U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer New York City or the Los Angeles area?
New York City 129 70.49%
Los Angeles 54 29.51%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 PM

307 posts, read 1,355,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
The reason all the hip-hop comes from those cities is that out west people actually have good taste in music. I'm not talking about pop either. Fortunatley hip-hop or rap or whatever it is will got the way disco, just give it soem time.

Pop music pretty much dominates in the west actually.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,076,885 times
I listen to what used to be called "Top 40" and I've noticed that most of it now is, sadly, some sort of mix of Hip-Hop, Rap, a current version of R&B ballad making, and stuff like what Timbaland, Jay-Z and their prote'ge's are coming out with. I hear less rap these days. Especially west coast; Snoop is doing things like "Sensual seduction", which is more easy than anything I've ever heard from him before. I listen to 102.7 KIIS FM, which is the most influential station in the most competitive market in the world. I HAVE to listen to moniter it for my 10 year old neice. "Call before you come so I can shave my cha-cha?" If that represents the kind of crap listened to today, I'm overjoyed I grew up when I did. (Late 70's early 80's) You can have that influence. As for Hollywood, the locale and industry not being influential anymore, you live in a cave if you want. A cave of denial.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:41 PM

And who wants to jump into warm ocean water in the summertime? The same types who "need their seasons?" You kinda want to cool off in the heat, right?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Ahhh, the Westside! And there's Beverly Hills High School, over there toward the left. You can tell by the gray colored encased oil tower on its site. How many high schools in rooty-tooty suburbs of NY are you gonna find situated in a beautiful urban setting such as this- all the while pumping their own oil? None from Flickr bkh 5858

Old 01-17-2008, 10:29 PM

I can smell the ocean from here....what smog? bkh5858 on Flickr

Old 01-17-2008, 10:31 PM

8,256 posts, read 16,091,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I listen to what used to be called "Top 40" and I've noticed that most of it now is, sadly, some sort of mix of Hip-Hop, Rap, a current version of R&B ballad making, and stuff like what Timbaland, Jay-Z and their prote'ge's are coming out with. I hear less rap these days. Especially west coast; Snoop is doing things like "Sensual seduction", which is more easy than anything I've ever heard from him before. I listen to 102.7 KIIS FM, which is the most influential station in the most competitive market in the world. I HAVE to listen to moniter it for my 10 year old neice. "Call before you come so I can shave my cha-cha?" If that represents the kind of crap listened to today, I'm overjoyed I grew up when I did. (Late 70's early 80's) You can have that influence. As for Hollywood, the locale and industry not being influential anymore, you live in a cave if you want. A cave of denial.
I listen to 102.7 for enjoyment. As well as 105.9, 106.7, 93.1,93.5,96.3,93.9, and 99.1.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 PM

23,774 posts, read 30,735,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slrmclaren View Post
You can do more things in LA than you can do in Los Angeles? Are you drugged? First of all, New York has everything Los Angeles has X 20. Los Angeles is so laid back, boring and dull. Go to the mountains? Tell me, how many Angelenos do you know that actually go to the mountain? I'm guessing none.
Oh, believe me... a lot of Angelenos go to the mountains. Myself and a few friends drive into the San Gabriel Mountains (the Angeles National Forest) quite a few times during the year. On the weekends, the picnic and camping areas can be quite busy. And we made the mistake of once going on a holiday weekend (I think it was Labor Day) and the parking lot of two areas we frequent were full! We drove further into the mountains and found another area with less people. It would take weeks of driving around to find all of the areas you can park at and that has benches to enjoy the scenery. And there is plenty of that... scenery... no where near "boring" or "dull."

It's also fun to drive up there during the winter and enjoy looking at the snow on the upper mountain ridges.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 PM

2,775 posts, read 11,139,845 times
Milquetoast, I don't want the scenery. That's why I head into the Adirondacks or up the Hudson Valley or into New England. I'm in the New York City area for the culture, the liveliness, the sheer density and excitement of it all. THAT is something that is found only in New York.

Scenery here is beautiful anyway. I don't care if California has "better" scenery. Either way, we do have great scenery in New York that only people who have been here actually know something about. Here are some photos of New York State.

"Boring" New York State...
Image from http://dev.iloveny.com/_images_content/ezine/LARGE/large_MirrorLk-Lake%20Placid(GreatDrives-FallRoadAdirondacks).jpg (broken link)

Althoug it's a painting, it's real. Ity's Bear Mountain in the Hudson RIver Valley. Now there's a bridge called Bear Mountain Bridge there and it looks like it just runs into the side of the mountain.
Imge from http://www.hawthornefineart.com/images/inventory/hudson/rondel_autumn.jpg (broken link)
http://www.hawthornefineart.com/images/inventory/hudson/rondel_autumn.jpg (broken link)

Image from http://www.railtravelcenter.com/images/Bear-Mountain-Bridge-Autumn.jpg (broken link)
http://www.railtravelcenter.com/images/Bear-Mountain-Bridge-Autumn.jpg (broken link)

And quite frankly, I don't care if you think the scenery sucks or not. Everybody else, I'm sure, will disagree.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:52 PM

2,775 posts, read 11,139,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
The reason all the hip-hop comes from those cities is that out west people actually have good taste in music. I'm not talking about pop either. Fortunatley hip-hop or rap or whatever it is will got the way disco, just give it soem time.
Yeah, no. People in LA are out partying to Soulja Boy's "Crank Dat" and Jim Jones "We Fly High" and Birdman & Lil' Wayne's "Pop Bottles" and DJ Khaled, Fat Joe, Lil' Wayne, etc.'s "We Takin' Over!" and more.

And rap/hip hop isn't going down, it's going up. I'm in high school... I know wht kids listen to and I listen to. I was cranking "Reppin' Time" by Jim Jones and Dipset on the way home from school today and "Side 2 Side" by Three 6 Mafia, too.

Last edited by Futcha; 01-18-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 02:50 PM

23,774 posts, read 30,735,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Milquetoast, I don't want the scenery. That's why I head into the Adirondacks or up the Hudson Valley or into New England. I'm in the New York City area for the culture, the liveliness, the sheer density and excitement of it all. THAT is something that is found only in New York.

Scenery here is beautiful anyway. I don't care if California has "better" scenery. Either way, we do have great scenery in New York that only people who have been here actually know something about. Here are some photos of New York State.
I think the point Milquetoast is making is that the mountain scenery is very close to Los Angeles... in the L.A. area. Even places like Big Bear Lake (elevation: 6,744 feet) are within a reasonable drive from L.A.

Quote:
And quite frankly, I don't care if you think the scenery sucks or not. Everybody else, I'm sure, will disagree
Those photos do show very nice scenery. Too bad you have to drive halfway across the state to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.