Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Los Angeles 33 31.43%
San Diego 17 16.19%
San Francisco 38 36.19%
A City in Florida 17 16.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:22 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Much of this glorious bounty of produce is due to CAs climate btw. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:27 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Is it? That 10 degrees difference in the winter changes all kinds of flora that can be grown in Miami Beach cannot be grown in San Diego. Coconut palms in my courtyard are now dropping coconuts which I sometimes use to make smoothies, go ahead and try to grow a coconut palm in San Diego and ask if it's comfortable.

In the winter, that 10 degrees means people are in light jackets versus shirts and even short sleeves. In the summer, a 90 degree day is better for the beach than a 70, even upper 70 degree day. So it basically comes down to your lifestyle. If you want 70 degrees, wake up at 6am, Miami will have that too
Yup, its all lifestyle. I'll take the upper 80's/90's for a beach day; its nice having to wear shorts only. Having to wear long sleeves/parka/wetsuit is not my idea of a beach day, but to each their own. Thats why when i lived in SD, i preferred to mountain bike.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:28 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,152,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hahahaha the last thing you want to do is talk about produce.
Haha why not? Yes California grows more fruits overall, but you're also bigger. 3 Florida's can fit into 1 California. Not to mention Florida is also denser (re people), and has less empty lands for farms. Still I'm pretty sure if you tripled Florida's yields to get rid of the land difference, output would be similar if not bigger.

But important thing is Florida grows some produce California cannot grow like Coconuts, Bananas, etc. Whereas everything on your list, Florida can grow and does, somewhere.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Yup, its all lifestyle. I'll take the upper 80's/90's for a beach day; its nice having to wear shorts only. Having to wear long sleeves/parka/wetsuit is not my idea of a beach day, but to each their own. Thats why when i lived in SD, i preferred to mountain bike.
When I lived in San Diego beaches were about bonfires, surfing (ofc in a wet suit so the colder waters didn't matter so much), and ofc hiking. However just pure laying out on the beach to relax and get sun was done maybe July/August/September and then a few random days of the year when we got some random hot weather.

But water could be cold year round, there were years I never really swam.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Haha why not? Yes California grows more fruits overall, but you're also bigger. 3 Florida's can fit into 1 California. Not to mention Florida is also denser (re people), and has less empty lands for farms. Still I'm pretty sure if you tripled Florida's yields to get rid of the land difference, output would be similar if not bigger.

But important thing is Florida grows some produce California cannot grow like Coconuts, Bananas, etc. Whereas everything on your list, Florida can grow and does, somewhere.
Hahaha

California produces more than entire I-95 from New Jersey to the Miami.
States That Produce The Most Food (Ranking 1 to 50)

You feed niche groups of people, we feed the entire nation. Thanks for the OJ tho.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hahaha

California produces more than entire I-95 from New Jersey to the Miami.
States That Produce The Most Food (Ranking 1 to 50)

You feed niche groups of people, we feed the entire nation. Thanks for the OJ tho.
#2, and not to far from California's yield is Iowa.

#4 Nebraska.
#5 Illinois.
#6 Minnesota.

It must be their wonderful weather too that allows them to have such bounties

Old 02-12-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
#2, and not to far from California's yield is Iowa.

#4 Nebraska.
#5 Illinois.
#6 Minnesota.

It must be their wonderful weather too that allows them to have such bounties
Yes, they all produce more than Florida. Bon Appetit.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Quote:
The 28 degree mark was hit on the far western side of Miami, which is far removed from the moderating ocean temperatures. Miami Beach on the other hand never saw even a 32 winter day. It never saw even a freeze or snow. Look it up, it's a well known fact. Other than Miami Beach, the Florida Keys, only Hawaii is also known for this.

Now take this 28 degrees, which was recorded at MIA, basically in the everglades and compare to SFV Canoga Park, which saw 18. And you get the picture, you're 10 degrees colder with your record lows as well.
Canoga Park? Out of all the areas in Los Angeles, and you pick one at almost 1,000 feet elevation and blocked from ocean influence by the Santa Monica mountains. Wow, you're fishing.

Anyway, if you're gonna argue micro climates then SaMo, which is just over the mountain from Canoga Park, has never seen a freeze either, and that weather station is at Santa Monica Municipal Airport, where the record low was 33F back in 1952.

Don't even get me started on how much colder the record lows get the more north you travel into Florida. Port St. Lucie, which is still a lower latitude than Tampa, has record lows down to the low 20's. Something a lot of Coastal SoCal has NEVER seen.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Canoga Park? Out of all the areas in Los Angeles, and you pick one at almost 1,000 feet elevation and blocked from ocean influence by the Santa Monica mountains. Wow, you're fishing.
Same thing with you doing a sparsely inhabited fringe area of Miami basically in a backwater swamp. At least SFV has 1 million + people and is part of the official Los Angeles area.

Quote:
Anyway, if you're gonna argue micro climates then SaMo, which is just over the mountain from Canoga Park, has never seen a freeze either, and that weather station is at Santa Monica Municipal Airport, where the record low was 33F back in 1952.
Compare Santa Monica to Miami Beach :

Quote:
Other than the Florida Keys (and Key West), Miami Beach is the only U.S. city (mainland) to never report snow flurries in its weather history.
Miami Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's run that a bit, no mention of Santa Monica, no mention of any other US city on the mainland.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:43 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Quote:

Hahahaha. So your comparison would only work if ALL of CA was agricultural land, which it is not. Florida is actually half the size of CA but the large majority of agricultural products in CA come from the central Valley, which is only about a third of the size of FL, so nice try. And yes, California can grow banana's, many of my neighbors have banana trees in their yards, many with copious amounts of fruit.

Btw, Florida Avocados look and taste like under-ripened CA Hass varieties. The meat of the FL variety is actually pretty tough, whereas the CA varieties are the more popular due to their buttery texture. Plus, they make the best guacamole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City