Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 03:58 PM

12,732 posts, read 21,629,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Sure, there are differences. No-one is claiming they are identical, but they are both Texas cities, with relatively high foreign born populations, very similar layout - weak downtowns for MSAs of their size, surrounded by pockets of urbanish neighborhoods surrounded by a veritable sea of suburban sprawl. They are demographically and politically very similar- liberal cores with quite conservative suburbs. Both of them have quite a bit in common with Atlanta, but Atlanta is not one third Latino -mostly Mexican like Dallas and Houston.When a third of your population is of Mexican descent, it is pretty difficult to claim to be only a Deep South city or a Great Plains one. They are both definitively Texas cities, with a a few regional differences. The biggest difference for me is that the DFW MSA is anchored by two large cities- Dallas and Fort Worth, the Houston MSA only one.

They are obviously different from each other, but they are more like each other than either one is like any other city in the country or even the state of Texas and they have much more in common with each other than LA and SF do in terms of their built environment, patterns of growth, demographics, economies, size of population, state pride etc . . .

That's why the rivalry is so intense, they are so similar that everyone has to go into overdrive insisting on the importance of what are mostly minor differences.
Despite a large Mexican population, Houston still has more Deep South roots and influence than Hispanic or Mexican. I'm from the Deep South, and I feel RIGHT at home.

Also, not all of Houston's Hispanic population is Mexican. I've seen somewhere that Dallas's Hispanic population is more Mexican than Houston's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:59 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,736,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
The OP asked: Is Houston, Texas anything like Dallas, Texas? not "Are Dallas and Houston identical?" The only truthful answer to the OP's question is: YES.
Right. That's a given. Someone could ask are Dallas and Atlanta anything alike, and the answer would be yes. Are Philadelphia and Boston anything alike? Yes. Etc..

Old 02-15-2015, 04:49 PM

298 posts, read 412,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
Yes, I am familiar with the confusing and arbitrary way in which people of the European descent race classify others and how those classifications are used, designed, and manipulated to fit their agenda. According to the government census, Dallas is over 50% European American...
According to the Census, 28% of people in the city of Dallas are white. Period. Many Hispanics don't want to put other, so they put white.

And to the ignorant people perpetuating the racist, conservative steorotype Dallas, stop please.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:40 PM

267 posts, read 301,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
According to the Census, 28% of people in the city of Dallas are white. Period. Many Hispanics don't want to put other, so they put white.

And to the ignorant people perpetuating the racist, conservative steorotype Dallas, stop please.
According to the census, Dallas is over 50% European American. It's not my fault that the U.S. government doesn't know how to classify people properly.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:57 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,019,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Despite a large Mexican population, Houston still has more Deep South roots and influence than Hispanic or Mexican. I'm from the Deep South, and I feel RIGHT at home.

Also, not all of Houston's Hispanic population is Mexican. I've seen somewhere that Dallas's Hispanic population is more Mexican than Houston's.
You will feel at home in Dallas as well.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:02 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
I can agree with these differences between Dallas and Houston in that Dallas is like the Mid-South with a touch of Upper South and Great Plains Midwestern feel. Their accents amongst Blacks sound more like Northern Mississippi, Northern Louisiana, Arkansas, and Memphis than it does with Houston. It also has a more warehouse type development more than Houston.

Houston is more Gulf Coast Southern. Looks more like Southern Louisiana than it does the rest of Texas at least the inner loop does and looks denser too. Depending on where you are at in Houston, you would think you're in different regions within the US when you leave one side and go to the next. The Woodlands topography looks different from Sugarland and Katy looks different from League City.

But these are minor differences though. Outside of that, both Dallas and Houston are more alike. I personally however would never call either city a deep south city. But they are still Southern. Like an Orlando or Tampa and to a smaller extent, even South Florida.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:05 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
According to the census, Dallas is over 50% European American. It's not my fault that the U.S. government doesn't know how to classify people properly.
You're quoting the entire metropolitan area. The city is way under 50% European American. That 50% is also 2010 as well. I'm willing to be it's under 50% five years later. The Black, Hispanic, and Asian population together is growing much faster than the White population.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
You will feel at home in Dallas as well.
I doubt from the things I've heard alotta you guys say. DFW's lack of pine trees will not make it feel like the typical Deep South; the pine tree is a huge factor in the Deep South.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I can agree with these differences between Dallas and Houston in that Dallas is like the Mid-South with a touch of Upper South and Great Plains Midwestern feel. Their accents amongst Blacks sound more like Northern Mississippi, Northern Louisiana, Arkansas, and Memphis than it does with Houston. It also has a more warehouse type development more than Houston.

Houston is more Gulf Coast Southern. Looks more like Southern Louisiana than it does the rest of Texas at least the inner loop does and looks denser too. Depending on where you are at in Houston, you would think you're in different regions within the US when you leave one side and go to the next. The Woodlands topography looks different from Sugarland and Katy looks different from League City.

But these are minor differences though. Outside of that, both Dallas and Houston are more alike. I personally however would never call either city a deep south city. But they are still Southern. Like an Orlando or Tampa and to a smaller extent, even South Florida.
I can probably see what you are saying considering that Houston is large, and so many different people live here. However, I would definitely call Houston Deep South. I'm still just blown away at how country the people are here, especially the blacks. LOL. Houston and Atlanta are so similar in this category, but I think Houston gets the edge. To me, it just seems like someone took Mobile or Baton Rouge, flatten those cities out to the extreme, and added buildings, urbanity, more people, etc. to them.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:51 PM

Speaking on differences, I get pretty interesting answers on how different Houston and Dallas are from the Dallas blacks that I work with or hang around. Sorry that I have only one perspective, but the all of the people (6) that I know from Dallas are black.

Black Dallasites' observations:
1. Houston is blacker and has more events and stuff for blacks to attend and do. (All of them have said this)
2. Houston is bigger than Dallas. (I found that puzzling considering that DFW is larger; one girl said Houston is overwhelming)
3. Dallas is classier.
4. Houston is more ghetto. (I've heard people from both cities call each other ghetto. LOL)
5. Houston has more traffic than Dallas.

I've always wondered how Houston feels larger than DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City