Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer New York City or the Los Angeles area?
New York City 129 70.49%
Los Angeles 54 29.51%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Wow, you don't get it. Greater LA is the most densely populated urban area in the US. Heres a quote from Wiki. According to this, NYC sprawls out twice as far.

Los Angeles has a long-standing reputation for sprawl; however, this reputation is undeserved. As of the 2000 Census, The "Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana" Urbanized Area had a population density of 7,068 people per square mile (2,730/km²), covering 1,668 square miles (4,320 km²) of land area, making it the most densely-populated Urbanized Area (as defined by the United States Census Bureau) in the United States.[6] For comparison, the "New York-Newark" Urbanized Area as a whole had a population density of 5,309 people per square mile, covering 3,353 square miles (8,684 km²) of land area.

And the port of LA/LB is the busiest port in the country.

The combined operations of the Port of Long Beach and the Port of Los Angeles are the busiest in the USA
I see you found "Wiki" sources. Do you know what "Wiki" means? It means anybody can just click the word "Edit" on the page you opened and type whatever they please in there for the world to see.

However, the New York Harbor is hitting record cargo numbers.

I have seen a lot of talk about airports here and there, maybe not in ths thread. But just to clear this up... Major airports in the New York City area - JFK, LaGuardia, Newark Int'l, and a new one is going up off the coast of Long Island... In the ocean... A big airport. When you have 3-4 major airports in your area, and Philly not too far away, you're going to have less passengers at each one. Put them all together and then look at the numbers.

And a dense metropolitan area isn't a good thing. That creates traffic, pollution, smog, etc. It's better when you have a dense city and a greater city to suburb residence.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
LA does have beaches in its city limits. The beach cities do hold more beach land, but LA does have beaches in its city limits.
Which ones? Someone from LA told me it didn't. Near the port?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:37 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I see an argument about beaches here... Los Angeles does not have any beaches within city limits, they're all in the metro area. But Los Angeles AREA beaches are more attractive, I must say, but they have been found to be very unhealthy.

Los Angeles area = more naturally beautiful than the New York City area. New York City = more beautiful in an urban sense.
Guerilla's right. Have you heard of Dockweiler state beach? It's part of LA city and is the only place in LA with BBQ pits on the beach.

Actually, not all areas of LA beaches are dirty. Manhattan Beach is very clean. Some parts of LA beaches are not though, just like NYC. Coney Island is gross and the water where the Hudson empties probably has anthrax/AIDS/Cancer/Hepatitis/Malararia/West Nile Virus while farther out to the east, the beaches are beautiful, and, for the most part, very clean.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I see you found "Wiki" sources. Do you know what "Wiki" means? It means anybody can just click the word "Edit" on the page you opened and type whatever they please in there for the world to see.

I have seen a lot of talk about airports here and there, maybe not in ths thread. But just to clear this up... Major airports in the New York City area - JFK, LaGuardia, Newark Int'l, and a new one is going up off the coast of Long Island... In the ocean... A big airport. When you have 3-4 major airports in your area, and Philly not too far away, you're going to have less passengers at each one. Put them all together and then look at the numbers.

And a dense metropolitan area isn't a good thing. That creates traffic, pollution, smog, etc. It's better when you have a dense city and a greater city to suburb residence.
Not to brag, but LA has several as well. There's LAX, Santa Ana, Ontario, Burbank, Palmdale may be getting one, and Oxnard, and I think there's one in Camarillo.

Where will the one off LI be? That sounds cool...like the one in Osaka?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Quote:

Yeah it is from Wiki, but there are links to sources. Also, NYC is a very dense city. NYC has a ton of traffic, pollution, and smog, so I guess having a dense NYC isn't a good thing?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Guerilla's right. Have you heard of Dockweiler state beach? It's part of LA city and is the only place in LA with BBQ pits on the beach.

Actually, not all areas of LA beaches are dirty. Manhattan Beach is very clean. Some parts of LA beaches are not though, just like NYC. Coney Island is gross and the water where the Hudson empties probably has anthrax/AIDS/Cancer/Hepatitis/Malararia/West Nile Virus while farther out to the east, the beaches are beautiful, and, for the most part, very clean.
Honestly, I don't care if NYC's beaches are grimy, dirty, or whatever. Actually, New York's water is a lot cleaner and isn't dangerous to swim in... But nobody swims in it anyway. We're just not a beach town.

Pardon me for my mistake. And I'll tell you right now that LA's beaches are more attactive because of the scenery. In New York, we walk along the boardwalk and watch sports in bars (even though I don't drink). In LA, they surf and hang out on the beach. Nothing wrong with either of them.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Yeah it is from Wiki, but there are links to sources. Also, NYC is a very dense city. NYC has a ton of traffic, pollution, and smog, so I guess having a dense NYC isn't a good thing?
Actually, NYC is on the verge of becoming the greenest city in America. Hard to believe, I know. But this city uses less energy than San Francisco and Dallas, also. New York City is one of only 4 cities in the US that has tap water that does not require going through a treatment plant thanks to the Catskill Mountains watershed. New York City is building more green buildings than any city in America currently. The Brooklyn Bridge is even "going green" this year. We just recently got hybrid taxi cabs AND hybrid city buses, both growing in numbers. Public transportation usage is increasing, etc. And the air in NYC was tested and was concluded as "not dangerous."

New York City is using as little fuel as it did in the 1920s! Last year, New York City taxi cabs saved enough gasoline to drive around the world numerous (8) times, and that number is still rising.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:05 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
There is still a ton of traffic and pollution from the cars in the traffic. Maybe not as much smog though, so I'll give you that.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Actually, NYC is on the verge of becoming the greenest city in America. Hard to believe, I know. But this city uses less energy than San Francisco and Dallas, also. New York City is one of only 4 cities in the US that has tap water that does not require going through a treatment plant thanks to the Catskill Mountains watershed. New York City is building more green buildings than any city in America currently. The Brooklyn Bridge is even "going green" this year. We just recently got hybrid taxi cabs AND hybrid city buses, both growing in numbers. Public transportation usage is increasing, etc. And the air in NYC was tested and was concluded as "not dangerous."

New York City is using as little fuel as it did in the 1920s! Last year, New York City taxi cabs saved enough gasoline to drive around the world numerous (8) times, and that number is still rising.
Actually, I posted a thread earlier that had a link to a site that said LA is building the most green buildings. I think it was like 100 about. Houston was second. NYC was like 8th.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Not to brag, but LA has several as well. There's LAX, Santa Ana, Ontario, Burbank, Palmdale may be getting one, and Oxnard, and I think there's one in Camarillo.

Where will the one off LI be? That sounds cool...like the one in Osaka?
Are those really as big as JFK, Newark, LaGuardia, and Philly Int'l?

I haven't been paying much attention to the development of the airport. I heard it on Wired New York, I believe about 3 months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City