Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:36 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,232,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I think people like to compare DC to European cities because it's a big city with a lack of skyscrapers. But other than that they are nothing alike.
Paris actually has tons of highrises, but just not right in the core. It probably has more highrises than any city in North America, except for NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 11:42 AM

148 posts, read 226,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
For example, cities like Philadelphia while famous inside the USA are relatively unheard of in the rest of the world by my experience.

Most people I met overseas knew Philly.

I think Boston benefits because of the sports teams success and its the closest US major city to Europe.

I dont see the appeal outside of that. Its a lower tier city compared to SF, Chicago and LA. Its with Philly and DC. No reason to be above them. It doesn't beat Philly for history.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:12 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,135,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNJ View Post
Most people I met overseas knew Philly.
I have family in Europe. If they heard of Philadelphia which is actually an if, they know nothing else. Philadelphia has no international brand, it's just an American city. Kind of like Tubingen, Germany would seem so clueless for most Americans, Philadelphia is equally a ? for Europeans.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I have family in Europe. If they heard of Philadelphia which is actually an if, they know nothing else. Philadelphia has no international brand, it's just an American city. Kind of like Tubingen, Germany would seem so clueless for most Americans, Philadelphia is equally a ? for Europeans.

Friends I met in Europe last year all knew of Philadelphia and could even name important events that happened there.

Maybe your family just isn't smart or something.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Friends I met in Europe last year all knew of Philadelphia and could even name important events that happened there.

Maybe your family just isn't smart or something.
I think your city is just not as important as you want it to be.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I think your city is just not as important as you want it to be.

Its not my city. Im from NY. Your city isn't important or booming without my city or Latinos.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Miami survives because of Latinos, and thats pretty much it.
Don't forget all the Europeans here, especially the Russians, which all know of Miami and come visit it. Last Friday night I ended up hosting 2 Finnish girls on a pub crawl (my friend is a club promoter).

Old 02-15-2015, 12:46 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,653,942 times
Quote:
I live in Europe, most here actually know very little about US cities in general and people on on this site tend to vastly overestimate what foreigners know about US cities... That being said, most people I've met (and everyone I socialize with) have heard of Philly; furthermore, your Tubingen example is a really bad/laughable comparison...

Signed,

Someone with no connection to Philly at all (in case you wanted to try and attack me for that...)

Old 02-15-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
It does have a lot of similar characteristics to Paris, it is stupid to say it doesn't. Like I said, it is a very Americanized version
Go on please.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Most Europeans who come to the United States will do NYC & DC because they are close to each other. There are hundreds of tour buses that go back & forth between these cities daily that carry nothing but Europeans. Obviously what I have heard is skewed since I live in DC & only speak to the French people who have come to DC. But overall that is the consensus I have gotten
This is not even remotely close to true and the numbers show it... I'm not saying there's not a sizable amount of tourists that do this, or that DC isn't a great city for tourists, etc., but come on, Most Europeans who come to the United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City