Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Los Angeles 33 31.43%
San Diego 17 16.19%
San Francisco 38 36.19%
A City in Florida 17 16.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:35 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
All that says is that SaMo got hail. So??? Florida has hail in it's warmest months. It is a result of T-storms. This article, however, is a great representation of how a city with varied topography can see major differences in weather. It also only states that the areas that saw snow were in the higher elevations of the foothills and SaMo mountains, nothing at sea level. I'm very sorry you can't comprehend these differences, being at mostly 10 to 15 feet above sea level wherever you are in FL. Plus, I actually do remember that day, it still made it to 66 degrees regardless of the freakishly cold temps (Oh no! low to mid 30's for a couple hours!!!).
It wasn't hail but sleet which is a winter form of precipitation and struck places like Santa Monica, Venice, and Westwood. It mentioned the snow line fell below 1,000 feet, which means whole swaths of Los Angeles were dusted in snow.

Now just because you are not dusted in snow doesn't mean snow didn't fall. I wouldn't be too sure snow wasn't mixed into that wintry precipitation. Now there must be a reason Santa Monica isn't included with Key West and Miami Beach as the only 2 US mainland cities to never even see a snow flurry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 12:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
It wasn't hail but sleet which is a winter form of precipitation and struck places like Santa Monica, Venice, and Westwood. It mentioned the snow line fell below 1,000 feet, which means whole swaths of Los Angeles were dusted in snow.

Now just because you are not dusted in snow doesn't mean snow didn't fall. I wouldn't be too sure snow wasn't mixed into that wintry precipitation. Now there must be a reason Santa Monica isn't included with Key West and Miami Beach as the only 2 US mainland cities to never even see a snow flurry?
My friend lives in Trabuco Canyon and had snow this past December. Actual accumulations (minor) but enough for kids to break out the sleds and rip up the grass beneath

Old 02-12-2015, 12:39 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Quote:

The most populated areas of Los Angeles are nowhere near the 1,000 foot mark, let alone even 250 feet above sea level, so no, large swaths were not covered in snow. Plus, read the article again. No mention of sleet anywhere, it clearly says hail multiple times. Again, you are nitpicking.

I honestly can't tell if you are just making the rest up or you truly have no concept of how the city's layout and topography work.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
My friend lives in Trabuco Canyon and had snow this past December. Actual accumulations (minor) but enough for kids to break out the sleds and rip up the grass beneath
Yes I remember that. But Trabuco Canyon is far inland OC and is a very tiny community in the foothills at higher elevations.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
The most populated areas of Los Angeles are nowhere near the 1,000 foot mark, let alone even 250 feet above sea level, so no, large swaths were not covered in snow. Plus, read the article again. No mention of sleet anywhere, it clearly says hail multiple times. Again, you are nitpicking.

I honestly can't tell if you are just making the rest up or you truly have no concept of how the city's layout and topography work.
It said the snow line fell below 1,000 feet and the entire SFV was dusted in snow. Not that snow only went to 1,000 feet or higher lol.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
It said the snow line fell below 1,000 feet and the entire SFV was dusted in snow. Not that snow only went to 1,000 feet or higher lol.
The SFV is anywhere from 600ft above sea level to 1,200 feet above sea level. Although rare, it's not unheard of for them to get colder than the rest of SoCal due to elevation and the mountains blocking most of the oceans influence. That is exactly what my last point was about. You can't use that logic to generalize a whole area especially when "averages" vary widely in short distances and elevations. So thank you for proving my point. Lol

Old 02-12-2015, 12:54 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
I feel like this thread has not only gone off track, but veered into a ditch and exploded in a giant fireball.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
The SFV is anywhere from 600ft above sea level to 1,200 feet above sea level. Although rare, it's not unheard of for them to get colder than the rest of SoCal due to elevation and the mountains blocking most of the oceans influence. That is exactly what my last point was about. You can't use that logic to generalize a whole area especially when "averages" vary widely in short distances and elevations. So thank you for proving my point. Lol
There are 1.77 million people in the valley, let's just say that if the valley is dusted in snow, half of everyone living in Los Angeles is dusted in snow. Keep trying to pass the SFV as some isolated area, when it contains almost half of all people in Los Angeles.

Now, the other half got wintry precipitation: ice, snow, sleet, you name it. Continue to deny it, for some reason, I don't know.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:00 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,471,837 times
Quote:
It doesn't even matter. Miami is having a cold winter, Los Angeles is having a record breaking warm winter. And we're still having a warmer winter. Once this couple days of 80-something degrees pass, I noticed on your forecast your back to 60s with lows in the 40s.

So far in Miami Beach, we haven't seen 40 degrees yet. We did some flirting with the lower 50s, and that is somewhat rare, usually when we get some cold air we are mid 50s.
Miami is having a warmer than average winter as well, and our forecast will still be in the 70s by next week with lows in 50s

Old 02-12-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Miami is having a warmer than average winter as well, and our forecast will still be in the 70s by next week with lows in 50s
No Miami is having a colder than average winter. It's very rare in Miami to see 70/50 kind of temperatures. It's because the east coast is being hammered, those cold fronts are effect us too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City