Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer New York City or the Los Angeles area?
New York City 129 70.49%
Los Angeles 54 29.51%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:08 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
After all that has been said about LA, this is probably the strongest so far, well said. One that that Los Angeles (and California for that matter) has over New York is that LA is pretty progressive from both a liberal and conservative point of view. Now, New York is progressive on some accounts, but NY does tend to favor old tradition above anything else.

I agree with what Milkycoast said too, that is very true.
New York City follows older traditions? That is false, NYC is strong in gay rights. (Same with L.A, and San Francisco) Which "Defies" old traditions.

There is a strong feminist movement which follows in NYC.
Feminism -- is something that has NOT been accepted into society a few decades back. NYC has strongly encouraged equality to a great degree, which defies the "Old traditional values" As people in NYC tend to be much more on the Liberal side.

South California -- is pretty much half and half...

Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Actually, LA County is majority liberal, while OC and SD Counties are conservative, and Ventura, San Bernardino, Riverside, and Santa Barbara are pretty mixed. But yes, I would say that NYC is probably more liberal than SoCal.

About the agriculture stuff, we have plants here that bloom only in the winter, while everything in NYC is dead or dying.

Greater Los Angeles also has farms, something you don't have in NYC.

LA, from what I notice, is usually more funky and hip with our style of pretty much everything. NYC has that "old", traditional, conservative (not politically speaking) feel.

And yeah, how did you come up with Sao Paulo? It's in a third world country.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,484 times
No, New York is groundbreaking in the areas of women's and gay rights. The Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire and the Gay right's parades are examples that pop into mind immediately. I said they more closely follow European standards in art and culture and milk that, to their creative detriment

Old 01-27-2008, 03:59 AM

Ahhh, beautiful snow! Today in L. A. (Don't believe it? Check the sign at left) Courtesy of sb.pix on Flickr

Last edited by milquetoast; 01-27-2008 at 04:10 AM..

Old 01-27-2008, 04:02 AM

Courtesy of sb.pix on Flickr

Old 01-27-2008, 04:09 AM

Cold snow and warm bugs! Courtesy of sb.pix on Flickr

Old 01-27-2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taty View Post
Four seasonal weather makes NYC look different each season.. During the winter, snowy, quiet, snow everywhere (Its mild enough not to get snowed in all the time)
You're right, Taty. 'Cept you were describing L. A. by the looks of it

Old 01-27-2008, 05:00 PM

58 posts, read 57,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I said they more closely follow European standards in art and culture and milk that, to their creative detriment
Yeah.. That is somewhere about right.
But think about this.. That is why NYC is a lot more preferred from all of the American Cities.
Yes Southern California is soo different from the rest of the country!! Perhaps that is why NYC is preferred more because it is more recognized by people and their back home culture?

NYC has a large european influence. Los Angeles has a stronger "Latino/Mexican culture" (about 50% of L.A region is Hispanic)
Many immigrants who have come from other countries have settled in NYC region when things where expanding throughout United States.
That is why NYC holds a strong presence towards earlier immigration, which is perhaps why it holds more of a "Symbol" in its entirety.
It just depends which type of "diversity" truly exists, as there are different type of diversity.

For example, NYC has more LARGER European Heritage the most, but some others.. German, Chinese, Haiti, Caribbean Islander, Japanese, Jamaican, Cuban, British, French, Irish, Italian, and Jewish,
Ukranian, Polish, Italian, Russian,AND JEWISH -- There are more PRESENT IN NYC, but these are the cultures/countries that pop-out in my head, when it comes to haritage.
There is def. a strong Russian,, Polish, Italian, Jewish, British, Irish presence the most.

L.A -- Armenian, Puerto Rican, Pacific Islander, Japanese, Chinese, Guatemalan, and many more,
A VERY strong Latino/Hispanic heritage.

there is just a different type of diversity in both places, I just wanted to point The large groups of different cultures.
So diversity is different each part of the coast. It can be represented differently.

Great Pix of L.A by the way. Beautiful I lived in Altadena 1/3 of my life

Last edited by Taty; 01-27-2008 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,871,801 times
For those of you that continue to bash L.A....Just a reminder that L.A was once just a small town,but look how quickly L.A caught up to NYC to become the 2nd Largest U.S City with the 2nd Largest Economy....L.A's leap is a huge accomplishment within a relatively short period of time.

NYC may have the top position for now,but the 21st Century belongs to L.A in my honest opinion.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,513 times
The reason that none of you will ever agree is because they are completely different cities. There is nothing wrong with that because we are all completely different people. Some prefer the NY lifestyle while other prefer the LA lifestyle.

I think NY is an AMAZING city. However, LA just seems to be more my style.

I currently live in Milwaukee, but will hopefully be living in LA within the next year.(I'm halfway through the hiring process with LAFD) Both cities are my dream cities to work for as a firefighter. One thing that they have in common is the fact that they both have the best fire departments in the world. FDNY gets a little more recognition because of 9/11. They do deserve it, but any firefighter would have went in those towers on that day. It's who we are.

My point is, they are both great cities. LA is better than NY in certain areas. NY is better than LA in certain areas.

Can't we all just get along? haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.