Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:31 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
So does Dallas and Fort Worth...
I think its just harder to distinguish Fort Worth and Dallas because Fort Worth doesn't really get any national recognition. It would help to culturally separate the two if fort worth also was a major league city in sports which would widen your media base across the country. Also, history if fort worth has any national significance affecting the US would help. You can even include topography. DC as the nations capital already gives it significance. But Baltimore is just as historic and can claim many first in the US early birth (national anthem, first Washington monument, B&O railroad, architecture, ect.). Baltimore is a port city at the mouth of the Cesapeake Bay and DC is on the Potomac river. DC is laid out like Paris, Baltimore is laid out like your traditional dense northeast city.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 02-09-2015 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 01:33 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,685 times
I think as DC becomes bigger, & more people move to Baltimore but work in DC to save costs, the region will become more interconnected. Especially if Maryland approves the Baltimore red line because then theoretically you could rise the train from Baltimore all the way to Tysons

Old 02-09-2015, 05:17 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
I think its just harder to distinguish Fort Worth and Dallas because Fort Worth doesn't really get any national recognition. It would help to culturally separate the two if fort worth also was a major league city in sports which would widen your media base across the country. Also, history if fort worth has any national significance affecting the US would help. You can even include topography. DC as the nations capital already gives it significance. But Baltimore is just as historic and can claim many first in the US early birth (national anthem, first Washington monument, B&O railroad, architecture, ect.). Baltimore is a port city at the mouth of the Cesapeake Bay and DC is on the Potomac river. DC is laid out like Paris, Baltimore is laid out like your traditional dense northeast city.
I guess ESPN broadcasting big events here 3 times since 2011 didn't help much...

That sucks.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Ummm to whomever said nobody commutes from DC to DT Baltimore for work that is false. It's also false that no one commutes from Baltimore to DC proper for work as I know personal examples to both. It also should be very understood that a lot of "DC suburb" to DT Baltimore commuting takes place, as well as "Baltimore suburb" to DC or any satellite suburbs of DC is very common in the region. Obviously the numbers must not be high enough to consider one MSA, but all you have to look at is the BW parkway during rush hour to see the cross commuting between the two.

Think about it if your a Doctor at Hopkins and make 145k a year it is very possible to live in or commute from Montgomery County or one of the other affluent DC suburbs to go work in Baltimore, plus chances are your not working 5 days out the week, it's very possible and does happen.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:02 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
So? North side of Chicago has a different culture than the south side of Chicago with different sports teams too. (well at least baseball)
Calm down.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:42 PM

254 posts, read 401,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Calm down.
As multiple people have reacted the same way to your comment, perhaps you could take the opportunity to clarify your remark instead of patronizingly telling people to calm down (and for the record, as I write this, I am exceedingly calm).

Old 02-10-2015, 04:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFW View Post
As multiple people have reacted the same way to your comment, perhaps you could take the opportunity to clarify your remark instead of patronizingly telling people to calm down (and for the record, as I write this, I am exceedingly calm).
I can tell him to calm down because he overreacted. I simply made a statement with an area that I'm familiar with, just because I said DC and Baltimore have a seperate culture does not mean Fort Worth and Dallas don't. My comment was one sentence that consisted of 8 words that wasn't relevant to Dallas or Fort Worth and it wasn't remark. I was simply stating a fact. Also, two people replied to my comment so don't exaggerate. One of the posters lashed out on multiple posters so yes I do have a right to tell him to calm down. You don't tell what I can and can't do. What I said did not have to be clarified because it had nothing to do with Texas, it was just a simple little fact.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,560 times
One big difference between Dallas and Fort Worth vs. DC and Baltimore is that until the last few decades Baltimore was the larger city and metro area. My impression is that if Fort Worth was ever larger than Dallas, it was a long time ago. Baltimore had over a half million people in 1900 and nearly double the size of DC. It makes sense that, despite its many troubles in the 2nd half of the 20th century, Baltimore still has a strong sense of itself that has nothing to do with DC. Also, DC's major business, the Federal Government, makes it different than every place else in the US. And finally, the cities just have different attitudes. Here in Baltimore we regularly meet folks that just don't like the hyper competitive and antagonistic DC attitude. We don't meet people that really love that kind of thing; they are happy in DC.

I'm sure Dallas and Fort Worth are different but it is hard to imagine that they are quite as different as DC and Baltimore.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
One big difference between Dallas and Fort Worth vs. DC and Baltimore is that until the last few decades Baltimore was the larger city and metro area. My impression is that if Fort Worth was ever larger than Dallas, it was a long time ago. Baltimore had over a half million people in 1900 and nearly double the size of DC. It makes sense that, despite its many troubles in the 2nd half of the 20th century, Baltimore still has a strong sense of itself that has nothing to do with DC. Also, DC's major business, the Federal Government, makes it different than every place else in the US. And finally, the cities just have different attitudes. Here in Baltimore we regularly meet folks that just don't like the hyper competitive and antagonistic DC attitude. We don't meet people that really love that kind of thing; they are happy in DC.

I'm sure Dallas and Fort Worth are different but it is hard to imagine that they are quite as different as DC and Baltimore.
I've lived in DC and live in Dallas. Both are very different, but Dallas and Fort Worth have almost no similarities. I would argue that Dallas and Fort Worth are more different than DC and Baltimore.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 AM

254 posts, read 401,196 times
I think one challenge when looking at any two cities of the same region from somewhere well outside of that region, is that the cities will appear to be much more similar than to those looking at it from within that region. So, for example, to someone living in Atlanta, Seattle and Portland may seem to have much more in common than they do. So to someone in Texas, a couple of cities in the mid-Atlantic might not seem too dissimilar and to someone in Maryland, there may appear to be little different culturally about any two cities in Texas. But I think when you are able to look past that, there are some very strong differences between Fort Worth and Dallas, just as there are between Washington and Baltimore. That is also not to say, however, that no two cities are exactly the same (which I think misses the point), only that in these cases, there are indeed some significant differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City