Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Cultural and Iconic?
Washington, DC 25 49.02%
San Francisco 26 50.98%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
So an AIA poll of 1,800 random people is the ultimate determination. Ok. The Washington Cathedral was #3. I love the Washington Cathedral, but as far as DC goes it's off the beaten path and is not a major "icon" of the city (most in America are probably unfamiliar with it...). Even SF has a similar cathedral on its most prominent hill.

https://www.google.com/search?q=grac...w=1280&bih=927

If I were asked by the AIA to write down my 3 favorite structures in America, the Golden Gate Bridge would not make the list. However, it doesn't take away from the fact that the GGB is still easily one of the most iconic, right up there with the Statue of Liberty, the Hollywood Sign, etc.
And so is the White House. The White House is one the most iconic buildings in America and one of the most recongnizable. The Golden Gate Bridge is not as iconic as the White House and this is a fact. Although, I'm not really taking nothing you say seriously after the fact you said SF had better muesems than DC. Lol, it's one thing to love where you live and another to just be flat out ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 08:30 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
And so is the White House. The White House is one the most iconic buildings in America and one of the most recongnizable. The Golden Gate Bridge is not as iconic as the White House and this is a fact. Although, I'm not really taking nothing you say seriously after the fact you said SF had better muesems than DC. Lol, it's one thing to love where you live and another to just be flat out ridiculous.
^^^Please quote me. I believe what I said is below. Deluusions, you're simply having delusions.

Quote:
DC may have more overall museums, but SF has a few important ones of its own, and museums that really cater to "SF" and its contributions to the world moreso than simply being generic major museums in a nation's capital. E.g. the Asian Art Museum, the SFMOMA, etc etc

Old 02-03-2015, 08:32 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,433 times
Quote:
^^^Please quote me. I believe what I said is below. Deluusions, you're simply having delusions.
That was a corny joke and an even worse comeback. Go back to arguing your ridiculous point on the SF vs. NYC forum

Old 02-03-2015, 08:39 PM

I missed where the joke was...my bad.

I never voted in that poll and most of my "argument" was merely linking the two as being pretty similar, albeit on entirely different scales, not saying one is better than the other. For instance, a mere month ago, the last time I was in there (except to ask someone to clarify a point about another city altogether), I pointed out the stratospheric real estate prices found in both cities. I never said one was better or worse than the other. Of course, it being C-D, misinterpretation ensued and argument resulted.

However, similarly to how many people think it's utterly incomprehensible to even compare NYC and SF or utter them in the same sentence, when it comes to CULTURE/ICONICITY, I personally think it's utterly incomprehensible that DC can even be compared to SF.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:04 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Just by the strength of how easily identifiable and unique SF is makes this debate really difficult.
Yep. That's why I chose this matchup.

One thing that helps DC is having a much larger media presence (even outside of the United States). You see a lot of images of DC during short segments on the BBC.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:23 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
DC may have more overall museums, but SF has a few important ones of its own, and museums that really cater to "SF" and its contributions to the world moreso than simply being generic major museums in a nation's capital. E.g. the Asian Art Museum, the SFMOMA, etc etc
How is SFMOMA not generic when pretty much every major city has a museum like that?

Quote:
I mean into the nitty gritty, Irish Coffee was invented in SF.
No it wasn't, it was invented in...wait for it.....IRELAND. SF was just the first US city to introduce it.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:21 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
D.C. has the Smithsonian which kind of destroys any Museums in SF. Let's be honest....any city would kill to have the Smithsonian.

Anonelitist used to be a pretty reasonable poster, however, anything dealing with SF and he goes into heavy booster mode.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:40 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
One thing that helps DC is having a much larger media presence (even outside of the United States).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUBjtM8qkGQ

"Hi, I'm Wolf Blitzer and want to thank our viewers from the United States and around the world for joining us in the Situation Room, broadcast from our studios in Washington, D.C."

Old 02-04-2015, 11:41 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
More cultural: San Francisco

More iconic: Washington, D.C.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How is SFMOMA not generic when pretty much every major city has a museum like that?

No it wasn't, it was invented in...wait for it.....IRELAND. SF was just the first US city to introduce it.
SFMOMA was one of the first museums in the world to exclusively showcase 20th century art, and is one of the largest and most prominent, by far, to this day. I think it fits the city particularly well. Similarly, the Asian Art Museum in SF is also the largest and by far most prominent of its kind in the US, and I think that it also fits the city very well.

If you look at SF's museums, they do tend to focus on the wacky, the contemporary, and are a reflection of the people of the city. This applies to the Exploratorium as well. The Legion of Honor even takes on that "Paris of the West" moniker with its replica of Palais de la Légion d'Honneur. I wouldn't call the museums generic or compiling collections for the sake of compiling collections. Most cities do what they can to compile collections and create "big" museums. However, my point is that SF's museums are very much a reflection of the city itself and are not collections for the sake of collections. SF is iconic, unique, interesting, and "cultural" enough to do this.

Ok, so Irish Coffee was invented in Ireland. I must have just misheard one of those tour bus guides at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
D.C. has the Smithsonian which kind of destroys any Museums in SF. Let's be honest....any city would kill to have the Smithsonian.

Anonelitist used to be a pretty reasonable poster, however, anything dealing with SF and he goes into heavy booster mode.
The Smithsonian is great - so many world class museums bundled into one. But it fuels my point that DC is the nation's capital and rather than having a set of museums that really depict the city itself, they are a set of museums that are "national" in nature, or are about things that are only in DC because DC happens to be the nation's capital.

And I think I'm generally fair. Why would I "boost" DC when I believe that in terms of culture and icons that SF far exceeds its counterpart? DC is a great city, but it is one of the most sterile cities in this country and it would cease to be even just 20% of what it is today had the "square" in the swamps of the Potomac not been selected, arbitrarily, to be the nation's capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City