Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you Prefer?
Tampa Bay Area 21 26.92%
San Diego Metro 58 74.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:53 PM

148 posts, read 228,372 times

Advertisements

Id rather see the Kings and Ducks than the Lightning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 12:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
San Diego is the big winner on every level except cost of living and I would lose to live in Tampa over SD. San Diego is not affordable for the average guy unless you are a Doctor and lawyer or CEO. I couldn't live in SD without a 200k a year salary, you can live well in Tampa on 60-80k a year.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:45 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,174,820 times
Not on every level...

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/tripadv...316250767.html

3 local TB beaches in the top 10.. also as I said before, for a city of 1.3 million people SD has a short skyline(Tampa has 4 buildings taller than One America Plaza.. for a city of only 347K people, it does better in that respect).

Old 02-18-2015, 03:59 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Not on every level...

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/tripadv...316250767.html

3 local TB beaches in the top 10.. also as I said before, for a city of 1.3 million people SD has a short skyline(Tampa has 4 buildings taller than One America Plaza.. for a city of only 347K people, it does better in that respect).
Great beaches are subjective. And tall buildings mean nothing. It's about the density and street level activity. Not saying Tampa Bay doesn't have those things, but If you're going to compare them, don't use the height of the buildings as a criteria. With that being said, San Diego has a height restriction of 500' due to the airports proximity to downtown.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:15 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Do you have any statistical proof of that? Because that hasn't been my experience in the real world. Maybe it's just a dream that I have friends working for Novartis or Scripps Research.
No. Just my co-workers, all of whom live there (I work remotely from there).

For every Novartis, Scripps, Biovia, Genoptix, etc job, there are 20 in hotels, restaurants and retail.

Again, it is not the norm to have multiple roommates into your 40's and 50's - except in urban California.

This is not a knock on San Diego, I love the place and am constantly bothering my boss to bring me out more often. But, it is the reality of life there for most.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:40 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No. Just my co-workers, all of whom live there (I work remotely from there).

For every Novartis, Scripps, Biovia, Genoptix, etc job, there are 20 in hotels, restaurants and retail.

Again, it is not the norm to have multiple roommates into your 40's and 50's - except in urban California.

This is not a knock on San Diego, I love the place and am constantly bothering my boss to bring me out more often. But, it is the reality of life there for most.
But you said there was a "brain drain" for young people. Do you have any statistical proof of that?

FWIW, I live in urban California, am 25, and live alone. And no, I don't come from money. I also don't know very many people in their 40s and 50s who have roommates, and a lot of people I know are immigrants. Unless you count their families as "roomates"

Old 02-18-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
But you said there was a "brain drain" for young people. Do you have any statistical proof of that?

FWIW, I live in urban California, am 25, and live alone. And no, I don't come from money. I also don't know very many people in their 40s and 50s who have roommates, and a lot of people I know are immigrants. Unless you count their families as "roomates"
Again, just what I am constantly told by my co-workers.

And, how nice for you. So what part of San Diego are you in being fortunate enough to have your own place?

And of course immigrants can be counted as roommates. Don't they routinely pool their money? It's the same thing.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Again, just what I am constantly told by my co-workers.
So you have no source of this brain drain, even though it's something that can be easily measured. Just admit that you didn't really have a point with this.

Quote:
And, how nice for you. So what part of San Diego are you in being fortunate enough to have your own place?
I live in Central LA. You said "urban California", and considering I live in probably one of the densest zip codes in all of the state, I think that would qualify.

However, a decent chunk of my friends work in San Diego as professionals, and they can afford their own places. A lot live in Downtown San Diego, some live on Pacific Beach, some live in La Jolla near UCSD.

Quote:
And of course immigrants can be counted as roommates. Don't they routinely pool their money? It's the same thing.
So if I have a kid, will they be my rooomate?

Old 02-18-2015, 11:32 PM

^I refuse to get in a tit for tat pissing match with you. I am very happy for you that at 25 you can afford your own place in 'Central L.A.'

As I mentioned twice now, I happen to love San Diego. I also love L.A., as some of my best friends live there.

The bottom line is that the cost of living is beyond insane, and for you to deny that LOT'S of young people are forced to leave because of it tells me you are in denial. Everyone there knows this as a simple fact of life.

And as far as having your own place in 'Central L.A,' I would venture to guess that most people reading this thread would have a bit of hesitation with that. You're young, and I get it. I lived in pre-gentrified Brooklyn when I was your age, for practically nothing. Many however are way past the urban pioneer stage, and want a neighborhood where we can walk the dog at Midnight.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:34 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,174,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Great beaches are subjective. And tall buildings mean nothing. It's about the density and street level activity. Not saying Tampa Bay doesn't have those things, but If you're going to compare them, don't use the height of the buildings as a criteria. With that being said, San Diego has a height restriction of 500' due to the airports proximity to downtown.
DT Tampa has a height restriction too, sandwiched by 3 airports, plus there's no solid terrain to build highrises on (no matter where you dig here you find sand, not bedrock).

If you want street level activity, St Pete has that(remember this was a SD vs TB comparison). Sarasota is a cultural center. Clearwater Beach caters to tourists. So this area pretty much has everything SD offers, except it's spread out which is the main reason people downplay this area. Plus you have theme parks in ORL, only 60-70 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City