Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Houston is very Texan. I mean screwed and chopped and Cadillac slab culture originated there. Seems Texan enough to me along with a lot of other things about the city. But only on CD would Houston not be that texan.
Houston doesn't have that "Texan" feel to me. It feels like an extension of Louisiana and the Deep South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston doesn't have that "Texan" feel to me. It feels like an extension of Louisiana and the Deep South.
Houston really isn't deep south as in Lufkin, Tyler etc. And it does have a bit of Louisiana feel but overall it feels more Texan than a extension Louisiana. The hip hop culture for sure screams Texan. Lol I bet some Houstonians would be offended saying Houston isn't that Texan lol. Don't tell zz top lol.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Houston really isn't deep south as in Lufkin, Tyler etc. And it does have a bit of Louisiana feel but overall it feels more Texan than a extension Louisiana. The hip hop culture for sure screams Texan. Lol I bet some Houstonians would be offended saying Houston isn't that Texan lol. Don't tell zz top lol.
agreed. Lufkin and Tyler you can make an argument for as deep south. Houston, no. I do agree that Houston is like an extension of the Deep South. But Houston is still in Texas.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
agreed. Lufkin and Tyler you can make an argument for as deep south. Houston, no. I do agree that Houston is like an extension of the Deep South. But Houston is still in Texas.
I gave you enough rep points so I can't rep you right now. But I agree. Houston is Texan just in a different way.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Quote:
Houston is very Texan. I mean screwed and chopped and Cadillac slab culture originated there. Seems Texan enough to me along with a lot of other things about the city. But only on CD would Houston not be that texan.
I have argued that Houston is the most Texan of all the major Texas Cities, for the historical events that happened in the area alone, and who the town is named after. I mean who is more Texan than Sam Houston himself? But it was all to no avail. It seems that Texans themselves conflate Cowboy culture with Texan culture and the two are not necessarily one in the same...

Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I have argued that Houston is the most Texan of all the major Texas Cities, for the historical events that happened in the area alone, and who the town is named after. I mean who is more Texan than Sam Houston himself? But it was all to no avail. It seems that Texans themselves conflate Cowboy culture with Texan culture and the two are not necessarily one in the same...
I will go on a limb and say San Antonio and Houston are the most Texan major cities in the state.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:33 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Quote:
I will go on a limb and say San Antonio and Houston are the most Texan major cities in the state.
Sounds good to me . Now go on the Texas forum and post that and see what you get !

Hint they will agree with the former but not the latter...

Old 02-17-2015, 09:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
I have lived in both cities. I have much more experience with Houston than with Dallas, though.

In my opinion, Dallas is a much more interesting place to visit, but Houston is a better place to live. That said, I do believe they are quite similar in many respects. I do not at all agree with the LA-SF analogy.

Houston has a much better food scene. I know that's subjective, but I found it to be my impression in everything except the highest-end restaurants, which are evenly balanced between both cities. For day-to-day and even typical upscale dining, Houston is quite a bit better in my opinion.

I believe drivers in Houston are some of the worst I've ever experienced in terms of being disrespectful and immature on the freeways. There is a bigger truck mentality in Houston and tailgating, aggressive driving, and a general sense of entitlement, presumably based on "bigger is better" seems to be the norm there, much more than in Dallas. That said, the freeways in Houston are better and more logically designed, so traffic seems to move a bit better.

The bugs are worse in Houston--mosquitoes, roaches, fire ants, ticks, fleas, termites...it's a swamp, so you get what you get. It's not much better in Dallas, but the lower humidity cuts the sweat factor a bit at night, which helps some with mosquitoes.

The weather is worse in Dallas (which is saying a lot). It's hotter in air temperature, more stormy, and more extreme at both ends of the spectrum. Houston has terrible weather, too, but its humidity is a bit easier for me to deal with. Others' opinions may vary. It's the rare person who'd seek out either place on its weather merits.

Dallas was a better place for my creative field, but Houston was a better place to inspire a creative professional. I have no idea why the job market for creative people lags in Houston. It does, though, and it's well known. Dallas is a bit better in most areas in this regard. If you're not looking for a creative career, it won't matter. If you are, your best bet in Texas is probably Austin, anyway.

Both are sprawled and suburban in character, compared to cities like NYC, SF, Boston, or Philly. Dallas has more walkable districts and clusters restaurants, bars and nightlife areas way more coherently than Houston does. Neither city does public transportation well. Light rail is not a commuter solution. It is slow and inefficient when mixed in with traffic as both cities do. Building more of it exacerbates its problems.

I like cities and Dallas always felt like it had a bit of an urban edge on Houston to me. It seems a bit more lively close to its core and the clearer definition of commercial and entertainment districts seemed to centralize their amenities in a more cohesive way.

Houston had more interesting urban neighborhoods, though, such as Montrose, The Heights, West End, Rice Military, etc. I lived near Upper Greenville for awhile and had friends in the Uptown area around the McKinney trolley and Oaklawn areas (probably a couple of Dallas' more interesting urban neighborhoods) and I found them rather sterile after awhile. I think that's why I found Dallas a more enjoyable place as a visitor than as a resident.

In Dallas, it's easier as a visitor to find your way around and get a good sense of the city life. But the day-to-day life in your neighborhood may seem comparatively less satisfying. The opposite was true for me in Houston. There, I found the districts that were carved out specifically for shopping or entertainment to be boring, and much favored neighborhood destinations that catered to a more local crowd. Both cities turn into suburban sprawl pretty fast.

I did like Fort Worth. It's a small city in its own right and worth several visits. I didn't care much at all for Galveston, which is touted here as a great Houston amenity. I simply didn't find its brown surf to be worth the hour+ drive.

I think high end shopping is pretty equal in both places. Dallas seems to like its stores better than Houston likes the ones there. Both cities place way too much importance on this, though.

I liked the people better in Houston. Hard to say why, exactly, but they seemed to be better grounded in Houston and friendlier.

Despite these (mostly quite subtle) differences, I did find the two cities to be very similar. So, if you're seeking a drastic change coming from one, you'll likely be disappointed. If I'm picking the lesser of two evils, my choice is Houston.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:47 PM

411 posts, read 719,781 times
As a pure outside visitor who has spent at only 2-3 days in each city, I prefer Houston a bit more. It's got more character and distinctiveness. It has more urban/dense neighborhoods and seems a bit more developed or well-aged in terms of scenery and architecture. It's also more diverse and feels a bit bigger.

I've only been in Dallas' downtown, but it seems like just a random big city. Buildings are really spaced out, no one is on the street, it seems sparsely populated, and everything about the city's architecture/design is very bland, though newer looking

Old 02-18-2015, 04:32 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,810 times
I think of you are a Texan especially, you are going to see big differences between any big city in Texas and also the different regions in Texas. Obviously there are big differences. I think, however, if you don't like hot summers, bugs, Texas pride or the Texas flag you will not find anywhere big or small in Texas to be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City