U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer New York City or the Los Angeles area?
New York City 129 70.49%
Los Angeles 54 29.51%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:53 PM

26 posts, read 75,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
And for all of you that say LA is too suburban, take out Manhattan and what do you have?...extremely low density housing. Greater LA is the most densely populated metropolitan area in America.
L.A. is more densly populated than Queens, Brooklyn, or the Bronx? Give me a break! The outer Boroughs are all attached row-houses, brownstones, and mid-rise co-op buildings... I didn't realize that I was living in suburbia. You need to visit NY before making an asinine statement like that...ever been to the outer Borughs? Probably not...

Here are your stats for density per sq. mile...
Manhattan-76,940 sq/mi
Brooklyn-34,916 sq/mi
Bronx-31,709 sq/mi
Queens-20,409 sq/mi
Staten Island-7,587
NYC Overall-27,083 sq/mi

City of LA-8,205 sq/mi

Lots of density in comparison right? 8 million people living on 303 square miles of land to 4 million living on 469 square miles. Hmm...
Rate this post positively

Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,054,175 times
USA Urbanized Areas: 2000 Ranked by Population(465 Areas)

Old 01-30-2008, 01:39 AM

10,292 posts, read 14,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im glad it doesnt have L.A.'s climate.

Id also go with NYC. Its just more of a city, which is what Im looking for. L.A. is too suburban-y for my tastes.
( LOL) Chi-Town L.A. Trumps Your Urban Mecca it is a 4 million People Populated City compared to a 2.8 Million City In Chicago...Los Angeles and Chicago and New York City have nothing in common...City with 7,000 foot mountains need to be spread out and horizonal (not) vertical cities like the two before mentioned cities. New York and Chicago are men made cities were as Los Angeles beauty is created by GOD , Mountain , Deserts , Forest ,Oceans , Valleys , Beaches, Beautiful People....

Old 01-30-2008, 02:38 PM

58 posts, read 51,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
( LOL) Chi-Town L.A. Trumps Your Urban Mecca it is a 4 million People Populated City compared to a 2.8 Million City In Chicago...Los Angeles and Chicago and New York City have nothing in common...City with 7,000 foot mountains need to be spread out and horizonal (not) vertical cities like the two before mentioned cities. New York and Chicago are men made cities were as Los Angeles beauty is created by GOD , Mountain , Deserts , Forest ,Oceans , Valleys , Beaches, Beautiful People....
SO Los Angeles is "beauty created by God" but all of the other places on Earth where created by something "else"? (Basically sounds like your saying that Lol)

What if you don't believe in God?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 73,905,313 times
Quote:
( LOL) Chi-Town L.A. Trumps Your Urban Mecca....
What on earth, er, where on earth is "Chi-Town L.A.???

Quote:
Los Angeles and Chicago and New York City have nothing in common...City with 7,000 foot mountains need to be spread out and horizonal (not) vertical cities like the two before mentioned cities.
I think I kinda understand what youre saying here, let me attempt to respond. Chicago and NYC have LOTS in common. Ill agree that L.A. doesnt have much in common with Chicago (not "Chi-Town") or NYC, and I prefer it that way. And regarding the mountains, wouldnt it make more sense for a city with mountains to build upward rather than outward? Its easier to build up on flat ground than up and over and around the mountains.

Quote:
( New York and Chicago are men made cities were as Los Angeles beauty is created by GOD , Mountain , Deserts , Forest ,Oceans , Valleys , Beaches, Beautiful People....
You mean "MAN-made"? And last I checked L.A. also has buildings, and um, homes and shopping centers too. Were those created by God too? Id also like to point out that Chicagoland has grass, prairies, trees, lakes, rivers, hills, beaches, and beautiful people too. Are those not created by God? I didnt know L.A. was the only city in the USA that has natural surroundings. LOL Oh man.

Oh, and you dont capitalize "mountain", "deserts", "forest", etc.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:57 PM

8,256 posts, read 16,108,747 times
Suck it NYC...and Chicago.

Hub Culture : Integrate. Elevate : - Home

Old 01-30-2008, 06:27 PM

196 posts, read 888,106 times
For some reason I find LA fascinating... It has a strange grittiness to it. Coming from the midwest, it's really weird for me to see houses with green lawns and palm trees literally tucked right next to freeway onramps and overpasses. Don't ask me why, it's just an image that's stuck in my head and I associate with LA. The whole car culture, sprawling single family homes, beach and mtns just give it this sort of unrealized idealist fantasy.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:34 PM

6 posts, read 12,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
For those of you that continue to bash L.A....Just a reminder that L.A was once just a small town,but look how quickly L.A caught up to NYC to become the 2nd Largest U.S City with the 2nd Largest Economy....L.A's leap is a huge accomplishment within a relatively short period of time.

NYC may have the top position for now,but the 21st Century belongs to L.A in my honest opinion.
Not really. I really have no opinion of Los Angeles, so I'm not sure if I'd qualify as an "LA-Basher" but the 21st, 22nd, 23rd century and so fourth belongs/will always belong to New York.

Yes, LA had it's grew to what it is in a relatively short period of time but New York is still growing bigger and faster than Los Angeles. Construction boom in New York is crazy (far ahead of LA's), the real estate prices continue to soar in the city while the rest of the country's plummet, New York still ads more people per year than Los Angeles.

I don't know why a handful of LA based posters have some sort of superiority complex with New York. Why can't you just be content with being #2 (or #3 if compared with Chicago, but that's another story)? Being a permanent #2 (or #3) to New York is still quite an accomplishment. We all know New York is better.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM

6,185 posts, read 10,545,036 times
Quote:
New York and Chicago are men made cities were as Los Angeles beauty is created by GOD , Mountain , Deserts , Forest ,Oceans , Valleys , Beaches, Beautiful People....
Lest ye forget, religious fundamentalism thrives in SoCal!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:23 AM

20,004 posts, read 73,905,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTBFIORANO View Post
Not really. I really have no opinion of Los Angeles, so I'm not sure if I'd qualify as an "LA-Basher" but the 21st, 22nd, 23rd century and so fourth belongs/will always belong to New York.

Yes, LA had it's grew to what it is in a relatively short period of time but New York is still growing bigger and faster than Los Angeles. Construction boom in New York is crazy (far ahead of LA's), the real estate prices continue to soar in the city while the rest of the country's plummet, New York still ads more people per year than Los Angeles.

I don't know why a handful of LA based posters have some sort of superiority complex with New York. Why can't you just be content with being #2 (or #3 if compared with Chicago, but that's another story)? Being a permanent #2 (or #3) to New York is still quite an accomplishment. We all know New York is better.
Sweet username! One of the best lookin Ferrari's this decade!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>