Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 08:09 PM

414 posts, read 508,362 times

Advertisements

San Diego is at 24 through October (compared to 22 last year).

Approximately 60% of murders occurred in Southeast San Diego, which is 21 sq miles large and has about 190,000 residents. The other 10 murders occurred in the other 300 sq miles of the city that has about 1.17 million.

Not too shabby...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:09 AM

362 posts, read 497,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am not afraid of these countries, I am actually more afraid of Americans, the crime here in the states is terrible.
Then maybe you should move to another country. A majority of the crap that goes on in Chicago (crime wise) is concentrated in certain neighborhoods that most of us have no business going into anyway. Every major city has this issue in certain parts...it's not widespread. It's not an epidemic through all of Chicago. There are cities in the US with worse crime rates than Chicago.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:33 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
Then maybe you should move to another country. A majority of the crap that goes on in Chicago (crime wise) is concentrated in certain neighborhoods that most of us have no business going into anyway. Every major city has this issue in certain parts...it's not widespread. It's not an epidemic through all of Chicago. There are cities in the US with worse crime rates than Chicago.
I'd move back to Japan if I could, by any means possible.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:32 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
are you japanese by birth? I am fascinated by the order and discipline and the low crime rates in that country, but it seems to be pretty tough to be a foreigner there, maybe that ethnocentrism is a factor in the low crime rates?

Its not just the low crime and great mass transit, I like those hostess bars and the nightclubs and sushi and stuff like soaplands and maid bars and love hotels, seems like a fun country!

Old 12-17-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I love Japan (and speak Japanese!), but I'd rather live in a less traditional society. You would be living a privileged life as a foreigner not having to conform to social norms and are in no way experiencing the real Japan.

I hate the gun-crazy people in America, but Japan only means a high stress career, low wages, and the sad reality that you will never be embraced by their society.

Having a miserable life that leads to you jumping in front of a train isn't the best way to go. I'll stick with the the gun wielding hicks

Old 12-18-2015, 07:32 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
are you japanese by birth? I am fascinated by the order and discipline and the low crime rates in that country, but it seems to be pretty tough to be a foreigner there, maybe that ethnocentrism is a factor in the low crime rates?

Its not just the low crime and great mass transit, I like those hostess bars and the nightclubs and sushi and stuff like soaplands and maid bars and love hotels, seems like a fun country!
I'm not born in Japan but I am half-Japanese. I do love how their culture is mostly polite and respectful, which I think is the main reason for their low crime rates. I don't think it has anything to do with their gun control laws, because other non gun related crimes are low as well. The only type of crime I think is high is perverted/sexual crimes, such as groping on trains or taking photos up skirts. I'm not sure how the rape rate is there.

I love many other things about Japan as well, either in the city of Tokyo or out in nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
I love Japan (and speak Japanese!), but I'd rather live in a less traditional society. You would be living a privileged life as a foreigner not having to conform to social norms and are in no way experiencing the real Japan.

I hate the gun-crazy people in America, but Japan only means a high stress career, low wages, and the sad reality that you will never be embraced by their society.

Having a miserable life that leads to you jumping in front of a train isn't the best way to go. I'll stick with the the gun wielding hicks
Yeah, Japan does have other problems, and it will be tough to live there as a non-Japanese. Since I'm only half and not born there, they wouldn't consider me as Japanese. So yeah, I think I'll stay in the States. It's what I know. I wish there is some place in the United States that is just like Japan, but such a place doesn't exist. Some say California is just like Japan, or New York City, Washington State, or Hawaii, but even those places are different. Georgia is sure different from Japan with the gun culture and higher crime rate. In fact, Georgia is almost the exact opposite of Japan. Florida is pretty different too.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:21 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Default City and metro murders 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Chicago gets vilified because Obama is from Chicago. Right wing newpapers made it their mission to make the city he comes from look as bad as possible, then it took it off from there and the momentum hasn't stopped.

Despite the fact that many cities have higher murder rates, it's much more fearing to say that 500-600 murders is basically a warzone vs. a city that only has 95 murders, but a higher murder rate because of a lower population.

Just my theory anyway.
I think that your theory holds up well. A city murder rate & perceived rise in murder numbers have been regularly used as a political curmudgeon against various cities over the years. In my lifetime it's previously been New York City, Washington D.C., Atlanta, etc. It was even Chicago one other time in the 1970's. At this point in time, it has been Chicago's unfortunate luck to once again bear the brunt of political ill will directed against it.
The basis of much of the current Chicago villification is rooted in the fact that it is known as being Obama's hometown. Remember the right wing ill will early on in the Obama presidency when Chicago was a finalist in the competition to be awarded the Olympics? I'd never before seen an American news network & a core of pundits actively root against an American city much less cheer wholeheartedly when it was not awarded the Olympics. It was truly shameful, politically-based animus & I was ashamed that Americans could be so petty so as to be glad for a failed Olympic bid by one of it's cities.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Japan does have other problems, and it will be tough to live there as a non-Japanese. Since I'm only half and not born there, they wouldn't consider me as Japanese. So yeah, I think I'll stay in the States. It's what I know. I wish there is some place in the United States that is just like Japan, but such a place doesn't exist. Some say California is just like Japan, or New York City, Washington State, or Hawaii, but even those places are different. Georgia is sure different from Japan with the gun culture and higher crime rate. In fact, Georgia is almost the exact opposite of Japan. Florida is pretty different too.
I highly recommend Hawaii if you are serious about your move. There is a very long history of Japanese people settling there and it is a nice balance between Asian and American lifestyles.

Living in Japan is very complicated, which is my my partner now lives here.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:11 PM

387 posts, read 356,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I think that your theory holds up well. A city murder rate & perceived rise in murder numbers have been regularly used as a political curmudgeon against various cities over the years. In my lifetime it's previously been New York City, Washington D.C., Atlanta, etc. It was even Chicago one other time in the 1970's. At this point in time, it has been Chicago's unfortunate luck to once again bear the brunt of political ill will directed against it.
The basis of much of the current Chicago villification is rooted in the fact that it is known as being Obama's hometown. Remember the right wing ill will early on in the Obama presidency when Chicago was a finalist in the competition to be awarded the Olympics? I'd never before seen an American news network & a core of pundits actively root against an American city much less cheer wholeheartedly when it was not awarded the Olympics. It was truly shameful, politically-based animus & I was ashamed that Americans could be so petty so as to be glad for a failed Olympic bid by one of it's cities.

The Right Wing is just as pathetic (and petty/dishonest) as the Left Wing is....

I have absolutely no doubt that most of their obsessing over Chicago is because it's Obama's hometown (and because of it's relatively strict gun laws)....No doubt at all....Before OBAMMMA the Right Wing used to get all butthurt about San Fransisco (that used to be the Right Wings whipping boy city) because its a cultural leftist city, but once Obama got elected they abandoned that and went full in on Chicago....

I used to listen to Sean Hannity on the radio for awhile (just for entertainment purposes) and to me he is just as pathetic as any hardcore Leftist....

Old 12-18-2015, 08:44 PM

448 posts, read 591,881 times
Anyone have any numbers? It's getting closer to the end of the year.

New Orleans at 151
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City