Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:52 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNJ View Post
Fresh Prince of Bel Air for Philly vs for Boston.

Hamburg = Pied Piper, and its in Northern Germany.

Thats all I know.
A little show called Cheers, set in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 02:53 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
Quote:
I loved Paris. I loved London as well, and I may lean towards Paris between the two.
Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing city, but most people i know (myself included) don't believe it lives up to all the hype. It is dirty, expensive, & native Parisians expect you to know basic French before going there, if you don't they can be rather rude to you

Old 02-15-2015, 02:54 PM

148 posts, read 228,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
A little show called Cheers, set in Boston.

Yeah there we go.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air vs. Cheers.

More recognizable song?

Old 02-15-2015, 02:55 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
What does a sleepy town like Washington DC have in common with a bustling, centuries-old, mega-city like Paris? I guess they are both the capitals of their respective countries.
Sleepy? Says someone from the sleepy Chicago South Side. See what I just did there

Old 02-15-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Most people I met overseas knew Philly.

I think Boston benefits because of the sports teams success and its the closest US major city to Europe.

I dont see the appeal outside of that. Its a lower tier city compared to SF, Chicago and LA. Its with Philly and DC. No reason to be above them. It doesn't beat Philly for history.
Sure it is [Insert sarcasm]

Old 02-15-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I've never been to Paris, but I've been to DC. And while I loved DC, I'd be very disappointed if Paris had much in common.
DC was actually modeled after the City of Versailles, which is within close driving distance from Paris. This was well before Paris' streets and architecture were reinvented by Haussmann in order to have it become the city that the world is familiar with today.

Last edited by tcave360; 02-15-2015 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Boston has Fenway Park, perhaps the most well known and historic stadium, alongside Wrigley. In my travels abroad, I have always been amazed at how many people know about Fenway and have visited.

Yankee. Stadium.

End.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:04 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Pretty sure that show is associated almost entirely with Bel Air CA. It's in the title, people.

In pop culture, Philly is closely associated with the Rocky films, almost too closely IMO. Joe Frazier deserves a statue in Philly, not fictional Rocky Balboa.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Most people who travel to Paris find it to be kind of a disappointment. Not that it isn't great, but it is overly romanticized in Hollywood. I didnt say DC was just as great as Paris, but it does have many similar characteristics. I have done a lot of traveling for my work, & DC is easily the closest city in the US to Paris
I've heard that Paris is more gritty than people have expected and it looks like it on pictures and some shows too (like No Reservations and The Layover for example). I actually find the thought of a gritty Paris pretty romantic TBH. Not looking forward to the sidewalks littered with dog sh1t though lol.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Pretty sure that show is associated almost entirely with Bel Air CA. It's in the title, people.

In pop culture, Philly is closely associated with the Rocky films, almost too closely IMO. Joe Frazier deserves a statue in Philly, not fictional Rocky Balboa.

Will Smith was from Philadelphia, the song is catchy, and the show had a few drops there too. Just talking about exposure. Its absolutely tied to Bel Air, but also Philly to a lesser extent.

Sing the melody to any European and they will more often probably know that one compared to Cheers. Will they even know Cheers was/is in Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City