Miami. But I think for me and my lifestyle, again correct me if I'm wrong, I'd find more happiness in Ft. Lauderdale. There may be some people looking for a quieter life moving to Orlando and Tampa, but that's not me. I know that Orlando has a downtown, but it's still not the same lifestyle.
You could definitely do that in Miami, if you live in a "downtown" area such as Brickell, yes.
Living car-free downtown Orlando would not provide the same lifestyle. I certainly agree on that. The biggest issue is the lack of proper retail attainable by foot, which quite frankly, is absolutely pathetic for a city trying to enhance its downtown and attract residents.

Just keep in mind that even in Miami, being car-free works for the "downtown areas," and they are small. Aside from that, the metro area is still extremely car-centric. But yes, living how you describe is very doable in Miami...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City