Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which "Innovation District" is better?
Kendall Square (Cambridge/Boston) 36 53.73%
University City (Philadelphia) 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 05:01 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times

Advertisements

Great videos man! Definitely worth checking out for anyone (like me) who's unfamiliar with University City. It definitely looks like a cool place. I've only had the good fortune of visiting Philly once before, but University City will absolutely be at the top of my list next time. It's strikingly similar to Cambridge actually.

What is the private presence like in the area?

Last edited by tmac9wr; 02-12-2015 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 05:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
I was curious on employment

I could only find Cambridge in total which looks like about 120K - U City is about 97K but includes the large university employers for Penn and Drexel and HUP and CHOP

One difference is MAS Gen is just across the river whereas HUP is in U City

I imagine U City has more students than Kendall Sq as it has the two large universities - on this aspect Cambridge in total is probably more similar if you include Harvard. Also BU is closer than say a Temple

Old 02-12-2015, 05:33 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
^^ True, it may be difficult to get only Kendall's numbers there. This comparison may have actually been more apt if it were Cambridge vs University City seeing as they're very similar in size (population & geography).

Old 02-12-2015, 07:41 PM

283 posts, read 463,320 times
A lot of development in University city now and coming up. Can't wait to see Penn's plans for it's new $1.5 billlion hospital expansion!

Old 02-12-2015, 08:36 PM

233 posts, read 368,596 times
Kendal Square and east Cambridge is a huge innovation district that started to grow and became internationally prominent long ago and continues to gain momentum and prestige every year. The area is basically a corporate incubator for MIT and Harvard and the amount of public and private money that is present is enormous. By now, the area involves large chunks of space from Central square in Cambridge to the Lechmere area in Cambridge/Sommerville with enormous development projects all along this corridor. Biotech is a major focus and KS is among the top biotech centers in the world. Many other companies such as Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon have large operations there and new industries in areas like nanotech and robotics also have a major presence

Kendall Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cambridge to allow larger buildings in part of Kendall Square - Cambridge - Your Town - Boston.com

Volpe redevelopment in heart of Kendall gets proposed zoning from city planners (update) | Cambridge Day

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/re...idge.html?_r=0

Old 02-13-2015, 12:27 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I was curious on employment

I could only find Cambridge in total which looks like about 120K - U City is about 97K but includes the large university employers for Penn and Drexel and HUP and CHOP

One difference is MAS Gen is just across the river whereas HUP is in U City

I imagine U City has more students than Kendall Sq as it has the two large universities - on this aspect Cambridge in total is probably more similar if you include Harvard. Also BU is closer than say a Temple
Plus they are MIT students... Hardly your typical college kids. I live next to Cal Tech now and it's the same exact thing - might as well just live next to a Lockheed campus with 40 year olds.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:53 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Great comparison!

At the moment, it seems like Kendall Square has the edge, but University City has enormous potential and is continuing to capitalize greatly on its institutional capacity. You can guarantee that Philly is looking to Cambridge as a model for "urban innovation."

What Boston has done so well is created numerous "spin-off" ventures through its research institutions, and that's exactly the kind of success that Philly is trying to replicate in University City.

It will be really cool to see how both Cambridge/Boston and Philly evolve, as these "innovation districts" are now so key to economic growth moving forward.

Last edited by Duderino; 02-13-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 01:32 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think Kendall Square probably has a small edge if we're talking about their relative power within the city. However if we're talking about the bigger picture, then it's certainly Kendall - and by a pretty solid margin. It's likely the private research capital of the planet and you could argue for its geographical size, it has the most impressive lineup of companies on Earth.

University City has a large medical presence due to CHOP & UPenn, but is there a significant private presence in the area? I can't really seem to find anything on major biotech, pharma or high tech. What are some of the other key components of University City?

One thing that Kendall has going for it on top of the lab developments is the number of condos being built in and around the area. There are several new condo buildings which have been completed or are under construction, along with some reformations and nearby East Cambridge has several major condo projects going up as well. I haven't spent a ton of time walking around Kendall but what I've heard is in-line with what munchitup said (and I think Kid Philly has said in the past). That being, it's not a great pedestrian experience all the time and there's a lack of retail. Hopefully the infusion of residents will help remedy some of that.
I agree that Kendall Square currently has the edge over University City. However, I would rank University City second to ONLY Kendall Square as far as urban research centers go in the entire United States.

Not only is there the Ivy League University of Pennsylvania, but Drexel University as well, which definitely seems to be a growing University quickly on the rise. There is also the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia which is a smaller university. On top of that, there are the Hospitals. The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Penn Presbyterian, both under the "Penn Medicine" mantra and located in University City rank #7 in the Country. Children's Hospital of Philadelphia ranks #1 for Children's Hospitals.

There is also the University City Science Center. Located in the UCSC is over 60 companies ranging from tech, to bio and pharmaceuticals to medical, including Avid Radiopharmaceuticals, ECFMG, Energy Plus, Exponent, Integral Molecular, Monell Chemical Senses Center, National Board of Medical Examiners, Optofluidics, Pulsar Informatics, Rosetta Genomics, Adaptimmune Limited, Admire Capital, Amriton, AUM Life Tech, BGI Health Americas, BioAdvance, Capish, CytoVas, etc.

The Wistar Institute is located in University City, and companies located within the Cira Centre Office building include lawfirms Dechert, LLP, Woodcock Washburn, LLP, and Reger Rizzo & Darnall, LLP. Hedge Fund firm Attalus Capital, manufacturer SCA, real estate private equity firm Lubert Adler, the MandMarblestone Group, Iron Stone Strategic Capital Partners, and digital forensics company Capsicum LLC.

Under construction is the 49 floor, 730 foot FMC Tower at Cira Centre South, which will house the chemical company FMC. The top floors will be apartments.
FMC Tower at Cira Centre South

Other buildings include the Evo, which is a 33 floor apartment building which was recently complete. Under construction is the 28 floor luxury apartment building 3601 Market, as well as the 25 floor luxury apartment building with two floors of office space 3737 Chestnut. The 25 floor Drexel Dormitory The Summit is under construction, as well as the 14 floor Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Research, and the 19 floor Penn Medicine South Tower which will house research, medical and academic space. Penn is also building a new 7 floor dorm. The 13 floor office building 3737 Market was just completed. The 13 floor Drexel LeBow College of business building was recently complete, as well as the 19 floor Chestnut Square luxury apartment building. The 12 floor Homewood Suites by Hilton was complete in 2012. There is a 10 floor Study Hotel under construction (which ironically, the only other one is in Cambridge).

There are also a ton of smaller 5,6,7,8 floor buildings under construction including the Penn Presbyterian South Pavilion at 6 floors, the Neural Behavioral Sciences Center at 5 floors, the Penn Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics at 8 floors, the Krishna P. Singh Center for Nanotechnology at 5 floors, and 3900 Walnut (a 6 floor office building).

Lastly, the IRS and Post Office have major space and operations located in University City, and the third busiest Train Station in the country is located in University City (30th Street Station). Amtrak, New Jersey Transit and SEPTA all stop here. University City has another SEPTA rail station, the Market-Frankford Subway line runs through UCity, and 5 trolley lines as well as multiple bus routes.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:56 AM

148 posts, read 228,372 times
University City, Philly.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:33 AM

313 posts, read 336,411 times
At some point in the recent past I thought University City would be decades behind Cambridge Ma. but at the current rate of expansion of University City the differential is changing in University City's favor . U of Penn is ranked 4th in the world for innovation and is in a two billion $ life science building expansion . Two of the first genetic engineered therapies was recently approved by the FDA . CIC , ironically Cambridge Innovation Center is opening in U/ city in Oct. of this year which will spur faster growth in innovation . My thought on this is Princeton U. which is a relatively isolated University , its innovators will be attracted to U/City and the new CIC . For those who say Princeton is in the N.Y. Metro I say its still only a 30 minute train ride from Princeton to U/City .Here are some recent Press on U/City . https://emergingcompanies.foxrothsch...ence-clusters/
https://businessfacilities.com/2018/...ver-in-philly/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City