Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will be the primary megaregion of the US in 2050?
Boswash 161 63.89%
SanSan 19 7.54%
Texas Triangle 35 13.89%
Great Lakes 16 6.35%
Other 21 8.33%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:00 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times

Advertisements

From Wikicommons:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Megalopolis.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 08:11 AM

226 posts, read 249,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Just a little of perspective here, this thread is about "Mega Regions" of the U.S., and by the looks of it, none of them are created equally to the "Northeast" mega region.

The entire state of Florida is 19.8 million and still not as many people as NYC CSA alone.

It would take another 100 + years of people moving from the cold to warmth, to catch the Northeast "mega region" of just VA to NY (about 40-45 million), and that's not even including New England.

I've lived in the I-4 corridor before and there's growth there, but not even enough to make a top 3 mega region.

I'm graduate trained Urban Planning guy albeit I don't practice. I'm submitting that there seems to be more of decentralization going on for the future...with satellite cities growing around larger hubs...that's why I suggesting the melding and convergence of places like Orlando/Tampa (I4 corridor) especially. I would also submit the Houston-Austin corridor for the future - not next week.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:40 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
I'm graduate trained Urban Planning guy albeit I don't practice. I'm submitting that there seems to be more of decentralization going on for the future...with satellite cities growing around larger hubs...that's why I suggesting the melding and convergence of places like Orlando/Tampa (I4 corridor) especially. I would also submit the Houston-Austin corridor for the future - not next week.
I fully agree with all of that. My only point was comparing either of them to the Northeast mega region population wise makes little sense. It would take closer to 200 years for those areas you mentioned to have 45-50 million people.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:48 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Maybe it should be New York-Wash or Hart-Wash. Cause there is definitely a break between Worcester and Hartford/Springfield. And I'm a Northeast homer.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:00 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Maybe it should be New York-Wash or Hart-Wash. Cause there is definitely a break between Worcester and Hartford/Springfield. And I'm a Northeast homer.
True, and actually when really zooming in, you can even notice going southwards the gap between Richmond and DC is smaller than the gap between Hartford and Worcester or Boston area.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:08 PM

313 posts, read 336,836 times
Boston/ Washington Amtrak Corridor is a total monster when you consider that it contains the worlds political capital , the worlds financial capital and with 7 of the top 10 universities in the U.S. and 4 of the top 10 Bio science hubs . It really is an amazing 390 miles .

Last edited by kingtutaaa; 04-23-2017 at 11:44 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 12:35 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Northeast isn't going nowhere. Texas may be growing and its unlikely to slow down any time soon, but there's no way just the eastern half of the state is gonna have more people than the multistate densely populated Northeast. You'd have to combine the whole south if you wanna compare, not just Texas.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:04 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
Could you imagine continuous, uninterrupted urban and suburban development running ALL THE WAY DOWN the East Coast, from Boston to Atlanta? That would be insane.
The South is the hold up. We already have continuous development going down to DC. If we could connect DC with Hampton Roads things would start to get interesting.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:46 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Also 150 miles of Orlando should have the majority of Florida within Its radius. I applied the Tool to Benin City, Nigeria and got a population of 42 million people but if you shift it 10-20 miles west it is probably more.. Nagoya and Guangzhou probably have the most within 150 miles than any other city though.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 04-24-2017 at 05:56 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 03:36 PM

226 posts, read 249,211 times
What I'm suggesting is that the 'next' mega area will not supplant the NE at all, but what I'm suggesting is that numbers of people aren't the only metric - population is significant for sure, but there are a myriad of other social, filial and economic factors to consider for the future. The pace of attraction to Texas and Florida is stunning to say the least. Years and years ago I would have suggested that the Atlanta-Birmingham-Nashville corridor would be in the running, but both Atlanta and now Nashville are still front runners, but the lynch-pin, i.e. Birmingham, did not hold its own in pace, attitude and growth. Years and years ago, I bet on this region, and the only area to actually win "on time" was and is Greater Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City