U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer New York City or the Los Angeles area?
New York City 129 70.49%
Los Angeles 54 29.51%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 PM

30 posts, read 114,585 times

Advertisements

NYNY1, now now..."LA is pretty???? Ew."
Of course there are ugly areas there...that's to be said about any city. I didn't mean those parts! I meant the nice areas of course.
Some people are NYC Manmade building people, I respect that, it's just the natural beauty thing that does it for me. I know plenty of NJ/NY folks that couldn't care less about it, but I love it.

Those pictures are nice Fleet. We have the beach too (here in NJ) but the part that sells me more on your coast is the view of the mountains. Breathtaking! Driving along that coastal highway (1? Sorry, I'm bad with those things)...with the mountains on one side, and the beach on the other...now that was just surreal. Like nothing you could ever see over here.

Jessemh431, excellent picture comparison of the coasts. It really is different, especially in person!!
Rate this post positively

Old 01-16-2008, 10:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 15,805,568 times
I think it is actually PCH, which serves as Highway 1 and 101. I think I'm wrong too though.

It follows this path

And what about Catalina Island?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:02 PM

23,694 posts, read 30,249,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaSpellman View Post
Those pictures are nice Fleet. We have the beach too (here in NJ) but the part that sells me more on your coast is the view of the mountains. Breathtaking! Driving along that coastal highway (1? Sorry, I'm bad with those things)...with the mountains on one side, and the beach on the other...now that was just surreal. Like nothing you could ever see over here.
Yes, the mountains inland from beach are an added bonus.
And, yes, it is highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway). There are, of course, many hiking trails in those mountains and the view of the ocean from the ridges are excellent.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:16 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,050,900 times
  • re SilkCity0416:
L.A. in the same character department as NY? Really? Really really? Yes! I'm from L. A., and my response just now had more character than your entire post! (..which wasn't entered correctly, forcing me to do what Americans usually have to do; clean up after NY's mess..) Euro having no character? Euro made a simplified generalization that NY, and NY alone had character in this country! Subjectively idiotic thing to say; concur? Yes, you really have a much more diverse plan on your hands concerning the types of things to do in the L. A. area, that's fact. Jones Beach! That's where all the needles are, right? Ny has the largest city population by far. Yes, that's called "Being trapped in a shoebox apartment with an A/C unit by your Hibatchi." 70 degrees all year long...snore? You only wish you had one of the major factors going for you that enables L. A. to offer up the kind of variety in activity not found, I'd say, just about anywhere else in this world! By the way, when you pick a derelict carny lot in favor of a park that is so popular it registers as one of the most visited 'cities' in America on its own, with one of the most powerful cultures known to man, you show that you don't know character! This same company this last year threw NY a major bone by infusing said culture into 'Enchanted', a little flick you may have heard of. Or not. (Disney was birthed in Los Angeles) What's the port of Los Angeles/Long Beach? America's only world class superport. It is sad, by the way, that an area that has 16 million vehicles using its freeway net every workday actually has to. That's gonna change. Still, I love the freedom of my car, even in traffic! 46 million toured the NY area in 2006 (wiredNewYork), 58.6 million in the Los Angeles area for the same year! (I think I trust Forbes a little more than a NY promotional product..) No, New York is not the world capital, the United Nations is a corrupt organization that has no power and is international ground aside from the city or country for that matter, and Los Angeles has more direct international influence though Hollywood anyway. New York is not a representative of America as a whole, is not a primate city and is not a flagship city either! It's the financial and performance culture capital of the nation, and shouldn't push to be things that it is not. Otherwise, it will look desperate and ridiculous. Also, reporting the news does not make you the capital of 'news', as newsworthy events happen everywhere and not just in NY. You're great, but you're not getting much greater than you already are now. You've topped out, so enjoy it. (note: The country was more than glad to help after the pathetic events of 9/11, but the resurgence of NY is mostly due to the 22.6 billion from congress. Imagine where NY would be right now had they been successful in accumulating that hidden 'backdoor' amount of 87 billion!)

Old 01-17-2008, 03:39 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,050,900 times
The airports in the L. A. area are mostly run by LAWA (Los Angeles World Airports) and include Jimmy Stewart (L A X) and a possible future Palmdale. L A X handles about as much traffic as NY's two airports (La Guardia and J F K) combined. Los Angeles is actually the world's most crowded airspace as there are more smaller craft than NY, Van Nuys being the major source for that. Other airports in the area are Long Beach, Bob Hope, John Wayne and LA/Ontario

Old 01-17-2008, 09:03 AM

30 posts, read 114,585 times
beautiful pics Jessemh431.

Thanks for the confirmation on what the road is called fleet lol, I can be an airhead sometimes.

Do tell, do people actually commute on this road every day to work from some areas, or are you just stuck on the other nightmare highways? That is something I have always wondered.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:42 PM

307 posts, read 1,347,842 times
Question: Which beaches contain warmer water? Los Angeles area, or New York Area. (*Long Island, Brooklyn)

When I went to Brooklyn I stepped into the water which seemed to be slightly warmer then L.A waters (Talking about SUMMER only)

So which water is warmer during the summer? l.a region or n.y region? (the oceans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Los Angeles has more direct international influence though Hollywood anyway.

Is that a good thing the influence of hollywood is just manipulation through the media.

Last edited by Beliy Plashik; 01-17-2008 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 02:39 PM

2,775 posts, read 11,069,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
Question: Which beaches contain warmer water? Los Angeles area, or New York Area. (*Long Island, Brooklyn)

When I went to Brooklyn I stepped into the water which seemed to be slightly warmer then L.A waters (Talking about SUMMER only)

So which water is warmer during the summer? l.a region or n.y region? (the oceans)
New York due to the warm water current that flows from the South Atlantic, Florida, and the Carribean. California has a cold water current that flows from Alaska and the Pacific Northwest.

Quote:
Is that a good thing the influence of hollywood is just manipulation through the media.
Hollywood is hardly an influence anymore. It influences pop culture kids, but leaves rap fans, the most popular music genre among the future generations, with nothing. Atlanta, New York, Miami, and New Orleans are pretty much the trend setters nowadays... Soulja Boy Tell Em, DJ Khaled, Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, G-Unit, Dipset, T-Pain, etc. Even pop culture is turning into nothing now. The 1990s are over. And over 70% of the music on records are recorded in New York City, especially rap/hip hop and R & B. But where it's recorded doesn't really mean that much to me. Rap is not about where it's recorded, it's where the talent and influence is... And that is the ATL, MIA, NYC, and NO.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:38 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,521,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
but leaves rap fans, the most popular music genre among the future generations, with nothing. Atlanta, New York, Miami, and New Orleans are pretty much the trend setters nowadays... Soulja Boy Tell Em, DJ Khaled, Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, G-Unit, Dipset, T-Pain, etc. Even pop culture is turning into nothing now. The 1990s are over. And over 70% of the music on records are recorded in New York City, especially rap/hip hop and R & B. But where it's recorded doesn't really mean that much to me. Rap is not about where it's recorded, it's where the talent and influence is... And that is the ATL, MIA, NYC, and NO.
The reason all the hip-hop comes from those cities is that out west people actually have good taste in music. I'm not talking about pop either. Fortunatley hip-hop or rap or whatever it is will got the way disco, just give it soem time.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:41 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,978,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
The reason all the hip-hop comes from those cities is that out west people actually have good taste in music. I'm not talking about pop either. Fortunatley hip-hop or rap or whatever it is will got the way disco, just give it soem time.
No, it is mostly the crap from Atlanta that is blowing up in the airwaves. And no, people from LA and the West bang the same music. I don't even listen to the radio for my music. I use my Ipod in my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.