U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer New York City or the Los Angeles area?
New York City 129 70.49%
Los Angeles 54 29.51%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,287,756 times

Advertisements

NY over LA anyday.

There are no Mountains in LA or even in the East coast.

This is what you call a "mountain".
Rate this post positively

Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 PM

307 posts, read 1,347,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EURO FR View Post
Los Angeles is OK and all, but how can you compare it to New York? It's like a fact that NY is the biggest and greatest in your country!

New York is the most sophisticated and not to mention a city of character - something lacking with most/all American cities. New York is New York, the capital of the world. Honestly, Los Angeles isn't even on the same level.

I totally agree with you, I mean yes L.A and N.Y two of the biggest cities in the country. But L.A is kind of hard to compare to New York City (Sorry)

There are other cities who have character. San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, and N.Y are probably the most with character. in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM

302 posts, read 901,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
That looks like a mountain. I'm not sure ..hmmmm....
Sorry, while I MUCH prefer NYC to LA, those are most definitely mountains. Why do you people find any reason to slam LA? It's ridiculous.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:33 PM

23,691 posts, read 30,226,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
NY over LA anyday.

There are no Mountains in LA or even in the East coast.

This is what you call a "mountain".
Try climbing one of those "no mountains" in LA and you will change your mind.

Also, during some of the stronger storms, there are winter storm warnings for the mountains in Los Angeles, Ventura and San Bernardino counties. Sometimes the roads are closed due to blizzard-like conditions.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM

8,256 posts, read 15,791,218 times
No mountains eh?

And, there's some there that show the beauty of LA.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:35 PM

107 posts, read 123,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LA for me.

NY is great but Id rather live in the LA Area than the NY Area. Better weather, better natural setting and I like SoCal gardens and homes much better. Spanish style and mediterrenean style homes are much more appealling to me.

Not a fan of colonial/ tudor style homes like the kind you find in Greenwich and Long Island-they appear cold and uninviting.
There's actually many new Mediterranean stly palazzos being built all around the tristate area if you look; they are mainly concentrated around areas with heavy Italian presences. Staten Island is almost half Med style homes in the wealthy areas. Even some shrubby palm trees too.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:38 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,975,391 times
A ton of Los Angeles photos. The photos were taken in these locations:

Long Beach
East LA
The Scenic LA River
South Central
Crenshaw Blvd
The Jungle
The Grove
Compton
Imperial Courts
Watts
BuckEyeNative001
Jordan Downs
USC
Downtown
Chinatown
Westlake
Los Feliz
Koreatown
Westwood
Orange County
ColDayMan
Beverly Hills
Santa Monica
Newport Beach
Laguna Beach
Palos Verde
Venice Beach
Sunset Strip
Hollywood
Muholland Drive
Elysian Park
Pasadena
Paradox227
The Jewelry District
The Fashion District
The Tuxedo District
The Shoe District
The Toy District
The Bootleg Animals in Cages District
The Red Line Subway
Melrose Avenue
Universal Citywalk
Jose

Enjoy...

.....Meanwhile, down the street from Hollywood, the party don't stop!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:13 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,049,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EURO FR View Post
Los Angeles is OK and all, but how can you compare it to New York? It's like a fact that NY is the biggest and greatest in your country!
New York is the most sophisticated and not to mention a city of character - something lacking with most/all American cities. New York is New York, the capital of the world. Honestly, Los Angeles isn't even on the same level.

I wouldn't put L. A. on the same level with NY in most respects, but in the character department, I would. EURO, I know character. Character is a friend of mine. EURO, you don't know character. Secondly, this thread isn't about buildings or mountains, it's about people and where they would most rather be. I, for one, would rather live under a bridge in L. A. than in the tallest penthouse in NY,..I'll tell you why. You can do more things in L. A. and the general area than you could in NY. That's just a fact. L. A. isn't on a sandbar in a crummy location for extracurricular activity, L. A. is deserts and mountains and beaches. Then I have to go into the general comparisons. L. A. or NY beaches? Homes with backyards, pools and barbeques, or shoebox apartments with Hibachis on the window sill, next to the A/C unit? The weather? Coney Island or Disneyland? Port Authority NY/NJ or Port of LA/LB? Broadway or Hollywood? Freeway or subway? (Yes, I know how much character (sniff) there is on the subway, but I'd rather take my chances in my own comfortable transportation with my own air or heat and my own music as opposed to someone else's, thank you!) Just depends on what you're looking for in life. If you want restaurants and sidewalks and office buildings and museums and plays, NY's your place. However, it's going to be 41 degrees today, then dip down to 23 degrees by week's end. It's going to be 74 in Los Angeles. There will be skiers in the mountains mentioned earlier, people surfing and sunning on the beaches, and people going to the various restaurants and museums and plays and music venues and pubs and attractions just like they would in NY, only with much, much better weather in a superior location. That construction is a knockout though, wow.. but other than that, NY is no more special than Philly or Boston or anywhere else and it's not the world capital either, sorry. It's not even the capital of the fourth largest state in the union. It's certainly not my capital. NY is a very dynamic, compact place as far as the interesting things are concerned, and L. A. is a sprawling giant that will only grow larger without becoming crampt! (Pretty soon, all those impressive towers will be so dense, there will be no need for windows, and no sunlight will hit the streets and the people below. You think NY'rs look like troglodytes now!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 AM

20,005 posts, read 73,114,763 times
160 pictures??? Honestly? Remove about 150 of those and it'd be alright. I feel sorry for those on dial-up. Good heavens!!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:46 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,287,756 times
okay. I'll bite..
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast
[B
Quote:
I wouldn't put L. A. on the same level with NY in most respects, but in the character department, I would.
Really?

Quote:
EURO, I know character. Character is a friend of mine. EURO, you don't know character.
Please. Explain.

Quote:
Secondly, this thread isn't about buildings or mountains, it's about people and where they would most rather be. I, for one, would rather live under a bridge in L. A. than in the tallest penthouse in NY,..
Oh. I gotta hear this.
Quote:
I'll tell you why. You can do more things in L. A. and the general area than you could in NY.
Like..?
Quote:
That's just a fact. L. A. isn't on a sandbar in a crummy location for extracurricular activity, L. A. is deserts and mountains and beaches.
Deserts and Mountains? What is this? Iraq.
Quote:
Then I have to go into the general comparisons. L. A. or NY beaches?
NYC has the largest municiple beach in America. The Rockways. The Hamptons isn't too far and Jones Beach is easily one of the best in the nation.

Quote:
Homes with backyards, pools and barbeques, or shoebox apartments with Hibachis on the window sill, next to the A/C unit?
Yet this city still has the largest population by far in America.
Quote:
The weather?
Ahh... 70 degrees all year long.. Snore....

Quote:
Coney Island or Disneyland?
Yep. A Coney Dog, the Wonder Wheel, The Cyclone, sweet Zeppoli, the Atlantic and a baseball game at Keyspan Park. Besides, Isn't Disney Land in Orange County...
Quote:
Port Authority NY/NJ or Port of LA/LB?
The PANYNJ handles the ports, airports, and the WTC. What is the Port of LA/LB anyway?

Quote:
Broadway or Hollywood?
You're kidding right? Hollywood is madeup. Pretend. Broadway is theatre and culture; live in front of you.

Quote:
Freeway or subway? (Yes, I know how much character (sniff) there is on the subway, but I'd rather take my chances in my own comfortable transportation with my own air or heat and my own music as opposed to someone else's, thank you!)
Funny you talk about air. LA has the worst air in the nation because of the freeways. A city of over 4 million; yet has some of the worst public transportation in the world. Sad..

Quote:
Just depends on what you're looking for in life. If you want restaurants and sidewalks and office buildings and museums and plays, NY's your place.
So, you really can't get that in LA, huh?
Quote:
However, it's going to be 41 degrees today, then dip down to 23 degrees by week's end. It's going to be 74 in Los Angeles.
So wheather is the only thing people in LA boast about?
Quote:
There will be skiers in the mountains mentioned earlier, people surfing and sunning on the beaches, and people going to the various restaurants and museums and plays and music venues and pubs and attractions just like they would in NY, only with much, much better weather in a superior location.
But I only thought you could find museums and attractions in NYC...
Quote:
That construction is a knockout though, wow.. but other than that, NY is no more special than Philly or Boston or anywhere else and it's not the world capital either, sorry.
Funny. 46 million people toured the city last year..
Quote:
It's not even the capital of the fourth largest state in the union.
Since when LA is the capitol of California? Oh yeah, when Shaq said that while he was playing for the Lakers. leav It's certainly not my capital.
Quote:
NY is a very dynamic, compact place as far as the interesting things are concerned, and L. A. is a sprawling giant that will only grow larger without becoming crampt! (Pretty soon, all those impressive towers will be so dense, there will be no need for windows, and no sunlight will hit the streets and the people below. You think NY'rs look like troglodytes now!
[/color][/b]
Sprawl doesn't mean nothing. In fact, it is a disadvantage to a city. LA may be the 2nd largest city in the nation. But is 469 sq miles. That's 7,877 per sqaure mile. NYC is 322 sq miles with 26,403 people per sq mile. if NYC has LA's size the city will have a population of over 12.3 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.