Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 08:49 AM

6,186 posts, read 11,790,664 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is now only +1 over last year (86 in 2015 and 85 in 2014). There is a chance this year can still finish with less murders than the year-end total for 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 08:51 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,419,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
No it is not. What's going on right now in Syria and Iraq would make Chicago seem like heaven. Are you following what's going on over there? Lol per capita Chicago isn't even top 5 in america for homicides. Lol
I would take my chances in Mexico than the worst parts of Chicago any day of the week pal.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:34 AM

11,561 posts, read 9,261,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
How large was the neighborhood though? I mean my hometown of Coralville, Iowa could see a family of 4 killed in a domestic incident in their house, but because the population of the town is only 18,000 people that means that my hometown would actually have a homicide rate of 22/100,000.

Chicago's most dangerous community area is one on the south side. It had 18 murders and only has a population of 18,000 - so the homicide rate for that area is 100/100,000.

Alternatively the 29 community areas that are the safest, generally downtown and the north side - also had 18 murders among their 1,095,000 people. Or a rate of 1.6/100,000
The areas are small (5,000) but there are quite a few areas that have such rates, it's not just one bad place ruining it. Im guessing if you combine all the areas you would have around 30 or 40 thousand people living in such conditions

Old 12-11-2015, 09:39 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,980,616 times
Chicago is no joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I posted this map on the NYC forum, but it pertains to the whole country. You can see when and where a shooting occurred in your neighborhood. My old block in the West Bronx and two deadly shootings in the past year. It's a really small block too. That block needs serious help. One was gang related.

But i'm just appalled at Chicago , literally thousands of shootings, centered around the Garfield Park neighborhood.

How does your street, block, neighborhood etc fare?

Gun deaths map: How many people have died or been injured in shootings around you?

Old 12-11-2015, 09:50 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,018,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I would take my chances in Mexico than the worst parts of Chicago any day of the week pal.
So you are saying that the worse parts of mexico are safer than the worst areas of Chicago???. Perhaps you should do research. Do you have facts to back up your previous claims. That Chicago is worse than parts of Syria, Iraq, and Mexico. Chicago isn't even the most dangerous city in America per capita. Lol don't make ridiculous claims. You will get brutally murdered in Syria, Iraq and Mexico and the video of your murder will be online. Check out some of the gore sites.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:52 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
Quote:
So you are saying that the worse parts of mexico are safer than the worst areas of Chicago???. Perhaps you should do research. Do you have facts to back up your previous claims. That Chicago is worse than parts of Syria, Iraq, and Mexico. Chicago isn't even the most dangerous city in America per capita. Lol don't make ridiculous claims. You will get brutally murdered in Syria, Iraq and Mexico and the video of your murder will be online. Check out some of the gore sites.
Well another issue is who is being killed. I've been in the most dangerous areas of Chicago, but while I definitely keep my guard up while I'm there, they're generally not horribly LOOKING and the city does do upkeep on the roads, streetlights, cleans up buildings, etc. Generally.... People are on the streets and still even in those areas most people just want to live their lives and not hurt anyone else.

*most* people who are being killed aren't moms running to the store or a guy walking home from work. Those innocent people do get hit far too often, but most of the killings are criminals/gang bangers who run around in the shadows and shoot other gang bangers at night. It's mindless and pointless and most of these guys getting killed are barely 18-25 years old. It says something when 79% of murder victims in the city have a prior arrest history and a criminal background.

Some stats from here:

82% happen outdoors
67% happen during nighttime hours
83% are shootings

Reason for Homicide:

Gang Alstercation: 27%
Other Altercation: 18%
Drugs Turf: 7%
Robbery: 9%
Retaliation: 3%
Child Abuse: 2%
Domestic Incident: 5%
Unknown: 29%

Victim between 17 and 34 years of age: 72%
Male Victim: 90%

Black Victim: 76% (33% of population)
Hispanic Victim: 19% (29% of population)
White/Asian Victim: 5% (38% of population)

Number of Victims:

White:
1991: 87
2011: 20

Black:
1991: 706
2011: 326

Hispanic:
1991: 132
2011: 82

Victim with prior arrest history: 79%

Old 12-11-2015, 12:08 PM

14,459 posts, read 11,198,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob Town Mane View Post
The south side of Boston is very white, very poor, and very dangerous. Atlanta also has some white ghettos & many ghettos in Nashville have white people in them. I wouldn't say urban poverty doesn't effect ANY white people.
Umm, absolutely incorrect!

Boston's murder rate currently sits at 36, don't know about the metro, I suppose you could add 2 or 3 murders for a total of maybe 40 in a metro of 2.5 million for a rate of about 1.6/100,000

Old 12-11-2015, 01:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,070,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob Town Mane View Post
The south side of Boston is very white, very poor, and very dangerous. Atlanta also has some white ghettos & many ghettos in Nashville have white people in them. I wouldn't say urban poverty doesn't effect ANY white people.
Where are these white ghettos in Atlanta? Atlanta really doesn't have any white ghettos at all. Most of the poorest whites are located on the outer rungs of the metro area. About 80% of 25+ year old whites have colleges degrees in Atlanta city proper.

Practically 98% of Atlanta's urban ghettos are black.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:21 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,127,237 times
I get a laugh at all the people acting like Chicago is so bad. All cities (including Chicago) are way down from twenty years ago. Twenty years ago, the Bronx alone had over seven hundred murders. The only difference is some cities became "policed states" or "policed cities." Camera's on every corner including cops everywhere. Poor Chicago really gets vilified unfairly on here. Just because their city didn't drop to levels like NYC and Los Angeles. There still much lower per rate than many cities, yet they are laughed at like they are not a city that can get it together. Even though that they have half of the murders that they had twenty years ago.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:23 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,419,032 times
Quote:
I am not afraid of these countries, I am actually more afraid of Americans, the crime here in the states is terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City