Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like overall?
Montreal, QC 51 58.62%
Miami, FL 36 41.38%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:55 AM

72 posts, read 69,116 times

Advertisements

Food/Culture/History:
Urban:
Universities:
Nightlife/Entertainment:
Shopping:
Safety:
Cost of living:
Economy/Career diversity:
Buildings:
Beauty:
Language (English/French VS. English/Spanish):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:53 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,198 times
The only thing Miami wins on is winter weather and beach. Montreal on everything else.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
The only thing Miami wins on is winter weather and beach. Montreal on everything else.
I don't think Montreal beats us on our nightlife either. Or shopping. We have so many high end boutiques here because we're a mega tourist destination 24/7 and 365 days a year. I cannot imagine much if any tourists coming to Montreal for half of their year. I certainly wouldn't. I would love to visit in the summer though. Maybe this year.

COL, no idea, but I imagine Miami is cheaper. We have less taxes (no state income tax - though we get taxed up the ass on sales, and all those tourists renting cars gauge our gas prices). Miami west of the 95 is very poor, more so than people realize. When I stayed in little Haiti, as I was looking for my place in Miami Beach, I could buy a giant Cuban sandwich with fresh bread for 3$. In theory you could eat two of those and be overly full for the entire day for just 6$. And that's just eating out, obviously we also have cheap produce and fruits.

Beauty I would give to Miami in a heartbeat, our beaches and lush tropical fauna and flora. I have coconut palms outside my window.

Food/Culture can be debated. Do you prefer latino-Caribbean food? Or do you prefer Canadian-French fusion of cuisine.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:23 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,413,542 times
Montreal. I just prefer the culture there.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:56 AM

676 posts, read 960,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I don't think Montreal beats us on our nightlife either. Or shopping. We have so many high end boutiques here because we're a mega tourist destination 24/7 and 365 days a year. I cannot imagine much if any tourists coming to Montreal for half of their year. I certainly wouldn't. I would love to visit in the summer though. Maybe this year.
I think you're underestimating Montreal's nightlife

The tourists certainly diminish in the winter, but they do come!

Old 02-10-2015, 11:10 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Good lord what a hot take. Did you read criteria?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
I think you're underestimating Montreal's nightlife

The tourists certainly diminish in the winter, but they do come!
Maybe, like I said somewhere else, never been to Montreal. I also never heard of it being a party place like I've heard for some other cities I never been to like Ibiza, Macau, and Bali.

But still, can it really top Miami? We have some mega night clubs, some night clubs on the beach, some big festivals (Ultra is coming soon), as well as a plethora of lounges, bars and pubs.

Quite frankly it's tiresome sometimes living here. Just going for groceries I'm walking past bars, clubs full of drunk partiers (most of them tourists) on a weekday at 3am in the morning. Can Montreal sustain that intensity?

If it does in the summer, which I doubt for whatever reason, it probably won't the other times of the year.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:33 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,099 times
Quote:
Maybe, like I said somewhere else, never been to Montreal. I also never heard of it being a party place like I've heard for some other cities I never been to like Ibiza, Macau, and Bali.

But still, can it really top Miami? We have some mega night clubs, some night clubs on the beach, some big festivals (Ultra is coming soon), as well as a plethora of lounges, bars and pubs.

Quite frankly it's tiresome sometimes living here. Just going for groceries I'm walking past bars, clubs full of drunk partiers (most of them tourists) on a weekday at 3am in the morning. Can Montreal sustain that intensity?

If it does in the summer, which I doubt for whatever reason
, it probably won't the other times of the year.
Yep, it does sustain that intensity. Drinking age at 18 (and frankly 15-year old kids could even get by as nobody ever bothers to check). Alcohol last call at 3 am, with the city pushing a pilot project to extend that to 6 AM.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Yep, it does sustain that intensity. Drinking age at 18 (and frankly 15-year old kids could even get by as nobody ever bothers to check). Alcohol last call at 3 am, with the city pushing a pilot project to extend that to 6 AM.
Late call in Miami Beach is 5am. 3am was my just random example.

Late call in the rest of Miami-Dade can be non-existent and there are some mega clubs that don't close.

I guess a drinking age of 18 probably attracts a lot of Americans.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:37 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,110,810 times
Quote:

If it does in the summer, which I doubt for whatever reason, it probably won't the other times of the year.
Montreal has Ingloofest in the winter. 4 weekends in January and February.

Igloofest 2015

Then of course Mutek in June.

Believe me, Montreal parties. It rivals any US city IMO. NYC included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City