Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro would be better for me?
Columbus, OH 22 66.67%
Oklahoma City, OK 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:26 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times

Advertisements

Which place would you prefer to live in: Columbus metro or OKC metro?

I wish I had visited and spent time in both, but have only driven through them on the interstate. They are both chock full of jobs in my field, have a lower cost of living, and aren't overpopulated.

Columbus seems to have been recommended to me on this forum time and again. But now, I am intrigued by OKC. I have a friend there and he said life is easy there. The only disturbing thing about OKC is that the gay population is far, far smaller than that of Cbus. I wonder why that is.

OKC seems to be susceptible to tornadoes. Columbus seems to be exempt from any and all natural disasters, which is great. OKC has a nice grid road system, and Columbus roads are just a jumbled mess, just by looking at Google Maps.

Politically, Columbus metro leans liberal, which I prefer. OKC metro, on the other hand is solidly conservative. OKC apparently is a Bible Belt place with ultra extreme right wing nutjobs. Even the governor, Mary Fallin wanted to ban ALL marriages, simply because the Supreme Court overturned the state's ban on gay marriage. Wow.

Scenically, I would say that OKC is far more appealing than central Ohio. Wide open spaces with lakes and rivers and mild terrain.

Culturally, OKC seems to be southern, complete with accents, obesity and redneck culture. However, I heard Cbus has that too, with a significant amount of hicks from WV. Some people also say that Cbus is dominated by OSU, which I don't give a rat's ass about.

Which place would you prefer to live in and why? And which would be better for me? I assume everyone in this forum knows me already, so I am not going to bother saying anything about my needs and wants. I am moving out of Fairfield County in May, to a new place with no job lined up and $75K to play with (for real).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 11:29 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,876 times
As my grandfather would say:"slim pickings between rotten apples." I have never lived in either place, but have visited. They are both flat, ugly and IMO boring. That said: I would pick Columbus. The OSU is a much better university than OU, which isn't even in OKC, but in Norman which is one of the most lame college towns in the US, just adjacent to OKC. So we are down to neighborhoods: Germantown, the most urban neighborhood in Columbus is WAY more urban than Bricktown, the most urban neighborhood in OKC. And Columbus actually has a gay life, though OKC will compete if you like closeted truckers.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:30 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,894 times
Default It's a no-brainer

Knowing you, you'd hate Oklahoma City. Way too Bible Belt and conservative, especially coming from the metro NE.

Columbus probably isn't too bad - I've never been, but it's a solid, Midwestern city which would be reasonably liberal.

It might not be a bad idea to actually visit these places before you move though - just my humble opinion.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:49 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Which place would you prefer to live in: Columbus metro or OKC metro?

I wish I had visited and spent time in both, but have only driven through them on the interstate. They are both chock full of jobs in my field, have a lower cost of living, and aren't overpopulated.

Columbus seems to have been recommended to me on this forum time and again. But now, I am intrigued by OKC. I have a friend there and he said life is easy there. The only disturbing thing about OKC is that the gay population is far, far smaller than that of Cbus. I wonder why that is.

OKC seems to be susceptible to tornadoes. Columbus seems to be exempt from any and all natural disasters, which is great. OKC has a nice grid road system, and Columbus roads are just a jumbled mess, just by looking at Google Maps.

Politically, Columbus metro leans liberal, which I prefer. OKC metro, on the other hand is solidly conservative. OKC apparently is a Bible Belt place with ultra extreme right wing nutjobs. Even the governor, Mary Fallin wanted to ban ALL marriages, simply because the Supreme Court overturned the state's ban on gay marriage. Wow.

Scenically, I would say that OKC is far more appealing than central Ohio. Wide open spaces with lakes and rivers and mild terrain.

Culturally, OKC seems to be southern, complete with accents, obesity and redneck culture. However, I heard Cbus has that too, with a significant amount of hicks from WV. Some people also say that Cbus is dominated by OSU, which I don't give a rat's ass about.

Which place would you prefer to live in and why? And which would be better for me? I assume everyone in this forum knows me already, so I am not going to bother saying anything about my needs and wants. I am moving out of Fairfield County in May, to a new place with no job lined up and $75K to play with (for real).
Columbus is a progressive city with a great economic outlook and that has fantastic urban neighborhoods to boot. If someone hasn't been there in ten years the urban neighborhoods have boomed and the short north is now far more cosmopolitan and urban than German Village on the south side, though German village is a great urban neighborhood too. Many cities would kill to have an urban neighborhood as booming and developing as the short north in Columbus.

Also if the lgbt population maters to you Columbus is one of the "gay Meccas" of the Midwest. The lgbt community is a core part of the cities fabric much more so than other Midwestern cities of equal Metro size like Indianapolis And Cincinnati and even more than larger metro Cleveland.

Columbus is a metro of 2 million so OSU is part of the cities culture but OSU is more of a city within a city and there is way more to Columbus than OSU so I wouldn't worry about that. Also, the city is a modern city full of transplants from around the U.S. and now globally. It now draws more people from Asia Hispanic countries and Africa than anywhere else in Ohio. Columbus would give you a much more diverse experience. Some transplants did come from the south, but those are the minority so southern accents tend to be heard more on the southern side of the metro.

As far as tornados: Columbus is on the edge of "tornado alley" so the metro does get hit by a few smaller twisters every once in a while. The whole metro has tornado warning sirens in all pockets and they are tested every Wednesday. They are rare but do happen sometimes. It is probably very unlikely one could hit the core city, they usually touch the exurbs.

Last edited by streetcreed; 02-07-2015 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 07:14 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Columbus is a progressive city with a great economic outlook and that has fantastic urban neighborhoods to boot. If someone hasn't been there in ten years the urban neighborhoods have boomed and the short north is now far more cosmopolitan and urban than German Village on the south side, though German village is a great urban neighborhood too. Many cities would kill to have an urban neighborhood as booming and developing as the short north in Columbus.

Also if the lgbt population maters to you Columbus is one of the "gay Meccas" of the Midwest. The lgbt community is a core part of the cities fabric much more so than other Midwestern cities of equal Metro size like Indianapolis And Cincinnati and even more than larger metro Cleveland.

Columbus is a metro of 2 million so OSU is part of the cities culture but OSU is more of a city within a city and there is way more to Columbus than OSU so I wouldn't worry about that. Also, the city is a modern city full of transplants from around the U.S. and now globally. It now draws more people from Asia Hispanic countries and Africa than anywhere else in Ohio. Columbus would give you a much more diverse experience. Some transplants did come from the south, but those are the minority so southern accents tend to be heard more on the southern side of the metro.

As far as tornados: Columbus is on the edge of "tornado alley" so the metro does get hit by a few smaller twisters every once in a while. The whole metro has tornado warning sirens in all pockets and they are tested every Wednesday. They are rare but do happen sometimes. It is probably very unlikely one could hit the core city, they usually touch the exurbs.
Now you've gotten me interested enough to put this city on my bucket list...lol. Southwest usually has cheap airfares to there from Atlanta, so I'll have to check that out sometime.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:33 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
But now, I am intrigued by OKC.
You're funny nep.

Quote:
OKC has a nice grid road system
Which usually lends itself to the look of what you would likely describe as "in development" in places like OKC, which is gridded out in superblocks like Phoenix and ABQ. You've made your thoughts on that kind of urban planning known here, it's probably not for you.

Quote:
Columbus roads are just a jumbled mess, just by looking at Google Maps..
Which likely means it has more settled and established neighborhoods that you're use to having back east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Knowing you, you'd hate Oklahoma City. Way too Bible Belt and conservative, especially coming from the metro NE.:
He must have known this before starting the thread.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-07-2015 at 07:41 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
You're funny nep.

Which usually lends itself to the look of what you would likely describe as "in development" in places like OKC, which is gridded out in superblocks like Phoenix and ABQ. You've made your thoughts on that kind of urban planning known here, it's probably not for you.

Which likely means it has more settled and established neighborhoods that you're use to having back east.

He must have known this before starting the thread.
It's a legit question though. Just look at the poll. Columbus and OKC are in a dead heat.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:10 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
It's a legit question though. Just look at the poll. Columbus and OKC are in a dead heat.
I'm just pointing out the differences according the preferences you've stated before in other threads. Does it really matter what everyone else thinks? OKC is what it is.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:13 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,439 times
Both cities are growing, although I would lean more towards Columbus.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:24 AM

Also, to the person who automatically thinks that I like urban living.....you're wrong.

I want a small house located in a spot such that when I walk outside of my house, the noise pollution is virtually nonexistent. I don't want to hear cars, highways or people. The house can be located in a city, but as long as the neighborhood itself is quiet as can be.

Not sure if I stated this before, but my #1 goal is to attain home ownership by the age of 32. Right now I'm 30 and have absolutely had it with apartment living and all the drama it entails with neighbors and landlords. I don't mind doing housework, either.

My only concern about OKC is that it might be too Bible beltish for me? I don't know. But I thought Charlotte was too southern/churchy for me, as of two years ago. I was shocked to see that the OKC metro voted 61% for Romney....wow....that's pretty darn conservative. On the other hand, the Columbus metro voted 47% for Romney. But OKC just seems more toned down and laid back than Columbus, which is more what my personality is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City