Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:40 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
There is no polar vortex this year impacting the US. If you are going to use that term use it correctly.

A polar vortex is a large pocket of very cold air, typically the coldest air in the Northern Hemisphere, which sits over the polar region during the winter season.
A polar vortex can be pushed south. You left out that part. According to this First real polar vortex of season hits U.S. | WKBN.com it has affected the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 12:01 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,144 times
I find it hard to believe NYC is that safe. When I went a lot of it that I saw outside of Manhattan was pretty rough looking and people were always rude, especially to other New Yorkers. I can't tell you how many times I saw people about to get into a fist fight on the street in just the 3 days I was there.

Not to say I didn't like the city, it was gorgeous (Manhattan and Long Island outside of Queens and Brooklyn at least) and I really wanna go back ... I missed out on doing a lot of the stuff because fog and rain was there the entire time.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:15 PM

214 posts, read 300,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
A polar vortex can be pushed south. You left out that part. According to this First real polar vortex of season hits U.S. | WKBN.com it has affected the US.
Here you go if you want to read up.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/polar-vorte...ry?id=26793261
Polar Vortex to Blast 200 Million People With Arctic Air - AccuWeather.com

Now about that "vortex"... I am in Minneapolis where its 3° now compared to 17° in NYC.... The polar vortex isn't here now so its not really in NYC either. It is cold but again there is colder air to our North still which is the real polar vortex. Last year, it got stuck over Minnesota and we had air temps in the -20 to -30 range NOT including wind chill. Let me know when NYC gets that and we can talk cold.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:20 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
New Orleans: 21. At this rate, we will have 168 this year.

We have 380,000 people in this city ...

I wish we could go 10 days without a murder.
St.Louis also is up to 21.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:35 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Polar Vertex is the factor why NYC hasn't seen a murder for 10 days. What's their normal tally per year? 400? 500? Something like that. In other words, 1-2 murders per day. Now imagine why it's during this period of February when the east coast is being battered by snow and record cold, that NYC goes 10 days without a single murder?
Your numbers are a bit high. NYC had 333 murders in 2014, which works out to .912 murders per day and under 4 murders per 100,000 people: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cscity.pdf Given the rate so far, we are in line for even less than that this year.

Even without this cold weather, NYC is very safe, not that you claimed otherwise.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:42 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I find it hard to believe NYC is that safe. When I went a lot of it that I saw outside of Manhattan was pretty rough looking and people were always rude, especially to other New Yorkers. I can't tell you how many times I saw people about to get into a fist fight on the street in just the 3 days I was there.

Not to say I didn't like the city, it was gorgeous (Manhattan and Long Island outside of Queens and Brooklyn at least) and I really wanna go back ... I missed out on doing a lot of the stuff because fog and rain was there the entire time.
It's true! Though things weren't always that way. The NYPD compiles crime statistics in an easy to read document; it goes week by week but also includes year-end totals. See: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cscity.pdf Note, the category totals may seem high, but keep in mind that NYC had over 8.4 million people in 2014. Relatively speaking, NYC's crime rate is very low, especially among large cities. And this doesn't even get into the rate that the most serious violent crime in NYC, as elsewhere (i.e. homicide), basically occurs between and among gangbangers, not the overwhelming majority of law-abiding citizens.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:33 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,103 times
Killwaukee, Wisconsin is already at 18 with a population of 600k... And over there, it's usually May - September that are the high crime months.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:49 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Polar Vertex is the factor why NYC hasn't seen a murder for 10 days. What's their normal tally per year? 400? 500? Something like that. In other words, 1-2 murders per day. Now imagine why it's during this period of February when the east coast is being battered by snow and record cold, that NYC goes 10 days without a single murder?
NYC didn't have snow OR record cold. In fact, of the 10 days in question, only 3 were below freezing during the day...which is a typical weather for NYC winter. You are confusing NYC with Boston, that did have a lot of snow.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:10 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Is there a website(s) where people can go to follow current crime and murder?

Old 02-17-2015, 08:06 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
NYC just had a 10 day stretch with no murders this February...
An update: The stretch with no murders in NYC lasted 12 days. Broken by a murder in Queens.

That's almost 2 weeks with no murder. Gotta be some kind of a record.

Last edited by Gantz; 02-17-2015 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City