U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you prefer New York City or the Los Angeles area?
New York City 129 70.49%
Los Angeles 54 29.51%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM
 
302 posts, read 901,872 times
Reputation: 89

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Great shots of NYC! Its nice to see the hills in the background (the last image), which look just as big than the ones I see in the foreground of the L.A. pics.
They may look as big, but they aren't even close.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 01-16-2008, 03:02 PM
 
302 posts, read 901,872 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I wouldn't put L. A. on the same level with NY in most respects, but in the character department, I would. EURO, I know character. Character is a friend of mine. EURO, you don't know character. Secondly, this thread isn't about buildings or mountains, it's about people and where they would most rather be. I, for one, would rather live under a bridge in L. A. than in the tallest penthouse in NY,..I'll tell you why. You can do more things in L. A. and the general area than you could in NY. That's just a fact. L. A. isn't on a sandbar in a crummy location for extracurricular activity, L. A. is deserts and mountains and beaches. Then I have to go into the general comparisons. L. A. or NY beaches? Homes with backyards, pools and barbeques, or shoebox apartments with Hibachis on the window sill, next to the A/C unit? The weather? Coney Island or Disneyland? Port Authority NY/NJ or Port of LA/LB? Broadway or Hollywood? Freeway or subway? (Yes, I know how much character (sniff) there is on the subway, but I'd rather take my chances in my own comfortable transportation with my own air or heat and my own music as opposed to someone else's, thank you!) Just depends on what you're looking for in life. If you want restaurants and sidewalks and office buildings and museums and plays, NY's your place. However, it's going to be 41 degrees today, then dip down to 23 degrees by week's end. It's going to be 74 in Los Angeles. There will be skiers in the mountains mentioned earlier, people surfing and sunning on the beaches, and people going to the various restaurants and museums and plays and music venues and pubs and attractions just like they would in NY, only with much, much better weather in a superior location. That construction is a knockout though, wow.. but other than that, NY is no more special than Philly or Boston or anywhere else and it's not the world capital either, sorry. It's not even the capital of the fourth largest state in the union. It's certainly not my capital. NY is a very dynamic, compact place as far as the interesting things are concerned, and L. A. is a sprawling giant that will only grow larger without becoming crampt! (Pretty soon, all those impressive towers will be so dense, there will be no need for windows, and no sunlight will hit the streets and the people below. You think NY'rs look like troglodytes now!
I'm sorry, but if you think LA has more character than NYC, you don't know character. NYC blows LA in terms of character - including people, buildings, neighorhoods and architecture - those things certainly play a role in determine where someone wants to live. I see little character in Los Angeles, and a ton of character in cities like Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia, D.C., and New York.

Capital? What does NYC not being the capital of the fourth largest state in the Union have to do with anything? Los Angeles isn't the capital of the largest state in the Union, so I don't understand your point. However, for all intensive purposes - NYC is the center of the US. It may not be the capital, but it is without compare the most looked to and influencial city in the Union.

More to do in LA? There's no way you can say there is more to do in LA than NYC. Both have a lot to offer, and what they offer is so different. LA pales in comparision to NYC in terms of art, theater, opera, symphony, concerts, shopping, dining, and more. NYC pales in comparision to LA when it comes to doing things outside of the city. Save that - NYC has a much more to offer than LA. When I go to NYC, I am out and about all hours of the day - going here and going there. When I'm in LA - I pretty much stay in Santa Monica. There's really nothing (other than beaches, weather, and nature) in LA that you can't get in NYC. Yet, there's a consider amount of things NYC offers that are abscent in NYC (culture).

Beaches? I'll give you LA beaches over NYC's any day. But, how often do you go to the beach?

Transportion? I'm sorry, but transportation issues are LA's biggest problem, and poor transportation planning is, in part, to blame for the sprawling suburban mess that Los Angeles is today. I was in New York last month, and the subways are certainly cleaner than the streets of LA (save Beverly Hills - which is a sterile, characterless bore). LA is filthy - Manhattan is clean.

LA Growing? That's something you're proud of? LA is a disaster as it is. Why would you want it to grow any bigger?

In closing, I don't hate LA. In fact, I like visiting LA (mostly for the weather/beaches), but the city is a mess. There's just nothing cute or charming in Los Angeles at all. Even the most perfect neighborhood on the planet - Beverly Hills - is dull and lifeless. Rodeo Drive? Why is it so famous? Because of the retailers there. Otherwise, it's totally plastic and completely void of character. The mock Spanish Steps (or whatever there are) and the little Euro-like street were something that inspired laughter in me because it was such a pathetic attempt at adding character to a lifeless area.

The areas I like are Los Feliz, West Hollywood (I know it's not part of LA), Westwood, Brentwood and Santa Monica (I know it's not part of LA) - but none of those areas hold a candle to most of the neighborhoods in the character-full cities mentioned above. I'd rather spend a day in Queens than Beverly Hills any day. I guess maybe I do dislike LA

And - Coney Island over Disneyland any day.

Sometimes you Angelenos are so funny - your desperate attempts at making your dump of a surburban city appealing are so......off.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-16-2008, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 73,129,608 times
Reputation: 10286
Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
They may look as big, but they aren't even close.
If you can see them many miles in the distance, theyre a pretty good size if ya ask me.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-16-2008, 04:33 PM
 
302 posts, read 901,872 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
If you can see them many miles in the distance, theyre a pretty good size if ya ask me.
Yeah, they are. But, the mountains within LA are definitely mountains. Not as majestic as the Olympics in Washington, but still mountains.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-16-2008, 04:58 PM
 
2 posts, read 16,231 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I wouldn't put L. A. on the same level with NY in most respects, but in the character department, I would. EURO, I know character. Character is a friend of mine. EURO, you don't know character. Secondly, this thread isn't about buildings or mountains, it's about people and where they would most rather be. I, for one, would rather live under a bridge in L. A. than in the tallest penthouse in NY,..I'll tell you why. You can do more things in L. A. and the general area than you could in NY. That's just a fact. L. A. isn't on a sandbar in a crummy location for extracurricular activity, L. A. is deserts and mountains and beaches. Then I have to go into the general comparisons. L. A. or NY beaches? Homes with backyards, pools and barbeques, or shoebox apartments with Hibachis on the window sill, next to the A/C unit? The weather? Coney Island or Disneyland? Port Authority NY/NJ or Port of LA/LB? Broadway or Hollywood? Freeway or subway? (Yes, I know how much character (sniff) there is on the subway, but I'd rather take my chances in my own comfortable transportation with my own air or heat and my own music as opposed to someone else's, thank you!) Just depends on what you're looking for in life. If you want restaurants and sidewalks and office buildings and museums and plays, NY's your place. However, it's going to be 41 degrees today, then dip down to 23 degrees by week's end. It's going to be 74 in Los Angeles. There will be skiers in the mountains mentioned earlier, people surfing and sunning on the beaches, and people going to the various restaurants and museums and plays and music venues and pubs and attractions just like they would in NY, only with much, much better weather in a superior location. That construction is a knockout though, wow.. but other than that, NY is no more special than Philly or Boston or anywhere else and it's not the world capital either, sorry. It's not even the capital of the fourth largest state in the union. It's certainly not my capital. NY is a very dynamic, compact place as far as the interesting things are concerned, and L. A. is a sprawling giant that will only grow larger without becoming crampt! (Pretty soon, all those impressive towers will be so dense, there will be no need for windows, and no sunlight will hit the streets and the people below. You think NY'rs look like troglodytes now!


This is actually funny.

I've lived in Los Angeles for 10 years and I lived in New York for a year and let me tell you, Los Angeles is a dump. To think that anyone can honestly say (with a straight face) that Los Angeles is a better city than New York had me on the floor laughing.....literally.

You can do more things in LA than you can do in Los Angeles? Are you drugged? First of all, New York has everything Los Angeles has X 20. Los Angeles is so laid back, boring and dull. Go to the mountains? Tell me, how many Angelenos do you know that actually go to the mountain? I'm guessing none. And can you honestly, with a straight face, say Los Angeles has more character than New York? LOL!!!

First of all, (generally) Los Angelenos don't really go to museums and do all the sophisticated things you see and hear about New Yorkers doing. Face it, New York is very saturated with wealth and class while Los Angeles is infested with lazy, bohemian-like, unmotivated crass plebeians or illegals who probably have no clue what a museum is. I've rarely held an interesting conversation while I lived in LA; I've never heard anyone say the word museum or gallery in Los Angeles either. New York is the epicenter of class, style and sophistication whereas LA is a city void of any class. Sure, you have dull boring and overrated Beverly Hills and Brentwood, but even that is nothing compared to, say....the Upper East Side. While real-estate prices plummet in West Los Angeles, the average price of an APARTMENT in Manhattan is now $1.4 million. I wonder why?

Better transportation? Los Angeles transportation is so horrible!!!! New York is also #1 in transportation. You see, in New York you have the option to (a) Walk, (b) Take a cab, (c) take the subway or (d) drive. In comparison you can really only drive in Los Angeles. I drove when I lived in Manhattan and trust me, I will take driving in New York ANYDAY over being grid-locked on the crummy 405 swarmed by a sea of illegals with no insurance.

Sure, Los Angeles is sprawling (as if that's a good thing) but the people moving in are mostly poor, uneducated immigrants. It's a well known fact that the higher-educated people with money are leaving Los Angeles en masse.

Beaches? Okay, I must admit that the beaches are nicer in LA than in NYC, but have you ever been to the Hamptons? There is no beach town in the LA area as glamorous and wonderful as the Hamptons in New York.

New York IS the center of this country, probably even the world. When I travelled to Europe or Asia people loved to talk about New York. Whenever I mentioned I lived in New York, they were always so excited. When I lived in Los Angeles and mentioned it, nobody really cared.

It's a FACT that New York is better than Los Angeles.

Last edited by slrmclaren; 01-16-2008 at 05:15 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-16-2008, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,976,885 times
Reputation: 206
It is not a "fact". All a matter of opinion. Some like LA more, some like NYC more. I like LA's natural beauty, and it does have more "attractions" (if you like roller coasters and things). I like NYC's density and how it is very walkable. It attractions are more sight-seeing and theater/arts. Not bad either. But to say LA pales in comparison to NYC in arts is laughable. LA is no slouch at all.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-16-2008, 05:26 PM
 
8,256 posts, read 15,797,742 times
Reputation: 6099
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
okay. I'll bite..

Sprawl doesn't mean nothing. In fact, it is a disadvantage to a city. LA may be the 2nd largest city in the nation. But is 469 sq miles. That's 7,877 per sqaure mile. NYC is 322 sq miles with 26,403 people per sq mile. if NYC has LA's size the city will have a population of over 12.3 million.
Wow, you don't get it. Greater LA is the most densely populated urban area in the US. Heres a quote from Wiki. According to this, NYC sprawls out twice as far.

Los Angeles has a long-standing reputation for sprawl; however, this reputation is undeserved. As of the 2000 Census, The "Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana" Urbanized Area had a population density of 7,068 people per square mile (2,730/km²), covering 1,668 square miles (4,320 km²) of land area, making it the most densely-populated Urbanized Area (as defined by the United States Census Bureau) in the United States.[6] For comparison, the "New York-Newark" Urbanized Area as a whole had a population density of 5,309 people per square mile, covering 3,353 square miles (8,684 km²) of land area.



And the port of LA/LB is the busiest port in the country.



The combined operations of the Port of Long Beach and the Port of Los Angeles are the busiest in the USA
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-16-2008, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 11,068,154 times
Reputation: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
New York City, it just seems that you can make anything out New York. New York City is extremely diverse of course. Mexico City is the largest city in North America. New York City is the largest city in the United States. About 8 million more people live in Mexico City. New York City, however, is probably a much more important city because it contains much more economic, cultural, and international power. (It is the seat of the United Nations) So I would say New York City is the "lmost important city" in North America or South America.

I like the New York scene much more because you can make anything out of the city. Each section of city looks different from the next. You can choose to love it or hate. You will never be bored. People are much more calm then Los Angeles. I noticed that the "L.A scene" guys act like they are all hardcore and the girls are prissy.

New Yorkers seem much more down-to-earth.

Not to mention New York City crime is lower then L.A crime. People in New York City tend to be more social that South California.
Two VERY different cities so it hard to compare.

Of course that is what i've noticed. So different opinions will form .

So in conclusion. I find New York City much more interesting.
Both cities have extremely low crime rates. I'd rather be in South Central and Harlem than in Camden, West Philly, West Palm Beach (FL), or Newark.

New Yorkers... More down-to-Earth. I say no way. The BosWash Corridor is very dense. People are constantly standing on your toes, giving this region that tough, "take no crap" mentality.

What really got me was that you said Angelenos are much calmer than New Yorkers. Wow, that's a first. lol Los Angeles is usually known as the calm, laid back city. Are you sure you're talking about New York City?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-16-2008, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 11,068,154 times
Reputation: 801
I see an argument about beaches here... Los Angeles does not have any beaches within city limits, they're all in the metro area. But Los Angeles AREA beaches are more attractive, I must say, but they have been found to be very unhealthy.

Los Angeles area = more naturally beautiful than the New York City area. New York City = more beautiful in an urban sense.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-16-2008, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,976,885 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I see an argument about beaches here... Los Angeles does not have any beaches within city limits, they're all in the metro area. But Los Angeles AREA beaches are more attractive, I must say, but they have been found to be very unhealthy.

Los Angeles area = more naturally beautiful than the New York City area. New York City = more beautiful in an urban sense.
LA does have beaches in its city limits. The beach cities do hold more beach land, but LA does have beaches in its city limits.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top