Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city? (alphabetical order)
Knoxville 6 9.38%
Louisville 23 35.94%
Nashville 36 56.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 AM

36 posts, read 60,136 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going to be moving in 2015 and the short list is Nashville or Knoxville in TN or Louisville in KY. I have all the demographic and economic info one would need about all the cities. My question is more about quality of life, cost of living and housing, outdoor quality, etc. I love the no state income tax in TN and Knoxville has low property taxes.....and the smokies are right there so that has me loving it. Wife needs a great medical facility (Louisville has Frazier Rehab, which is best place in country for her job) but doesn't want the big city and is weary of Knoxville being to Deliverance style.

We are moving from San Antonio and looking for advice about the cities and recommendations of what each has to offer.

Please vote and then state why you voted for it. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolus View Post
... is weary of Knoxville being to Deliverance style.
What???? Come on.

I vote Louisville. Tennessee is full.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:34 AM

Hey I don't feel that way, if you had read my statement. My wife's family is from West Virginia and scattered through VA and NC as well...so it's not as if she doesn't have a frame of reference. I didn't mean sodomy, I guess it's more along the lines of being to West Virginia since it is right there in the Appalachians.

Please make a valid vote and quote next time. Thanks a lot.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:36 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
What???? Come on.

I vote Louisville. Tennessee is full.
Yeah Knoxville is a great city nothing Deliverance-ish about it. There isn't even a Deliverance stereotype perpetuated about it, which if there were City-Data would be the place to find it, as it's the Rome of exploiting stereotypes. So where that fear of hers came from is baffling.

I vote Louisville, come find out the hidden secrets that make it awesome and under-rated like I have.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Hey I don't feel that way, if you had read my statement. My wife's family is from West Virginia and scattered through VA and NC as well...so it's not as if she doesn't have a frame of reference. I didn't mean sodomy, I guess it's more along the lines of being to West Virginia since it is right there in the Appalachians.

Please make a valid vote and quote next time. Thanks a lot.
I did vote. And I meant it. Besides, I actually like Lousiville. It is a very cool city.

If you want valid replies, then don't use invalid, inflammatory references in your questions.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:46 AM

mjlo: Thanks for the opinion, what makes it awesome? And my wife gets it from all her family member who live out there in the appalachians and sees the struggles and economic hardships and her parents are weary of moving back to that type of environment, so that's where it comes from.....again, not my opinion.

Wmsn4Life: no inflammatory statements intended, I would hope you could just offer advice of why it's not that way so I can help convince here of what you and I already think. Please don't be offended, none meant whatsoever. Where do you live or rather have you lived in any of the 3 cities?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:48 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,153 times
Quote:
is weary of Knoxville being to Deliverance style.
Was just in Knoxville and it honestly has a more northern city vibe as far as the city goes. But it was strange as it felt completely deserted. Downtown there were only 4 people on the street with me at anytime (including rush hour) and by campus no more than 8 at a time. Probably gets really busy on game day and weekend nights, but I wasn't there for any of that.

Cookie cutter burbs.

Liked Nashville when I was there. Not too big or small.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
mjlo: Thanks for the opinion, what makes it awesome? And my wife gets it from all her family member who live out there in the appalachians and sees the struggles and economic hardships and her parents are weary of moving back to that type of environment, so that's where it comes from.....again, not my opinion.

Wmsn4Life: no inflammatory statements intended, I would hope you could just offer advice of why it's not that way so I can help convince here of what you and I already think. Please don't be offended, none meant whatsoever. Where do you live or rather have you lived in any of the 3 cities?
I live just south of Nashville. I have visited Lousiville often but never lived there. I grew up in Memphis and lived in Knoxville for 3 years during college.

Knoxville is a small city on a river. It's not in Appalachia. It is the home of our state'e flagship university, and lots of very nice people, including people smart enough to teach at said university. It's not a tiny, backwoods hole.

I've seen rednecks all over the country. They're just called something different in every region.

FWIW, Deliverance took place in Georgia.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 AM

Port Pitt Ash: Thanks for the input.

Wmsn4Life: Thanks for the help. I went through Nashville in August and my company would be in Brentwood and we really liked the Franklin area, would want to live that way if we were to go to Nashville.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Louisville is resurgent, huge investments taking place in the CBD. Lots of culture and interesting things, a restaurant scene that is known yet still surprising. Diverse and laid back population. Investments in health care, and services growing. It's got much more visible upper middle class than I expected and with that comes better than average retail offerings and chain restaurants for a city its size. But also a very eclectic and organic population.

There are drawbacks of course, i'm sure it's not as "hipster" or educated as some city snobs would like. There are still parts of the city that leave something to be desired and are crime ridden, but ive yet to find that magical place where that element didn't exist to some extent.

But I think the biggest pleasant surprise for me was the gay scene(which obviously doesn't mean anything to you). However there is a big gay population with a modern bar scene and the crowd was even more surprisingly mixed gay and straight. The point being it's a far more accepting city than people would think given it's designation as southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City