Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which "Innovation District" is better?
Kendall Square (Cambridge/Boston) 36 53.73%
University City (Philadelphia) 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 01:35 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, Davis Square is IMO the model for what Union Square probably will become once the Green Line Extension hits it.

I remember Davis Square as being kind of sleepy when I was an undergrad at Harvard. You took the 96 Medford Square bus up there from Harvard Square. Back then, Tufts University, which straddles the Somerville/Medford line just north of Davis Square, identified itself as being in Medford, and you took the bus because you wanted to go to Tufts, not to Davis Square.

Then the new station on the Red Line Alewife extension opened in 1984 or thereabouts.

One of my roommates in college is a Somerville native and now lives near Davis Square. Whenever I come up to Boston, usually for a class reunion, I make a point of hanging out with him in Davis Square, which is positively jumping now. I attribute the sea change in the commercial district's fortunes to the improved accessibility and connections the subway brought with it. I think that Tufts now even acknowledges that it's partly in Somerville.

Davis Square is not an "innovation district," nor will it ever be, nor does it need to be. Its layout makes it ideally suited to perform the community commons function it now performs, and I wouldn't want to ruin it with a bunch of office buildings.
I agree with all of this. I think the two are very comparable (and Union is already super lively). But the difference between the two that I was referencing is there are some pretty significant development proposals for the industrial land adjacent to Union Square (2+ Million Sq Ft.) and you'll never see anything like that at Davis because there's just no room for it. It's already too surrounded by dense residential development to accommodate large scale office or residential projects. Neither will become anything like Kendall, University City, etc. But Union may see some larger scale development in the not so different future.

Also, Tufts is definitely selling itself as being partly in Somerville and in the Davis Square area. The Red Line announcements actually say "Davis Square / Tufts." When the Green Line Extension is complete, Tufts will have a stop almost on campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 02:57 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
what kind of projects are being developed now in Kendall Square? (Besides SoMa)

Old 03-08-2018, 09:06 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
what kind of projects are being developed now in Kendall Square? (Besides SoMa)
Here's a list of projects in the Kendall Sq area

http://www.bldup.com/places/cambridg...Kendall+Square

Old 03-10-2018, 07:43 PM

313 posts, read 337,014 times
University City is rapidly growing and gaining on Kendall Sq. but not there yet . If interested this is the latest University City Dist. annual report . https://issuu.com/universitycity/doc...47788/54875740

Old 03-14-2018, 05:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
this is a great link for the U City development of SYs and 30th street railyard

let it play through (it changes pictures), if built anything close will be quite the location

thedirtypirate posted in a H2Q thread

https://www.som.com/projects/philade..._district_plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City